Post-Game Talk: [x-Toronto Maple Leafs] Win 4-1

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
loving the Thornton - Brooks - Spezza line. Brooks looks like he has a shot to be an everyday player in 2021-22 season at this point. Hell if he continues this level of play, I'd have zero concerns putting him on the ice in the playoffs. Doesn't play a risky game at all, has the ability to distribute the puck far better than most 4th liners, and has been relentless in puck retrieval. Its an abortion of a line on paper, but the product has been outstanding. Maybe it's just my eyes deceiving me, but it felt like the entirety of their 10+ minutes last night was played in MTL's end. The recent point production from that line will likely fizzle off, but they have controlled play most of the time IMO

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Love Keefe calling out Foligno. Dude has been dog shit for the most part. First rounder for that is disgusting and I was on board with the trade. Still think he’s adjusting so hopefully he starts looking like himself soon

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I'd like to see Keefe give some of the boys a rest tomorrow. Sub in Liljegren for Holl, Engvall for Thornton, Robertson for Galchenyuk, Rittich for Campbell, those sorts of moves. It's our last B2B game and I don't want to see anyone hurt in a meaningless game, give the others a chance to dangle their feet and provide some incentive for everyone to feel a part of the team. The rest of the season sees us with one 3 day break (May 4 and 7) and one 4 day break (May 9 and 13). We finish on the 15th. I'd like to see us win as many of our last 7 as possible, but I'd rather see the team rested, healthy, and an 'all hands on board/all for one, one for all' mentality bouncing through the dressing room. I'm curious to see if and how Keefe tries to slide in Andersen and Nash.
Well Spezz is almost 100% guaranteed not to play tonight. I remember reading something that he had a verbal agreement not to play B2B games when he signed his last deal, and that only by absolute necessity should he be made available in that fashion. They gave him the last B2B off if I'm not mistaken, I assume they'll do the same tonight

Reactions: meefer

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
I know this is early, but who do you guys think Toronto matches up better with Habs or Flames?

(if you look at both schedules, I don’t think that race is over yet haha)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Workmanlike effort for our Leafs. Complete domination. Soupy soupy soupy baby keep makin all da normal saves and a couple big boy saves too. Great to finally beat other teams tenders. Wow that 4th line with Brooks is playing outstanding. Shocking really. Gonna be hard to take him out. Gotta think Keefer will go with vets though in Nash and Kerfoot. But who knows maybe Kerfoot sits too.

Hoping Freddy can get in a game or two with Marlies to see where he is at before playoffs. I'd rather have freddy backing up then Big Sieve dave.

Lets get Hutton and Lily into a game tonight Keefer. We need to have 8/9 guys ready to play. Give Holl and Muzzy da night off.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I know this is early, but who do you guys think Toronto matches up better with Habs or Flames?

Both should be fodder for the Leafs. Montreal would be scraping by just to get in the last wildcard spot. Calgary might be 3rd in the pacific because the pacific is so weak.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Love Keefe calling out Foligno. Dude has been dog shit for the most part. First rounder for that is disgusting and I was on board with the trade. Still think he’s adjusting so hopefully he starts looking like himself soon

Foligno needs to remember who he is, a banger and crasher, he's not the next coming of Mario Lemieux, he needs to stop with the fancy s#it and get on the smash train. His job is to create time and space for Matthews and Marner.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The way Galchenyuk is working, makes me think he'd look more than fine on a 3rd line (shutdown centric line) come playoffs.

Hyman - Matthews- Marner
Foligno-Tavares -Nylander
Galchenyuk-Nash-Mikhayev
Thornton/Spezza/Kerfoot/Simmonds/Brooks

I'm fighting myself to choose who to sit!

If Nash spots in and looks like the Defensive minded C we need.... it makes things even harder.

Except Galchenyuk isn't very good defensively. If you want a shutdown line, you don't put the guy who sucks at shutdown on it. He's working hard, no doubt, and I've enjoyed is two zone play... but not so great in the D zone.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I wouldn't say he called Foligno out. He was referencing a single bad pass that Nick made, in the offensive zone, that got a fortunate bounce on to Auston's blade where he made a super elite play to score thereafter. Nick has been good in the 3 games he has played. He wasn't acquired to put up points or generate more chances for Matthews and Marner. They generate enough on their own. He's brought in for his strong 2 way play, leadership, and tenacity. He's brought all 3 so far. His timing is off with Mitch and Auston so far, but its only been a week of practicing and playing. Not to mention he spent a full week in a hotel room not skating. Not exactly easy for any player, let alone a 33 year old. I thought yesterday his timing/hands were starting to come around personally. He made a very strong read/play when he sent Matthews on that b-way, and was very good on the PK and in his own end. Maybe thats just me

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Montreal I think, Calgary clogs the neutral zone, their style is a carbon copy of Columbus in last years playoffs. We have not shown that we grew from that experience. Clog the neutral zone, stack it up at the blue line and the Leafs start to glitch like a Tandy 3000.

Reactions: egd27

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Wonder if brooks has a Carter verhaeghe breakout in him next season.

He has the IQ for it. Smart player.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

both of those teams can clog the neutral zone well.

1) habs "X" factor is Price. You never know which Price shows up in the playoffs

2) flames "X" factor is Sutter. He snuck in with LA kings in the last place and went on to win the cup. Also, Sutter's teams usually play dirty but he had quick in net with the kings

I'd rather take on flames.

Reasons: I think Leafs match up better against the flames AND I get to troll montreal for not even making the playoffs after all the trades made by bergevin including firing the coach :laugh:

But... Leafs Vs Habs playoff series would be great for TV and not so great for HF Boards servers.....

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Except Galchenyuk isn't very good defensively. If you want a shutdown line, you don't put the guy who sucks at shutdown on it. He's working hard, no doubt, and I've enjoyed is two zone play... but not so great in the D zone.
Indeed.

It's too bad, as you say he is working out there, he just doesn't read the defensive play quickly enough and ends up on the wrong side of guys too often. If he was still a 30 goal guy and the offensive focal point on his line you live with that and try to protect him a bit defensively, but as a complimentary player that's a guy who's ripe to lose his spot in the lineup.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
both of those teams can clog the neutral zone well.

1) habs "X" factor is Price. You never know which Price shows up in the playoffs

2) flames "X" factor is Sutter. He snuck in with LA kings in the last place and went on to win the cup. Also, Sutter's teams usually play dirty but he had quick in net with the kings

I'd rather take on flames.

Reasons: I think Leafs match up better against the flames AND I get to troll montreal for not even making the playoffs after all the trades made by bergevin including firing the coach :laugh:

But... Leafs Vs Habs playoff series would be great for TV and not so great for HF Boards servers.....

Doesn't matter which Carey Price shows up, he's still Matthews' bitch.

Concerning element for the Habs is that they can control play and they can get good shots. That being said, Toronto does both better and has better shooting talent.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Montreal I think, Calgary clogs the neutral zone, their style is a carbon copy of Columbus in last years playoffs. We have not shown that we grew from that experience. Clog the neutral zone, stack it up at the blue line and the Leafs start to glitch like a Tandy 3000.
the neutral zone trap is definitely something we have struggled with, but to say this team hasn't learned from the CBJ series is not true. We have played many games this year where teams have tried to slow the game down in the neutral zone and still found a way to win. That 1-2-2 system only generates chances off of their opponents mistakes. Which has been way less common in this leaf group this year. The teams playing a trap have to be extremely patient to play 2+ periods of 0-0 hockey and then pounce on a breakdown the other way. CBJ was so disciplined last year. And when they won, they usually jumped out to the lead early and gave you nothing thereafter. Which only encourages the trailing team to take more chances and often ends up with more breakdowns going the other way. Almost every MTL game, and the Daryl Sutter flames games have started out being trap style games. It's worked on some occasions, but most of the time the Habs/Flames have not been disciplined enough to do that for 60 mins straight. Causing them to chase the game and get out of their system. The Leafs are just way too talented for a team like MTL and CGY to consistently do that for 60 straight minutes, night in and night out. I am way less worried about team's trapping it up than I was in years past. We have shown a patience all year IMO. Most night's we have been able to dictate the game flow, and on the odd night we don't we have shown patience to stick with it and adapt. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part we have done a good job. Playing against the neutral zone trap is obviously not our preference, but I wouldn't say its something that would 100% kill us like in years past

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I was looking forward to seeing the Habs new messiah, but the kid looked completely out of place out there

I honestly don't know how anyone could rate him over Robertson
The stick he was using really stuck out, looked like a kids stick.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I hate to say it but that's not the only race that isn't over - there's no guarantee EDM doesn't pass us for first place.

They're 7 points behind us but have two games in hand, they're on a roll (7-2-1 in their last 10) and have a super soft schedule to finish including 5 games against VAN.

Reactions: GoBuds14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad