Waived: Xavier Ouellet (Cleared, assigned to Laval)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Peca they just signed this summer to that two year deal so I doubt they let him go.....Hudon is a skilled player that they drafted therefore i see them wanting to hold on to him.

Deslauriers gives them that physical presence and last years goal totals should keep him around.

Anyways, that’s how I came to that conclusion.

If the desicion was mine, Peca would be the guy that goes, therefore I hope you’re right.

I’m also glad Ouellet is the odd man out, never was a fan.
I don'think Hudon fits in what the Habs are trying to do...I think they see him as a player who has to play in the top 9 to get the best out of him.

But he's not better than any winger currently in the top 9 and the wingers on the 4th line play more of the type of game CJ is looking for out of that line.

Personally, i'm hoping MB can trade Hudon rather than waive him.

Peca's speed will keep him in this lineup IMO.

Reactions: Agalloch

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Kulak - Weber
Schlemko - Petry
Benn - Juulsen

Is the way I see it too. I would prefer Schlemko comes out & Reilly stays in.

I think they know Ouellet will clear, which means if injuries occur on D again, they have Alzner, Mete & Ouellet as back-ups in Laval. Not great depth, but it's better than it has been when we were calling up the likes of Johnston & Hanley.

Totally agree. Well almost totally... I think there's a chance Ouellet gets claimed where there are a lot of injuries around the league and he's cheap contract-wise.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Waive Chaput, easy decision IMO.

Or I would trade Hudon if anyone offers up anything of decent value, IE a 3rd round pick or LD prospect with limited NHL potential.

Hudon + for Morin?
Thing is...Chaput has made it not such an easy decision.

The 4th line actually has an identity for the first time this season and Chaput is doing something no other player can at his success rate and that's win faceoffs.

That skill alone will keep him on this roster, it was enough to force Scherbak out, it'll be enough to force Hudon out IMO.

I've really liked Chaput, nothing flashy but he's done his job as a 4th line C.

Reactions: Acadien86

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I don't think he sucked as much as some of his peers, but you know you're awful when you can't even make the team over the long list of shitty dmen we have.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Thing is...Chaput has made it not such an easy decision.

The 4th line actually has an identity for the first time this season and Chaput is doing something no other player can at his success rate and that's win faceoffs.

That skill alone will keep him on this roster, it was enough to force Scherbak out, it'll be enough to force Hudon out IMO.

I've really liked Chaput, nothing flashy but he's done his job as a 4th line C.

So what's Hudon's value ?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Not surprised. He can probably still play as a call-up, but considering his style and his skillset, he's a bit too slow for my tastes. He's not ahead of Kulak or Schlemko either way.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
This was expected. Ouellet is a decent replacement guy for the bottom pairing but not someone I will miss at all.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Whatever it may be...I doubt it manifests itself in a trade, it's more likely another waiver claim.

Losing Ouellet would not be a huge blow as far as our defensemen depth goes, but it would be better to keep him with Laval.

We can't afford to lose another forward on waivers now.... Froese and McCarron are the next call-ups. There's nothing down there.

Reactions: 417

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
What's the scouting report on Ouellet? According to Dreger last night, Ducks have been in the market for a LHD, which is ironic given we just traded one. It was also mentioned that we had been scouting Montreal. Perhaps Anaheim claims him?

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
What's the scouting report on Ouellet? According to Dreger last night, Ducks have been in the market for a LHD, which is ironic given we just traded one. It was also mentioned that we had been scouting Montreal. Perhaps Anaheim claims him?

I saw that too and that is why I believe he will be claimed.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Well out of all the shit MB threw at the wall on the left side Kulak might stick

Hope Ouellet is claimed so there's no risk of him returning to the Habs and really hope Schlomo is voted off the island next

Last edited:
Reactions: dinodebino

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
going to lose him too. when was the last time an NHL team lost 3 guys on waivers 1/3 into season?

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004

Terrible asset management. His deployment was unfair and I blame our development staff, especially Lefebvre. We are going to regret this. We could have gotten a 9th rounder in the next import/export expansion draft for him if we had traded him the period after he got a goal....

Oh, wait. He was a free agent pickup for the sake of insurance. Right. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Honestly I don't know what people see in Reilly. He's got some speed and can do nice passes but he sucks in his own end and his general play in the offensive zone is fake a shot and overplay it until he has to go behind the net, then he generally fails a pass and causes a turnover.

I don't like Schlemko either but Benn plays a much bettet game this year.

And Ouellet? Well the only reason people care is probably his name because he brings nothing special to the game. Below average shot, average passing, bad skating, not physical.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
going to lose him too. when was the last time an NHL team lost 3 guys on waivers 1/3 into season?

I doubt anyone picks up Ouellet and even if they do its no loss. The other two were scrubs as well. No loss whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad