Post-Game Talk: X(XX) - Oilers Do Colorado

Which is a bigger priority to address in the offseason?

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They really hate Kane down in Colorado. Must be all the owning. Apparently far from the first time.

Personally I loved Kane zooming the AV's bench, staring them down, skating the length of the bench and looking for any reaction. AV's heads down. f***ing Dominance and Submission.

Theres an aspect of hockey apparently not understood in places like Colorado and its intimidation. Like I said after every period everybody knew that Kadri was running scared from Kane all game and was made invisible. Kane owned on and off the ice last night. lol at Macdermid who was terrible on the ice trying to take a run at Kane and eating lumber. That was great.

like I said last night if HFOil could design a player it would be doing what Kane did last night scoring a hat trick in one period and constantly going after Kadri. I mean it doesn't get much better.

ps to anybody unfamiliar with the track above tune into 3-4 minutes and hear the buildup and then the release of melting metal power that preceded metal by a decade in 1973. I could never listen to that song without the whole block hearing it.

Last edited:

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
This is the type of play I’ve wanted to see from 97 and 29 for years. Everyone knows they can fill the net and pile up points but seeing the strong play in their own end is what will make the team around them better.
Draisaitl on the 5-3 PK was blessed. Was blocking Kadri, MacKinnon, and Makar passes with ease and frustrating them

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
They sat 4 players. It was to them. Makar playing alot to win a title isn't team indicative

We clinched. It's like saying the Oil really, really, really want to win but we scratched, Kane, Drai, Ceci and RNH
im not so sure. playing 30 mins a night for maker is tough on him and what if he got hurt?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Draisaitl on the 5-3 PK was blessed. Was blocking Kadri, MacKinnon, and Makar passes with ease and frustrating them
I specifically went to the AV's board for special tutorial on that 5 on 3 and of course not one mention of the unspeakable Drai. The only time they talk about him is dissing him. He made that pk, but on the AVs board its all salty cheese about how much the AV's sucked. Drai stole that 5 on 3 and owned. he put on a defending clinic. You won't see a better pk performance all season, anywhere. Who gets to 4 passes on one pk and pressures and erases 3 other passes. That wall all in just over a minute, on fresh ice, the perfect time to have a 5 on 3.

ps all the Colorado goals are splendid works of art. Everything McD and the Oilers score is fluky. I learn so much over there.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Draisaitl got Makar with the reverse hit but that wasn't close to an adequate response. I want to see special attention paid to Makar because he took out Draisaitl's skates last game. Nobody plays Colorado with authority. The Oilers need to.

Play Makar "hard nosed". Somewhat like Kane did against Kadri but follow through with it.

Let him know he's got it coming. Bullet train Makar Western Canadian style. Teach him a lesson in pain if he wants to send our best players crashing into the boards. You can't let it go. There has to be consequences.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I specifically went to the AV's board for special tutorial on that 5 on 3 and of course not one mention of the unspeakable Drai. The only time they talk about him is dissing him. He made that pk, but on the AVs board its all salty cheese about how much the AV's sucked. Drai stole that 5 on 3 and owned. he put on a defending clinic. You won't see a better pk performance all season, anywhere. Who gets to 4 passes on one pk and pressures and erases 3 other passes. That wall all in just over a minute, on fresh ice, the perfect time to have a 5 on 3.

ps all the Colorado goals are splendid works of art. Everything McD and the Oilers score is fluky. I learn so much over there.
I loved it when I saw it but those were brutal ass passes that never should have been attempted.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They sat 4 players. It was to them. Makar playing alot to win a title isn't team indicative

We clinched. It's like saying the Oil really, really, really want to win but we scratched, Kane, Drai, Ceci and RNH
The Av's small defenders getting folded and bent over is very indicative of the makeup of that AV's club and happens every spring. Its their achilles heel flaw.
Byram, Makar, Girard, Toews are small. You can exploit them down low. EJ is too old and injured, Manson, Macdermid can't even play.

people look at Makar alone and think somehow AV's are strong at D. I never really get that picture watching that club in the spring. I see exploit.

Reactions: Porkleaker

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
U missed the hattrick and the fact the current goalie has won his last 8 starts and is signed for next season. We also have a goalie dominating the AHL and would require clearing waivers next season.
Oh no I didn't miss that.
Just waiting for the fanbase to talk about how we haven't addressed goaltending next time our goalies slump for a few games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Draisaitl got Makar with the reverse hit but that wasn't close to an adequate response. I want to see special attention paid to Makar because he took out Draisaitl's skates last game. Nobody plays Colorado with authority. The Oilers need to.

Play Makar "hard nosed". Somewhat like Kane did against Kadri but follow through with it.

Let him know he's got it coming. Bullet train Makar Western Canadian style. Teach him a lesson in pain if he wants to send our best players crashing into the boards. You can't let it go. There has to be consequences.
Oh its coming. Makar is sneaky dirty on plays like that and the whole Oilers bench knows it. They weren't taking it easy on him and one reason why Makar was playing so pissed last night. I will credit Makar with trying to stand up to it and trying to get stronger. He's someone that clearly tries to be the best he can be in any way. But he's still on the small side of a D, and can still be beat around the net. Girard is f***ing easy. Byram too.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oh no I didn't miss that.
Just waiting for the fanbase to talk about how we haven't addressed goaltending next time our goalies slump for a few games.
Every club goes through goalie slumps maybe other than TB. Goaltending is crapshoot. Imagine if we got the goaltending COL got last night with Kuemper. We can spend Holloway+Puljujarvi+Broberg for a Gibson but there are no guarantees that he will be better than Skinner next season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I loved it when I saw it but those were brutal ass passes that never should have been attempted.
Few other players get to those passes. Leon has some long lumber, big man reach, and the anticipation and game smarts to know where a play is going before it happens. What you saw on that pk is what makes Drai a great player. His reads and his ability to get in plays. yet I wonder if any of it is credited ever to TKA stats. Drais ability to own without the puck is tremendously underrated and his wingspan circumference of coverage in own zone is almost unprecedented. he erases so much space and this was on a 5 on 3. The whole crowd knew it. Drai got an ovation for that one.

The thing is Drai gets to those passes, and he barely got to them and needed all his inches. Most defenders wouldn't get there. The 2nd best at getting to pucks on pk is Nuge. Both anticipate great. But Drai has much more reach and longer stick.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I noticed they don't update the site daily as well. Last night it was Gord Dwyer and Kelly Sutherland. Sutherland is probably a butthurt Canucks fan from all those years of the Oilers greats traumatizing the Canucks.

I'm legitimately more concerned with who the league assigns to officiate the Oilers games. It's the refs they're going to have to beat.

Awesome post, 100% truth. I have a ton of buddies who work in law enforcement. Whether they're RCMP, city police or traffic Sheriffs they all say the same thing...it's not the person strangers hate, it's the uniform.

I think the game has passed Tippett by. His stubbornness and straight up refusal to adapt both long term and short term (in game) cost him his job and reputation. Starting to throw some guys under the bus while protecting others didn't do him any favors whatsoever with the room. His old "tried and true methods" don't work anymore. He was out coached by Jeremy Colliton in the play-ins. I don't have any I'll-will towards him either but Holland sat on his hands about 6 or 7 games too long.

In contrast, look at Woodcroft and how he handles interviews. The first question Gene gave him tonight post game was worded something like "you clinched a playoff spot tonight". Jay responded by saying he didn't clinch anything, it was the team. That's the type of stuff that has a team going to war for each other.

Because the Oilers are becoming great again. ;)

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Every club goes through goalie slumps maybe other than TB. Goaltending is crapshoot. Imagine if we got the goaltending COL got last night with Kuemper. We can spend Holloway+Puljujarvi+Broberg for a Gibson but there are no guarantees that he will be better than Skinner next season.
Since Fuhr/Moog, we haven't drafted and developed a starting goalie.

In that time... I wonder how many starting goalies the Bruins, Lightning, Ducks, Canucks and Predators have drafted and/or developed.

It obviously isn't a crap shoot if your organization knows what they're doing.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Completely agree--

I was impressed with his response. "Don't thank me--thank the players because they did it"-- was a very mature and responsible answer.

In contrast I found Tippet to be aloof when asked about the team's fortunes.

He came onto the scene with a (supposedly) big resume behind him and he coasted on that. I really got the feeling in his interviews that he didn't think he answered to anybody--including Holland.

He might be the nicest guy in the world away from the rink but I think the players were done with his old boy stuff. I recall that when he was hired Mc-D wasn't thrilled and had probably heard some stuff through the league's grapevine.

At any rate, the right move was made in time and now the guys will find out how good they really are starting in about 10 days. I'm excited and looking forward to it.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
Kane enjoyed Keith's fudging pass

kane-enjoyed-fudging-pass.gif

DegeN9

Apr 24, 2017
Quick update on Nurse is that keeping him out is precautionary. He should be ready to go for round 1 playoffs.

From a hockey perspective I think we will be okay. Bouchard has taken a huge step and looks better and better the more responsibility is thrown at him. Keith-Ceci can eat significant minutes against top end guys from what I’ve seen. Keith had a tough game against Minnesota but since than he has been solid. We should round out the season fine even without Nurse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad