XCOM 2 - Now On Consoles

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Any new content announced yet? Beat it on Ironman but am having a hard time getting the urge to opening it up again

The first DLC is coming out soon.

Honestly replay value of this game should be high with all the mods. Not quite as high as Civ though!

Last edited:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I was planning on starting my first replay of this yesterday when I saw there is some DLC coming out tomorrow. New missions, weapons, and enemies. Anyone else planning on getting it?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
So this comes out on console next week. Thinking of picking it up for my birthday since Skyrim SE isn't out for another month......from what I can gather its not going to have mod support on XB1 though?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
So I picked this up on XB1 yesterday - first Xcom game I've ever played, incredibly.

Maybe I'm just new at this, but man is it hard! Played the first few missions, and haven't had one yet where I didn't lose at least 1 soldier, some where I've had to replay the mission as I lost my entire team. And this is on the easiest difficulty haha

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Playing through it a third time on PC...this remains my game of the year to this point.

What was less fun was finding out that a mod was screwing up my drops after not paying close enough attention for about a dozen hours, meaning I had to start over again to actually advance the story...that was rather infuriating.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
So I picked this up on XB1 yesterday - first Xcom game I've ever played, incredibly.

Maybe I'm just new at this, but man is it hard! Played the first few missions, and haven't had one yet where I didn't lose at least 1 soldier, some where I've had to replay the mission as I lost my entire team. And this is on the easiest difficulty haha

I haven't picked up the 2nd game yet; but played the last one and that was exactly what it was like, you can't get too attached to your guys, because they are going to die.

Hope to pick this one up soon, the last one was one of my favorite games of the last generation of consoles.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I actually hooked up my PS3 a few months ago just to reply the first one. Amazing game, still fun years later.

What's the difference between the two? I love the first one but if it's just updated graphics I don't know if I want to shell out full price for the second right now...

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I actually hooked up my PS3 a few months ago just to reply the first one. Amazing game, still fun years later.

What's the difference between the two? I love the first one but if it's just updated graphics I don't know if I want to shell out full price for the second right now...

Well, instead of defending against the invasion... the invasion has already succeeded, and you're the rebellion in this one. It's a very interesting take on things imo. Everything has pretty much been improved, from the units to the items etc. If you liked the first one you'll love this one too.

If you don't wanna shell out the dough, wait for it to go on sale. Though honestly I think it's worth the money.

New classes, you can loot stuff, carry people to extraction, new aliens, etc. It's about what you'd expect from a sequel. Still haven't beaten it, I've been working like a dog for months now, but having played it a couple hours here and there it's excellent.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So many missions being timed can be a major drag for people, that ought to be mentioned.

It puts a lot of pressure on the player and it took me a while to get used to it, I was stressed out a ton at first.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
So many missions being timed can be a major drag for people, that ought to be mentioned.

It puts a lot of pressure on the player and it took me a while to get used to it, I was stressed out a ton at first.

I've seen this in some of the reviews and it does worry me. I liked to move really slowly in the previous game. Couldn't stand those panic missions with the parasites and zombies that forced you to move quickly.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I've seen this in some of the reviews and it does worry me. I liked to move really slowly in the previous game. Couldn't stand those panic missions with the parasites and zombies that forced you to move quickly.

If you get it on PC you can get some mods to either get rid of the timers or make them a bit more forgiving.

Honestly it makes the game so much more fun but it does require some getting used to and being ok with soldiers dying or getting left behind more so than in the reboot.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If you get it on PC you can get some mods to either get rid of the timers or make them a bit more forgiving.

Honestly it makes the game so much more fun but it does require some getting used to and being ok with soldiers dying or getting left behind more so than in the reboot.

Can you name some of the mods you recommend (if you remember them)?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Can you name some of the mods you recommend (if you remember them)?

Stop Wasting my Time
Evac All
Gotcha
Quiet Bradford
Instant Avenger Menus
Overwach All/Others

Are the ones I used

As far ones that modify the timers, just look through the Steam Workshop, there are a bunch: some disable timers entirely while others give you extra turns.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I actually enjoyed the timers.

I lost a soldier or two along the way but it brought a new element of having to move with speed. Mobility of your soldiers becomes a huge factor.

X-Com 2 is similar to X-Com 1 where your first third of the game results in some pretty heavy casualties but the increase in skill and tech soon makes it a pretty rare event.

I have to admit that I felt that X-Com 2 ultimately lost a degree of complexity compared with the first one.

You can't interrogate aliens any more, only autopsy them. There was a degree of fun and challenge in capturing every type of alien alive.

The add-on of mechs and genetic enhancements was a neat wrinkle that they did away with completely in the sequel. Psionics are a specific class as opposed to seeing which soldiers possessed psionic abilities - which meant you could have pretty cool class combinations.

Also, there are no aerial interceptions anymore.

I get that they were focusing on the squad combat elements more specifically, but some of the extraneous stuff was fun too.

I found it interesting that the sequel actually pared down on the amount of complexity as opposed to increasing it. I found that a little disappointing.

There -is- nothing quite like running into an alien you've never seen before - unfortunately that only really surprises you on your first play-through. It was neat that they changed the abilities of the aliens - even the ones from the first game.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Stop Wasting my Time
Evac All
Gotcha
Quiet Bradford
Instant Avenger Menus
Overwach All/Others

Are the ones I used

As far ones that modify the timers, just look through the Steam Workshop, there are a bunch: some disable timers entirely while others give you extra turns.

I used the first two and definitely recommend them.

The timers weren't a huge issue for me early on, but I definitely prefer having more time. One of my favorite things about the game is that there is no one single right way to beat a mission (or at least the extreme majority of them), but the timer on certain missions made you play a certain way to have a hope...wasn't a huge fan of that, especially since my team really wasn't constructed to be a quick-strike offensive force.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just finally got all the DLC for XCOM2. Started a new campaign and having crashing issues all over the place just like when it was first released again. Is this a known issue? I am re-verifying my game cache hoping that'll help. This is one of my favourite games ever but damn the crashing issues make it hard for me to find the motivation to play.

EDIT: Verifying game cache seems to have worked. So I guess you just have to do that if you ever go a month or more between playing the game it seems.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad