XCOM 2 - Now On Consoles

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
They are basically the same game. Xcom2 is just prettier, but the gameplay, missions and story is almost identical to Xcom. I am loving it but I wore out Xcom in the summer when I was layed up in the hospital and now wanted a new something. Xcom2 is great, but if the price is at all an issue Xcom + DLC is just as good (and usually cheap); just not as many customizations in Xcom (but almost all of those are purely cosmetic) - other than that it is the basically same game, just prettier. It is not at all like going from Civ IV to Civ V where gameplay changed dramatically.

I actually already own Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within. I just haven't played them yet (in the backlog).

Probably give those a shot before sinking the money into XCOM 2.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I actually already own Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within. I just haven't played them yet (in the backlog).

Probably give those a shot before sinking the money into XCOM 2.

I gave them a re-play last month since I never actually finished vanilla Enemy Unknown and didn't touch Enemy Within...I'd say play through those first since going back after playing 2 may be a little difficult (not that 2 is some giant leap forward, just that everything is slightly better).

As for 2...beat it last night. That was ****ing intense.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
The 'original' modern XCOM certainly isn't a necessity to play before this one. This is basically that game, but better. The story isn't why you play this game.

I've been enjoying the X2 story. That's not to say it's super compelling or oscar worthy, but it's not complete **** like with many other games out there.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
The only 'major' issue I've run into is the screen freezing during the briefing/debriefing messages (Skyranger) while en route or while evac'ing. The audio plays, but the video freezes up for a few seconds and then resumes.

Still frustrating when you're right next to an enemy and have a 80% to hit, yet you somehow miss.

Recommend the Trooper Class mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618090572&searchtext=

there's also a bunch cosmetic packs that ad a lot (armor pattern, tats/paint, head gear etc)

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Well, I beat the game. On easy mind you.:laugh:

I'm gonna start a new game right away, but at least I can be more casual now.

[spoil]The Elders warned about some unknown threat in the final battle of X-Com as well right? It's been awhile since I beat it.(I realize that ending is not canon, I'm just thinking about X-Com 3)
I could see an expansion where you clean up the remaining Advent forces on Earth after the final battle. I want to shoot the Speaker in the face.
[/spoil]

Last edited:

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well, I beat the game. On easy mind you.:laugh:

I'm gonna start a new game right away, but at least I can be more casual now.

[spoil]The Elders warned about some unknown threat in the final battle of X-Com as well right? It's been awhile since I beat it.(I realize that ending is not canon, I'm just thinking about X-Com 3)
I could see an expansion where you clean up the remaining Advent forces on Earth after the final battle. I want to shoot the Speaker in the face.
[/spoil]

Yeah, I had to beat it on easy because of the last mission. Not even that - the last room of the last mission. Great God Almighty, what a slog. Definitely needed every single reaction shot to pull that off and still lost a couple of people. I also ran into a weird graphical glitch where the entire ocean started blinking in and out with a slew of very bright colors. Although I will say...

[spoil]Having the final battle occur in the middle of the ocean perfectly sets up the inevitable Terror from the Deep remake.[/spoil]

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Hotfix patch out for XCOM 2 today.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/268500/announcements/detail/843667188501609284
XCOM 2 Patch Notes
Player is unable to progress to scan in the Geoscape after completing the Resistance Communications research via Tutorial – This will fix previously affected saves.
Unable to load saves with a Chryssalid Cocoon – This will fix the issue, and for previously affected saves.
Adjustments were made to Texture Streaming to assist with periodic frame spikes.
Using the preview voice button for a modded voice pack will no longer crash the game when in the armory.
Removed 8x MSAA from default Max settings.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I listened to the Mighty Bombcast yesterday and everyone there was going on about how the game is completely broken and unplayable.

Did I luck out or is this game seriously giving a ton of people non-stop problems? The only complaint I had is about the loading times (which even that has been lightened by that weird Caps Lock trick, even if it only works on the way back from a mission).

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
So far the most annoying bugs for me have been the hang-ups, and a dark screen during the Aliens turn which happens because they're moving into my vision from the fog of war. This happens occasionally but I can deal with it.
The only game breaking bug I've encountered is that the enemy AI stopped working after a save reload and I had to quit the game completely for it to start working again. This only happened to me one time though.
I never had a time where the game crashed or crashed to desktop or anything like that.
I do have a solid computer, maybe I can just handle the bugs/performance issues better I guess...

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
I listened to the Mighty Bombcast yesterday and everyone there was going on about how the game is completely broken and unplayable.

Did I luck out or is this game seriously giving a ton of people non-stop problems? The only complaint I had is about the loading times (which even that has been lightened by that weird Caps Lock trick, even if it only works on the way back from a mission).

No problems here other than framerate chugging a bit. Got much better once I disabled dynamic shadows in the ini file though.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Welcome to the world of Internet gaming discussion! Where a narrative can overtake facts because it makes for more visible content and easier to make fun of.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
yeah, no problems here except, like was said, occasional framerate drops and load times (but really? 15 seconds is not really long), and I am running on an old machine. People whine far too loud and often. In 80hours (probably half of that idling though) I froze 1 time, no big deal as the game auto-saves so often anyhow.

Edit---in fact this whole whinny group of people that think games crash/full of bugs or just do not work make me angry. I have a computer from over 6 years ago now(other than video card) and I buy nearly every AAA game that comes out as well as a lot of non AAA games and I have yet to play a game that is unplayable because of bugs. As well, I can still run 90% of the games on max, just in the past year have I had to turn down some of the highest settings on some. Am I lucky? I do not think so; there is something wrong on their end.

Last edited:

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Game has bugged out on me, when I start the final mission it plays the cutscene but the loads my squad as if I were select them but there is no HUD and all I can do is exit out of the game completely

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I heard some people were bashing it going as far as calling it unplayable? My one GTX 680 has zero trouble playing it and I'm used to having two (my mobo died and spare has no SLI support)

I agree there have been some hiccups but saying it's unplayable is laughable from any media trying to be credible. Sounds like a bunch of attention ****** are using it as click bait. I understand just because it works for me doesn't mean it works properly for everyone. However most people don't seem to be having issues.

Guy above me who has a major game breaker, I'm not referring to you. That's a legitimate issue. Have you installed the latest patch?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I heard some people were bashing it going as far as calling it unplayable? My one GTX 680 has zero trouble playing it and I'm used to having two (my mobo died and spare has no SLI support)

I agree there have been some hiccups but saying it's unplayable is laughable from any media trying to be credible. Sounds like a bunch of attention ****** are using it as click bait. I understand just because it works for me doesn't mean it works properly for everyone. However most people don't seem to be having issues.

Guy above me who has a major game breaker, I'm not referring to you. That's a legitimate issue. Have you installed the latest patch?

I hit the bug pre-patch and fired it up again once the new patch installed and still the same issue. My fear is that the save state I'm at can't be repaired from the new patch so I'll have to go through the game again if I want to actually finish it.

As it stands now I'd give the game a 3 out of 5. Very well thought out and enjoyable but some of these hitches and bugs are unacceptable when you're only focusing on one system.

Not upset about playing it again because I did enjoy the hell out of it but it's still deflating to run into that kind of crap.

As for it being unplayable I run into massive frame lag after I come out of the first mission of the session. Also, when the computer is trying to make moves for the AI it seems to freak out and stall when it's trying to decide if that fire was enough to make that section of wall or ceiling break. Not game breaking by any means but it is incredibly annoying.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Tried restarting the campaign but the first mission glitched out on me hard when I tried to promote soldiers, got to the individual soldier screens but wouldn't load assets outside of sound and background and just hung there.

Did a full uninstall and am going to reinstall to see if that helps any.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Did a full re-install last night and every problem I was running in to is gone completely. Haven't made it to the final mission on my new playthrough yet so fingers crossed I don't run into that game breaking bug again

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
FINALLY got around to playing about 2 hours yesterday and i LOVE this game.

Just got up to a really tough mission (probably the first real "boss" level) and everyone ended up gravely wounded...now I have to wait 15 or so days till everyone is healthy again :cry:

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
FINALLY got around to playing about 2 hours yesterday and i LOVE this game.

Just got up to a really tough mission (probably the first real "boss" level) and everyone ended up gravely wounded...now I have to wait 15 or so days till everyone is healthy again :cry:

Get the Advanced Warfare Center built and put an Engineer in it. Makes your people heal up much faster.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
This game is creeping into my top 10 games. Although, my squads are getting overpowered. I have 10 top lvl soldiers and am leveling more as I am going. Most enemies do not even get a shot in before they are destroyed. Mimic beacons are seriously overpowered I think. Take 2 or 3 on a mission and I rarely even get attacked.

Anyhow, great game, though the load times are fairly annoying at times even on SSD.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
New Patch released (401 megs)

https://xcom.com/news/en-xcom-2-patch-now-live

This patch introduces new fixes, balance tweaks, and several performance optimizations in the game that should improve framerates and in-game delays overall. Players can also opt into the new “Zip Mode†option by pausing the game at any time and activating it under gameplay options. Zip Mode will create a faster paced experience that speeds up animations and some delays in gameplay.

After installing the patch, we recommend all players to go into the graphics tab under options and select “Auto Detect Graphic Settings.†Installing the patch will not rewrite your graphic settings. Players must do this manually.

The XCOM team has been working hard to improve performance, balance, and stability issues reported by our fans. A big thank you to anyone who took the time to provide feedback and submit reports. We will continue to improve the XCOM 2 experience with additional updates and patches over the coming months.

*Required User Action: If you have mods enabled after installing the patch, launch it once, close the game, and launch it again. Players will only have to do this once. After the restart, the game will have initialized the patch to work with mods. While the majority of mods will operate in harmony with the patch, some mods may conflict with patch updates and will need to be updated to take advantage of the patch improvements.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Nice

I just got this game

EDIT: well the update really worked on my end. Shadows at high were murdering my performance but now I run 60+fps on high across the board.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad