Post-Game Talk: [x-Toronto Maple Leafs] Win 4-1

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Foligno needs to remember who he is, a banger and crasher, he's not the next coming of Mario Lemieux, he needs to stop with the fancy s#it and get on the smash train. His job is to create time and space for Matthews and Marner.

Perhaps if there are still any holdouts, they can see how important (and difficult) the traits Hyman brings actually are.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Yes Caulfield looked like a peasant against us last night, but he is still tremendously talented. Very similar to Robertson. Just doesn't seem fully ready IMO. both highly promising young players, just need to figure out how to play as an undersized player at the highest level

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Yes Caulfield looked like a peasant against us last night, but he is still tremendously talented. Very similar to Robertson. Just doesn't seem fully ready IMO. both highly promising young players, just need to figure out how to play as an undersized player at the highest level
Mtl will ruin this kid if he goes 0pts in 10

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Matthews in the corner with Caufield

tUxQNml.png

The size difference is.... noticeable.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
the neutral zone trap is definitely something we have struggled with, but to say this team hasn't learned from the CBJ series is not true. We have played many games this year where teams have tried to slow the game down in the neutral zone and still found a way to win. That 1-2-2 system only generates chances off of their opponents mistakes. Which has been way less common in this leaf group this year. The teams playing a trap have to be extremely patient to play 2+ periods of 0-0 hockey and then pounce on a breakdown the other way. CBJ was so disciplined last year. And when they won, they usually jumped out to the lead early and gave you nothing thereafter. Which only encourages the trailing team to take more chances and often ends up with more breakdowns going the other way. Almost every MTL game, and the Daryl Sutter flames games have started out being trap style games. It's worked on some occasions, but most of the time the Habs/Flames have not been disciplined enough to do that for 60 mins straight. Causing them to chase the game and get out of their system. The Leafs are just way too talented for a team like MTL and CGY to consistently do that for 60 straight minutes, night in and night out. I am way less worried about team's trapping it up than I was in years past. We have shown a patience all year IMO. Most night's we have been able to dictate the game flow, and on the odd night we don't we have shown patience to stick with it and adapt. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part we have done a good job. Playing against the neutral zone trap is obviously not our preference, but I wouldn't say its something that would 100% kill us like in years past

Which is why Calgary worries me more, Montreal is not really that sort of team, they want to play a free flowing game but just don't have a 1st line talented enough.

Since Sutter took over the Flames, same number of games played as Toronto, (exclude Vancouver because of Covid) Calgary is #2 in GA in the North, #1 in least amount of Shots Against, 2nd best in SA/SF differential, best FOW/FOL differential, #1 in FO%. Calgary lacks talent but they play a lock down system that the players have bought into.

Calgary beat us last game 3-2 in OT by playing that boring, clog up the neutral zone, low risk, boring Sutter hockey.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Didn't like the game tonight. I thought we were the 2nd best team out there. Our 2nd and 3rd lines were terrible. JT was really bad tonight.

The fact we won 4-1 shows how good of a team we do have though. To get outplayed by our likely 1st round matchup and still win 4-1 shows something. That's also demoralizing for them, because they know that when our team does show up, we will smash them.

It was not Tavares. He found himself surrounded by habs with no one to pass to. And Willy hanging around and chatting with penalty box keeper at the same time using his stick as a cane.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Beating the leafs is their stanley cup moment. It physically and mentally wipes them out. :laugh:

I know your joking but you might be right in some sense.

It like teams in the NFL get up for the Patriots, teams in MLB get up for NYY, maybe teams really want to beat us?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It was not Tavares. He found himself surrounded by habs with no one to pass to. And Willy hanging around and chatting with penalty box keeper at the same time using his stick as a cane.

On the Habs lone goal, I think Holl was a bit thrown off because he was expecting some back pressure from Nylander (so Holl backed off a bit) but Willy just kinda coasted there behind him.. Holl still should have stepped up on the gap but I think that's why he didn't

Reactions: leafsfan5

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Habs posters already talking about how their lineup doesn't suit Caufield otherwise he would be scoring. That poor kid, he is just not anywhere near ready for the NHL period. Montreal media (like our media) is ruthless.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think the big difference is Caufield is being viewed as a savior in Montreal. The expectations are honestly ridiculous. Robertson is coming into a team that already has it's superstar forwards. If he can develop into a dependable top 6 forward for us most Leaf fans would be thrilled and there really isn't the need to rush him.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
On the Habs lone goal, I think Holl was a bit thrown off because he was expecting some back pressure from Nylander (so Holl backed off a bit) but Willy just kinda coasted there behind him.. Holl still should have stepped up on the gap but I think that's why he didn't

Willy has really been F-ing the pooch lately. I noticed in one of the Jets games, he did as little as possible on one shift, he could have checked the puck carrier but stayed back then went for a line change, he purposely didn't engage the puck carrier because he wanted to go sit down. The guy is so damn talented but his effort level is the $#its. If he had a motor like Hyman, Nylander might be challenging for 2nd place in the scoring race. He's not a guy you want in your foxhole.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I know your joking but you might be right in some sense.

It like teams in the NFL get up for the Patriots, teams in MLB get up for NYY, maybe teams really want to beat us?

Yep, in the English Championship last year, Leeds United were dominant. They play an intense man marking style that is a nightmare to compete against.

I believe every team they lost to last season, went on to lose the following game, bar one.. Many teams failed to win the game after playing Leeds. Cos it took so much out of them to compete with them.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Habs posters already talking about how their lineup doesn't suit Caufield otherwise he would be scoring. That poor kid, he is just not anywhere near ready for the NHL period. Montreal media (like our media) is ruthless.

Who scores more in his career Caufield or Robertson?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yep, in the English Championship last year, Leeds United were dominant. They play an intense man marking style that is a nightmare to compete against.

I believe every team they lost to last season, went on to lose the following game, bar one.. Many teams failed to win the game after playing Leeds. Cos it took so much out of them to compete with them.

So opposing team beware don't try to hard against us our you will go in the $hitter ... the Toronto curse is real?

Reactions: GBLeaf

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Willy has really been F-ing the pooch lately. I noticed in one of the Jets games, he did as little as possible on one shift, he could have checked the puck carrier but stayed back then went for a line change, he purposely didn't engage the puck carrier because he wanted to go sit down. The guy is so damn talented but his effort level is the $#its. If he had a motor like Hyman, Nylander might be challenging for 2nd place in the scoring race. He's not a guy you want in your foxhole.

I'd overall this year say he's more engaged and aggressive in his puck pursuit, but he still has the odd moments where he loafs it. Not too many games this year that you can say he was checked out of.

We just need to hope he'll step it up in the playoffs. His production in the playoffs hasn't been that poor but it'd be nice if he was more aggressive and engaging to win battles. That's how he takes it to the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->