XCOM 2 - Now On Consoles

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Pretty much any problem like this can be solved by A) restarting Steam and B) verifying integrity of cache. No need to panic just yet...

Yea, I already tried those. Just going to chalk this up to Steam being Steam and see if it works tomorrow. Oddly enough, that has sorted out a few Steam related problems I've had.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Welp, I just had the Avenger base defense mission... and I officially have PTSD now.:laugh:

I'm going to be starting over. I lagged behind on tech for way too long, and all my veterans have been wiped out. I don't have the patience to try to rebuild the squad at this point.

I think I learned a lot though, I'm looking forward to the next playthrough.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Yea, I already tried those. Just going to chalk this up to Steam being Steam and see if it works tomorrow. Oddly enough, that has sorted out a few Steam related problems I've had.

Fair enough, just those 2 things have solved every Steam issue I have ever had. Hope you get it going, as frustrating as the game is...

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Welp, I just had the Avenger base defense mission... and I officially have PTSD now.:laugh:

I'm going to be starting over. I lagged behind on tech for way too long, and all my veterans have been wiped out. I don't have the patience to try to rebuild the squad at this point.

I think I learned a lot though, I'm looking forward to the next playthrough.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking, just start over with knowledge. My missions are a full on bloodbath now and I am on easy level.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
the problem is the $80 cnd price tag. ($100 with dlc's)

$60 usd = $83.50 cdn
$80 cdn = $57.49 usd
Game is being sold on Steam for $59.99 here, so...yawn. Deflation sucks, but they're still making less on Canadian sales than they are on American ones.

My second play-through is going way better than my first was...need a couple of good results if my current play-through has any hope, though.

This is the game that may finally get me to invest in a SSD...the load times are killing me.

Last edited:

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Hit probability from EU is still there. If two people target the same soldier and one hits while the other misses, it will always be like that. Did a test, had a ranger next to an alien and she missed with her sword, next trooper hit the target. Reloaded, trooper misses, ranger hits. Percentage doesn't matter

Yes, reload does that. Seeds are done so once you do an action it is set and results will always be the same (just like Civ). However, if you change tactics or do something different it changes.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
waiting until the price drops. $80 is expensive

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/xcom-2-pc-cd-key-steam

$55 canadian on this site. Registers on steam and works just fine. I have used this site a few times.

About the game itself, I absolutely love the way the AI works, 10 times smarter and more realistic. I'm still really early in the game but I just played a battle where I ambushed a pod (fantastic new mechanic btw) but didn't manage to take it out entirely. Instead of just attacking me 1 vs 4 the remaining enemy threw out a reinforcements flare, then retreated into a building and joined up with another pod that I hadn't found yet. Fighting the new reinforced pod + the reinforcements was much more challenging then him just mindlessly attacking me.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/xcom-2-pc-cd-key-steam

$55 canadian on this site. Registers on steam and works just fine. I have used this site a few times.

About the game itself, I absolutely love the way the AI works, 10 times smarter and more realistic. I'm still really early in the game but I just played a battle where I ambushed a pod (fantastic new mechanic btw) but didn't manage to take it out entirely. Instead of just attacking me 1 vs 4 the remaining enemy threw out a reinforcements flare, then retreated into a building and joined up with another pod that I hadn't found yet. Fighting the new reinforced pod + the reinforcements was much more challenging then him just mindlessly attacking me.

Wow .., thanks!!! Def will buy it now.

Loved xcom since the original

Damn. Will that work for Mac?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Never had a Mac so I've never really looked to see what is compatible. All they are selling is an activation code for steam though, so if steam says it will work on your computer then it will.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

It's a Steam code, so it'll work for any platform the game works for (in this case it's PC, Mac, and Linux). Now if your Mac can actually run it...that's up to your individual machine. I can't even imagine how horribly this thing would run on my MacBook Air.

Buying codes isn't the most...legitimate way to buy a product, but it still results in a game being sold so...yeah. I greenman'd it myself when they had a 24% off coupon (basic 20% right now).

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
It's a Steam code, so it'll work for any platform the game works for (in this case it's PC, Mac, and Linux). Now if your Mac can actually run it...that's up to your individual machine. I can't even imagine how horribly this thing would run on my MacBook Air.

Buying codes isn't the most...legitimate way to buy a product, but it still results in a game being sold so...yeah. I greenman'd it myself when they had a 24% off coupon (basic 20% right now).

I see it as compensation for digital games being the same price as hard copies. If its a smaller studio that needs some love I might go out of my way to buy it from them, like Red Hook with their game Darkest Dungeon (which I would recommend to anyone who likes XCom).

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Just to make sure so I don't mess up with the loot, when you get into the square are you supposed to do anything or do they pick it up automatically provided you stop in the loot square?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Just a note for people. When you have a mission that involves an evac if you end a soldiers second action in the evac zone it forces him to evac. I thought I would get my guys ready for a quick exit once we had the VIP out but it left me short handed to end the mission.

Also, don't throw a grenade and light the evac zone on fire. :laugh:

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Just a note for people. When you have a mission that involves an evac if you end a soldiers second action in the evac zone it forces him to evac. I thought I would get my guys ready for a quick exit once we had the VIP out but it left me short handed to end the mission.

Also, don't throw a grenade and light the evac zone on fire. :laugh:

One of my favorite things to do in VIP missions, after I clear the map and secure the VIP, is evac a few soldiers and leave a Sharpshooter, a Ranger, and one other unit spread out around where ADVENT is sending reinforcements. I get the Sharpshooter on a good perch and set him up with Killzone, then put the other units in position with easy reaction shots in case he misses. It's a nasty little surprise for the dopes who step off that airship, that's for damn sure. :laugh:

I just finished the game. The final mission wasn't as satisfying as beating the Uber Ethereal at the end of Enemy Unknown, but I it sure was a whole hell of a lot harder, and a lot buggier, too. I'm going to wait a while before jumping back in, I think, and see if Firaxis can patch some of the bugs and performance issues.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
If you guys are having long loading times, hit the caps lock button on the loading screen. It will freeze the loading screen but load way faster.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
This game looks amazing, but I haven't even played Enemy Unknown yet. :laugh:

They are basically the same game. Xcom2 is just prettier, but the gameplay, missions and story is almost identical to Xcom. I am loving it but I wore out Xcom in the summer when I was layed up in the hospital and now wanted a new something. Xcom2 is great, but if the price is at all an issue Xcom + DLC is just as good (and usually cheap); just not as many customizations in Xcom (but almost all of those are purely cosmetic) - other than that it is the basically same game, just prettier. It is not at all like going from Civ IV to Civ V where gameplay changed dramatically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad