Waived: Xavier Ouellet (Cleared, assigned to Laval)

Jul 6, 2016
Okay. The point of my post you quoted still stands. His entire cap hit comes off the books and brings the cap to over $14M.

If MB doesn't sign Peca and Plekanec, CJ has no choice but give opportunities to DLR and Scherbak.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If MB doesn't sign Peca and Plekanec, CJ has no choice but give opportunities to DLR and Scherbak.

I have no problem with the Peca and Plekanec signings. The GM needs to make sure the team has depth.

Also, at camp, both Scherbak and DLR weren't impressing. Peca may have slowed down a bit, but at camp, he was better than both Scherbak and DLR. I liked both players, but they didn't look good at camp to warrant cracking the line-up.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
We should be able to use this cap space to acquire another Mason type contract and get some good picks in return as well.

It's one of the things MB said today in his impromptu media scrum after he was asked about the cap space and how he plans to use it. He said that he's looking for a similar trade to the Joel Armia one.

Reactions: Deebs

Jul 6, 2016
I have no problem with the Peca and Plekanec signings. The GM needs to make sure the team has depth.

Also, at camp, both Scherbak and DLR weren't impressing. Peca may have slowed down a bit, but at camp, he was better than both Scherbak and DLR. I liked both players, but they didn't look good at camp to warrant cracking the line-up.

Not a good reason enough to lose them for NOTHING at all.

Reactions: montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not a good reason enough to lose them for NOTHING at all.

Placing them on waivers was the last option they chose to take. It's not because they were placed on waivers, the Habs didn't look to trade them first. Waivers was not their first, second or third option. There were no takers in a trade scenario.

It sucks that they were claimed. But I look at it more from the angle that the team actually added depth this year that forced them into these situations. The issue I take mostly here is that DLR and Scherbak showed some real good things last year. But coming into camp, where they should have grabbed the bull by the horns, they did the complete opposite. This is what disappointed me the most.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I don't think anyone expected Kotkaniemi & Domi to be so successful at C to start the year. I think that quickly made Bergevin do a re-think on how to use Pleks & DLR. We also had Byron & Shaw return early from injuries that forced our hand into waiving some of our depth.

Whenever we sign UFA's like Chaput, Agostino, Ouellet, Plekanec, Peca and add NHL ready players (without sending anyone out from our NHL roster) via trade like Kulak & Armia it becomes pretty obvious that someone has to go when we're at full strength. Ultimately, Sherbak & DLR lost out in a competitive environment and we replaced them with guys our coaches feel make us stronger.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Quick question for all. If given the choice a few weeks ago, would you:

A) Trade an asset like DLR or Sherbak for a 6th or 7th round pick
or
B) Risk losing them for nothing with the hopes they might pass through waivers and make your team stronger in Laval and possibly bounce back in time.

I'm guessing the 6th/7th looks attractive in hindsight but the actual value of those picks is pretty minimum compared to the possibility that they might pass through waivers which represents retaining an asset, strengthening Laval, and continuing their player development.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Jul 6, 2016
Placing them on waivers was the last option they chose to take. It's not because they were placed on waivers, the Habs didn't look to trade them first. Waivers was not their first, second or third option. There were no takers in a trade scenario.

It sucks that they were claimed. But I look at it more from the angle that the team actually added depth this year that forced them into these situations. The issue I take mostly here is that DLR and Scherbak showed some real good things last year. But coming into camp, where they should have grabbed the bull by the horns, they did the complete opposite. This is what disappointed me the most.

I totally agree that DLR and Scherbak did not show much during last training camp. Two possibilities: they are really lazy, uncompetitive players OR they were put on 5th and 6th line during camp where they could not show more while Peca has all the chances in the World. ???

Reactions: montreal

Jul 6, 2016
Quick question for all. If given the choice a few weeks ago, would you:

A) Trade an asset like DLR or Sherbak for a 6th or 7th round pick
or
B) Risk losing them for nothing with the hopes they might pass through waivers and make your team stronger in Laval and possibly bounce back in time.

I'm guessing the 6th/7th looks attractive in hindsight but the actual value of those picks is pretty minimum compared to the possibility that they might pass through waivers which represents retaining an asset, strengthening Laval, and continuing their player development.

Of course, you don't trade DLR or Scherbak for 6th 7th rounder.... But for 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th rounder at worst.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I totally agree that DLR and Scherbak did not show much during last training camp. Two possibilities: they are really lazy, uncompetitive players OR they were put on 5th and 6th line during camp where they could not show more while Peca has all the chances in the World. ???
I remember reading a quote from Scherbak somewhere in which he admitted that he believed that his spot on the Habs was guaranteed. If that's true, maybe he was lazy, at least just a little bit?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
But if nobody has an interest in trading for them, what is the team supposed to do?
why in hell would teams give something of value for players who didnt play a single NHL game this season ?

not even one, combined...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I remember reading a quote from Scherbak somewhere in which he admitted that he believed that his spot on the Habs was guaranteed. If that's true, maybe he was lazy, at least just a little bit?

Ummm whatever, if his name were Nick Smith his spot would have been guaranteed. It's not his fault that he assumed that the team was a meritocracy, it's what people tell him.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Ummm whatever, if his name were Nick Smith his spot would have been guaranteed. It's not his fault that he assumed that the team was a meritocracy, it's what people tell him.
pretty much, there's no reason for Peca to have a 2 year contract considering he's not a full time NHLer anyway. No reason to call-up TWO AHLers before he gets a single game try out.

Reactions: DAChampion

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
I don't see it as much as being waived, as being sent down. If he's claimed , no big deal. He's part of our wealth of 8 number 6 dmen.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Well **** all this cap space better bring us Matthews next summer.
The cap space we have now I'm pretty sure it's going to be maintained to have profits at the same level. They absolutely have an internal budget.
I don't see it as much as being waived, as being sent down. If he's claimed , no big deal. He's part of our wealth of 8 number 6 dmen.
I think you're right, it's more about having the flexibility of having Ouellet play both leagues for a month or so. I can't remember what's the delay before having to go through waivers again, but it's significant enough to do it now before Christmas.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think you're right, it's more about having the flexibility of having Ouellet play both leagues for a month or so. I can't remember what's the delay before having to go through waivers again, but it's significant enough to do it now before Christmas.

Once a player who already cleared waivers gets recalled, it's either 10 games or 30 days (whichever comes first) before they have to go through waivers again.

Reactions: vokiel

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Remember when bargain said the defence was better than ever... yet nobody claims these guys when they're waived?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->