Post-Game Talk: X(XX) - Oilers Do Colorado

Which is a bigger priority to address in the offseason?

• Total voters

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Quick update on Nurse is that keeping him out is precautionary. He should be ready to go for round 1 playoffs.

From a hockey perspective I think we will be okay. Bouchard has taken a huge step and looks better and better the more responsibility is thrown at him. Keith-Ceci can eat significant minutes against top end guys from what I’ve seen. Keith had a tough game against Minnesota but since than he has been solid. We should round out the season fine even without Nurse.
Source?

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
Quick update on Nurse is that keeping him out is precautionary. He should be ready to go for round 1 playoffs.

From a hockey perspective I think we will be okay. Bouchard has taken a huge step and looks better and better the more responsibility is thrown at him. Keith-Ceci can eat significant minutes against top end guys from what I’ve seen. Keith had a tough game against Minnesota but since than he has been solid. We should round out the season fine even without Nurse.
Thanks for the update! Close to clinching home ice, once that's done I would've been hoping they rest him and some others anyway.

Reactions: Section337

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Would've been nice if Bakersfield wasn't decimated by injuries. It'd be a good time to get a look at Sammy, Nemo or Broberg on this roadie with Nurse out.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I believe you've called things accurately in the past so that would be good news.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Because it wasn’t meaningless.
It pretty much was though in the grand scheme. They've won the western conference, and outside of a presidents trophy what exactly does it matter? The Oilers did everything they should have and thats what matters.

As professional athletes you should always be giving an honest effort, but people are absolutely lying to themselves if they think teams who are locked in don't take their foot off the gas a bit heading into the post season.

Reactions: belair

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It pretty much was though in the grand scheme. They've won the western conference, and outside of a presidents trophy what exactly does it matter? The Oilers did everything they should have and thats what matters.

As professional athletes you should always be giving an honest effort, but people are absolutely lying to themselves if they think teams who are locked in don't take their foot off the gas a bit heading into the post season.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost our next game. There’s going to be a huge emotional letdown facing Columbus and it’s an 11 AM start.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost our next game. There’s going to be a huge emotional letdown facing Columbus and it’s an 11 AM start.
Im hoping we don't see McDrai getting stupid minutes in an attempt to win more season awards. I'd rather see them throttle back a bit, maybe try and get some other guys firing on the PP and in general heading into the games that now really matter.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Im hoping we don't see McDrai getting stupid minutes in an attempt to win more season awards. I'd rather see them throttle back a bit, maybe try and get some other guys firing on the PP and in general heading into the games that now really matter.
It’s Woodcroft. I doubt you’ll see him overplay anyone.

OilerMcLord

Oct 9, 2003
I actually hope that they come out like gangbusters against the BJs to clinch 2nd place and then take a breather before the playoffs.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
That's a good point. I think that McDavid will still win the Ross as he's started his late-season surge, so I'm not too worried about that. Draisaitl, on the other hand, has pretty much put himself out of contention for the Rocket by pissing away the golden opportunity to inch closer to Matthews during Matthews' injury. I still think Draisaitl's nursing some bumps as the only good game he's played since his injury was against Nashville. Hopefully he's just saving his energy for when it really matters.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Completely agree--

I was impressed with his response. "Don't thank me--thank the players because they did it"-- was a very mature and responsible answer.

In contrast I found Tippet to be aloof when asked about the team's fortunes.

He came onto the scene with a (supposedly) big resume behind him and he coasted on that. I really got the feeling in his interviews that he didn't think he answered to anybody--including Holland.

He might be the nicest guy in the world away from the rink but I think the players were done with his old boy stuff. I recall that when he was hired Mc-D wasn't thrilled and had probably heard some stuff through the league's grapevine.

At any rate, the right move was made in time and now the guys will find out how good they really are starting in about 10 days. I'm excited and looking forward to it.

Yep, exactly...keep looking forward, it doesn't do any good to keep looking behind.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It’s Woodcroft. I doubt you’ll see him overplay anyone.
The Art Ross and Rocket Richard trophies are at stake. You better believe that Connor and Leon want that hardware because no one can guarantee a Conn Smythe or a Stanley Cup.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Since Fuhr/Moog, we haven't drafted and developed a starting goalie.

In that time... I wonder how many starting goalies the Bruins, Lightning, Ducks, Canucks and Predators have drafted and/or developed.

It obviously isn't a crap shoot if your organization knows what they're doing.
The only case u have is TB.
BOS and ANA didn't win the cup with goalies they drafted, Canucks and NSH haven't won much.
Goalies are crapshoot especially young ones. see Forsberg, Binnington Hart etc.

We can't even say with confidence that Gibson or Husso will be better than Driedger or Gustavsson(OTT) next season

Bourgault looks good but we had a chance to draft a good goalie last draft but chose not to

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Art Ross and Rocket Richard trophies are at stake. You better believe that Connor and Leon want that hardware because no one can guarantee a Conn Smythe or a Stanley Cup.
I don’t think they care as much this year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don’t think they care as much this year.
They care, just look at Drai's reaction to his 50th goal. You can be motivated for individual and team success. If you asked either if they'd take an individual award or the cup I'm sure that both would take the cup without thinking twice. That said the individual awards are important too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad