Post-Game Talk: X(XX) - Oilers Do Colorado

Which is a bigger priority to address in the offseason?

• Total voters

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yep, exactly...keep looking forward, it doesn't do any good to keep looking behind.

Exactly-- I remember a day when it looked like the club was leaving town so let's enjoy it. Win or lose--those Mc-D rushes won't last forever so drink it all in and have fun. What happened to Bossy and Lafleur should remind us that life is very short.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
They care, just look at Drai's reaction to his 50th goal. You can be motivated for individual and team success. If you asked either if they'd take an individual award or the cup I'm sure that both would take the cup without thinking twice. That said the individual awards are important too.
And the two are actually tied to some extent. Scoring goals means getting points but it also means winning games. Draisaitl hasn't looked too interested in winning the Rocket lately, too, which surprises me since you can tell that McDavid is definitely making a surge to secure the Ross.

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
The only case u have is TB.
BOS and ANA didn't win the cup with goalies they drafted, Canucks and NSH haven't won much.
Goalies are crapshoot especially young ones. see Forsberg, Binnington Hart etc.

We can't even say with confidence that Gibson or Husso will be better than Driedger or Gustavsson(OTT) next season

Bourgault looks good but we had a chance to draft a good goalie last draft but chose not to
He’s not a “good goalie” till he’s actually made the NHL.Give it a rest till that happens please.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He’s not a “good goalie” till he’s actually made the NHL.Give it a rest till that happens please.
Demko, swayman, Saros weren't good goalies at one point either.

You have to draft and be patient something we could have done with Wallstedt.. No one will just give us a good goalie.

Skinner should be given a fair shot next season .. I would try to pry Gustavsson away from OTT for cheap and go with 3 headed monster for a bit.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They care, just look at Drai's reaction to his 50th goal. You can be motivated for individual and team success. If you asked either if they'd take an individual award or the cup I'm sure that both would take the cup without thinking twice. That said the individual awards are important too.
They care, but they don’t care as much. If Woodcroft suggests they rest a game I’m sure they won’t make a big stink about it.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It pretty much was though in the grand scheme. They've won the western conference, and outside of a presidents trophy what exactly does it matter? The Oilers did everything they should have and thats what matters.

As professional athletes you should always be giving an honest effort, but people are absolutely lying to themselves if they think teams who are locked in don't take their foot off the gas a bit heading into the post season.
Flames, Penguins etc must have taken their foot off the gas then..
There is no need to defend COL.. Oilers were the better team last night..

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Finally caught up on the thread, took my time to soak it in (nice to see so many pages after a win :sarcasm: )

Hell of a game to be at, top 3 of any game I've been to live (just after Game 2 against the Sharks and Game 6 against the Ducks 16-17). Definitely had more than a few pops while enjoying 'Clinchmas'. Went to 'Odd Company Brewing' before the game (great beer and the home-made style to the burgers was refreshing, definitely recommended) and had one after the game at 'The Backyard', a pop up outdoor bar just south of the CN Tower parking lot. Really nice to have so close to the arena. They server local brews exclusively. It'll be a fun spot for the playoff run and spontaneous summer parties

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
BOS and ANA didn't win the cup with goalies they drafted, Canucks and NSH haven't won much.

We can't even say with confidence that Gibson or Husso will be better than Driedger or Gustavsson(OTT) next season

Bourgault looks good but we had a chance to draft a good goalie last draft but chose not to
A good lower level goalie does mean he is a can't miss at the NHL level . Heck he has even played in North America with the smaller ice surface which can throw his angles off . You are right that goalies are a crapshoot so I am not sure why you are so concern about use not drafting one .

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Flames, Penguins etc must have taken their foot off the gas then..
There is no need to defend COL.. Oilers were the better team last night..
Im not defending them. And the Oilers were the better team thats why they won. Again I'm just saying people are crazy if they believe teams are going just as hard at the end of the season after they've very handily locked up the conference than they do during the earlier parts of the year. Its not some insane notion. It happens in every sport.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A good lower level goalie does mean he is a can't miss at the NHL level . Heck he has even played in North America with the smaller ice surface which can throw his angles off . You are right that goalies are a crapshoot so I am not sure why you are so concern about use not drafting one .
It is not very often a goalie is ranked in the first round. This specific one fell down to our laps and could have easily been gone before Cossa. Lower level really?

Goalies are indeed crapshoot but if u are expecting a swayman, Saros or Demko then u should have taken a chance over Bourgault.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was wondering if Drai’s reaction to that goal was just relief. He was clearly injured during that game and may have been wondering if that game was going to be the last chance he had for a while to get 50.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

At the end of the day those teams have consistently had goaltending and we haven't won a cup in 30 years so who cares who has won what.

I was stating that goaltending isn't a crapshoot.

And Boston got Rask via trading away a goaltender they drafted and developed.

In the end if was Boston's ability to draft and develop goaltenders that got them an even better goalie.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
At the end of the day those teams have consistently had goaltending and we haven't won a cup in 30 years so who cares who has won what.

I was stating that goaltending isn't a crapshoot.

And Boston got Rask via trading away a goaltender they drafted and developed.

In the end if was Boston's ability to draft and develop goaltenders that got them an even better goalie.
That's my point as well.. draft the f***ing potential franchise goalie that fell in your lap. The kid would be our #1 prospect had we drafted him. Bourgault is a minor upgrade over Petrov/Savoie/Holloway if at all

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Im hoping we don't see McDrai getting stupid minutes in an attempt to win more season awards. I'd rather see them throttle back a bit, maybe try and get some other guys firing on the PP and in general heading into the games that now really matter.
I’d rather them try and get the first unit firing on the powerplay

Reactions: Stoneman89

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I’d rather them try and get the first unit firing on the powerplay
Im not worried about those guys. Some other guys getting a goal or two heading in might be good for confidence. Especially when the games all get tighter and we dont want to have to rely on the big guns for everything again.

Obviously though I agree we'd like to see them tighten that up a bit.

forlecious commander

Apr 11, 2022
Lol- Holland rushes to sign guys like Shore and Barrie- but waits for guys like Woodcroft and Manson. Makes total sense.
Cmon Debbie Downer, Holland has built a pretty nice team here. So we drop everything and get Woodcroft and Manson signed? Makes total sense
RELAX and enjoy the playoffs and stop being a critic

Reactions: oilers'72

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Cmon Debbie Downer, Holland has built a pretty nice team here. So we drop everything and get Woodcroft and Manson signed? Makes total sense
RELAX and enjoy the playoffs and stop being a critic

He actually has built an incredibly flawed team with massive overpays everywhere

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
robin-williams.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad