Post-Game Talk: [x-Toronto Maple Leafs] Win 4-1

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
One thing I've noticed is the impact on Mikheyev in the bottom 6 .. while he was injured for those couple of games, I really noticed how much that third line missed his size and speed.

This line up will look only better once Hyman gets back in.

If the Leafs are able to clinch the division in the next few games, or come close to it, I imagine Keefe will juggle some lines to get Foligno used to JT/Nylander and maybe the third line too.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
LOL Are you referring to him directly calling out Foligno's bad play on Matthews' goal? That was a bit unexpected. Haha
Yeah that was a bit unnerving to read. Awesome play and goal but Keefe just lays into Foligno instead. Keefe makes it sound like Foligno made an extremely selfish and stupid pass to the middle and only by grace of god did it not result in a “dangerous “ rush going the other way. Thornton does the same pass every game.
Way to senselessly throw a new player and vet under the bus Keefe. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Reactions: Stigma

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I was really surprised that Keene called out the Foligno pass. However, Ivebeen screaming at the TV for weeks about all the tosses into traffic the Leafs have been doing that end up going the other way if they are not perfect. Obviously the coaches have noticed too.

I assume calling out Foligno here is because
A). The play worked, so that’s a good time to reinforce.
B) by targeting the shiny new toy, they’re hoping the team gets the message

Not sure I would have done it, but maybe that’s what they were thinking

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
I was really surprised that Keene called out the Foligno pass. However, Ivebeen screaming at the TV for weeks about all the tosses into traffic the Leafs have been doing that end up going the other way if they are not perfect. Obviously the coaches have noticed too.

I would imagine that they had a conversation about it before he brought it up in the media and that no feelings were hurt. Foligno played for Torts for years and i sure these types of things were the norm for him in Columbus

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
How do you take anyone out of this lineup, including Brooks, and that’s not even counting getting Nash into the lineup.

It’s insane really, but in a good way. If we can stay healthy really interesting to see what Keefe does.

Only thing that is 100% is we won’t see Enqvall this season again unless we have a rash of injuries. Brooks has killed his audition and we got Nash for a reason.

The depth here is just nuts, honestly.....

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Should one of these guys be benched? — This is the section where I make the argument to take Alex Kerfoot or Ilya Mikheyev out of the lineup. Let’s start with Kerfoot.
Here’s a list of Leafs with a 5v5 scoring chance share below 50%.
  • Travis Boyd (waived)
  • Mikko Lehtonen (traded)
  • Jimmy Vesey (waived)
  • Nic Petan (waived)
  • Alex Kerfoot
We could bring up his frustrating 14 minutes tonight, but I’m more concerned with the 581 minutes he’s spent under water at even strength in 2021. Unless he’s stapled to Tavares-Nylander’s hip, Kerfoot hasn’t been able to accomplish much of anything at 5v5. He isn’t strong enough to win battles in the dirty areas (i.e. getting man-handled by Tyler Toffoli in the corner), and he isn’t producing enough offense to make up for his poor play-driving numbers (i.e. putting the puck over the net on his only real scoring chance of the game).

With Mikheyev, there’s obvious value in his puck pursuit, especially on the PK. On the other hand, his inability to make plays with the puck on his stick has reached the point where I’m not sure what the differences are between him and Pierre Engvall.
  • Annoying forechecker with a long stick? Check.
  • Zero ability to complete passes in the OZ? Check.
  • Terrible shot selection from distance? Check.
  • Lots of odd-man rushes that never convert? Check.
Since Keefe is so intent on keeping Engvall out of the lineup, frankly, I have to ask: why not Mikheyev too?

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2021...n-habs-early-clinch-playoff-spot-in-montreal/

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
IMO I wouldn't read into it too much :laugh:

But those high risk passes do need to be worked on.

Just a coach recognizing that this team, has a lot to work on and against good teams like Boston, Colorado, LV, we don't get away with playing like the Harlem Globetrotters. That was a North division bottom feeder. It was a fun game to watch from a Leaf fan perspective but that sort of hockey wont win you the cup.

Can some one please lay out Josh Anderson? He loves to finish his checks.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The main boards are especially bad lately. Just an absolute shit show. Going to be absolutely unreadable come playoff time.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Nash for kerfoot?

Hmmm Idk, that's a tough one. Kerfoot knows the system well and is out at some fairly crucial moments. I haven't seen enough of Nash to be confident that he could take Kerfoots place on the 3rd line. Even though I think Kerfoot is a better LW and hate seeing him take crucial draws I think itd be a pretty bold move to make

Reactions: Zacman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Keefe would speak to the team directly not hope that they’re watching a press conference to get a message.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The fans who were worried that Cole was going to score his first NHL goal (of many) against the Leafs can breathe for a few days.;)

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The main boards are especially bad lately. Just an absolute shit show. Going to be absolutely unreadable come playoff time.
tenor-2.gif

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The emotional scarring this team has inflicted upon its fan base, legend! Fear not friend, I 100% guarantee a first place finish. Ok, would you accept an 88% chance + a signed stick from Matthews...a 65% hope and my used sweater from tyke? Go Leafs Go :laugh:
Sure ! Thanks, I happen to know you are The Big M., can't wait for the stuff.

Reactions: meefer

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The fans who were worried that Cole was going to score his first NHL goal (of many) against the Leafs can breathe for a few days.;)
Did he play after he ran into the ref? He was pretty invisible.

Reactions: ToneDog

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Hmmm Idk, that's a tough one. Kerfoot knows the system well and is out at some fairly crucial moments. I haven't seen enough of Nash to be confident that he could take Kerfoots place on the 3rd line. Even though I think Kerfoot is a better LW and hate seeing him take crucial draws I think itd be a pretty bold move to make

Think Boston ... think playoffs a few years ago ... for some reason I think he had a good series against us ... think Columbus last year ...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Anyone notice teams go in the toilet after they play us? Vancouver stinking the joint out, Winterpeg stinking the joint out... lots of stinking going in in the North

Reactions: Leaftors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad