GDT: WWE Smackdown: Trotz vs. Roy (also, a hockey game)

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Having your head down ≠ being blindsided

Not that it matters anyway since blindsided isn't part of the rule anymore. The rule now is the head being targeted and the principle point of contact. I would say his launching himself upward meets the targeting qualification, and the head was definitely the principle point of contact. However, with Josi being as low as he was Downie might avoid the targeting criteria.

Last edited:

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
there's no nashville preds fan that has any differing opinion about the hit on Josi.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
OK guys...

Avs fans, you should probably realize that right now isn't the best time to come to the Preds forum and tell us how the hit wasn't dirty. A guy with a history took out one of our best players, and one of our few LHD. We're upset about it, and the result of the game didn't exactly comfort us.

Preds fans, do not call people trolls. If you feel like someone is trolling then report it, and let us handle it. Calling someone a troll, even if you strongly feel that is what they are, is flaming. That is clearly spelled out in the site rules, and if you receive an infraction for doing it then you really don't have much of an argument.

Use the report function. Please. I'm going to watch a movie because, to be honest, I'm tired of talking about that hit and this game.

Avs fans, please do me a favor and discuss it on your own board or in the neutral forum. At least for tonight. I would appreciate it a lot.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
What i dont understand is why would the refs stop nystrom and downie from fighting? They will let two guys line up for a faceoff with the intent to fight and go at it but when we goafter a player that layed a cheap shot on one of our players they dont allowthem to sort it out. This is why fighting needs to be done away with period. If you arnt going to let players police the game through fighting then what is the point....

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Don't worry guys the Avs will get what's coming to them.

It's the start of another central division hatred. Weber would have hurt that p.o.s. if borkie wasn't in the way at the moment. The refs clearly protected p.o.s. After Bartley dropped him and Nystrom was coming. What goes around comes around.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Watching the first replay it's clear Downie left his feet and led with his shoulder into Josi's head. If they're trying to eliminate these types of hits from the game, they need to eliminate players who do this sort of thing. A long suspension is the only way to handle this. Sit him for 20-25 games, next time he does it, he's gone for a season. As much as people despise Matt Cooke, I think everyone has noticed how he's changed his game since his big suspensions have happened. He pulled his game back according to what they're trying to accomplish about player safety. Downie has no regard for this. If he isn't suspended, I'll be shocked. He won't get the term I'd like if he is but he better be gone for at least a few games.

The other thing is, Josi has his head down, his fault but in doing so, he has become defenseless and much like a receiver in football, there needs to be some sort of protection going on in the game if that's what the NHL and the NHLPA are after in the long run. Teams can't lose good players to the goonery of the game. And like I said in the negativity thread, great that Weber and Bourque jumped him right when it happened but we brought in all this grit, the next time Downie was on the ice, he should've been made to dance by either Clune, Nystrom, Hendricks or Gaustad. That's why they're here. That's what they get paid to do. If they don't protect our skill players, what's the point of having them?

I remember Tootoo taking out Hemsky on a clean hit a few years ago and next time he hit the ice, Ethan Moreau went right to him and they danced. Tootoo obliged and he knew he would have to answer for his check because it took out a player, even though it was clean. Downie lays an illegal hit to the head while leaving his feet and he didn't pay for it. Sends a bad message to the skill players of the team and also tells other teams they can get away with it. Once again, I praise Weber and Bourque for doing the right thing but the other grit guys needed to step up and lay in to Downie the next time he hit the ice.

If the players are having to police the game, then police it. If not, it's going to be a long year.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Watching the first replay it's clear Downie left his feet and led with his shoulder into Josi's head. If they're trying to eliminate these types of hits from the game, they need to eliminate players who do this sort of thing. A long suspension is the only way to handle this. Sit him for 20-25 games, next time he does it, he's gone for a season. As much as people despise Matt Cooke, I think everyone has noticed how he's changed his game since his big suspensions have happened. He pulled his game back according to what they're trying to accomplish about player safety. Downie has no regard for this. If he isn't suspended, I'll be shocked. He won't get the term I'd like if he is but he better be gone for at least a few games.

The other thing is, Josi has his head down, his fault but in doing so, he has become defenseless and much like a receiver in football, there needs to be some sort of protection going on in the game if that's what the NHL and the NHLPA are after in the long run. Teams can't lose good players to the goonery of the game. And like I said in the negativity thread, great that Weber and Bourque jumped him right when it happened but we brought in all this grit, the next time Downie was on the ice, he should've been made to dance by either Clune, Nystrom, Hendricks or Gaustad. That's why they're here. That's what they get paid to do. If they don't protect our skill players, what's the point of having them?

I remember Tootoo taking out Hemsky on a clean hit a few years ago and next time he hit the ice, Ethan Moreau went right to him and they danced. Tootoo obliged and he knew he would have to answer for his check because it took out a player, even though it was clean. Downie lays an illegal hit to the head while leaving his feet and he didn't pay for it. Sends a bad message to the skill players of the team and also tells other teams they can get away with it. Once again, I praise Weber and Bourque for doing the right thing but the other grit guys needed to step up and lay in to Downie the next time he hit the ice.

If the players are having to police the game, then police it. If not, it's going to be a long year.

He isn't suspended. Not even a talking to.
And Nystrom tried to take on downie but the refs stopped it.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
On to the game itself. If we continue to play like we have, we will be fine. We are firing the puck on net without hesitation for the first time in recent memory. Guys skate down ice and shoot the puck with authority. Sure, we have the occasional blind or drop pass but that's going to happen. We are playing with less indecision and our forecheck is relentless. It's like watching a Chip Kelly offense to some degree. Jones is going to be a stud. Ekholm looks like his game has grown tremendously since the last time he took the ice for us. Smith looks like a man possessed even though he hasn't registered a point yet. Some of the guys like Bourque and Wilson who are coming off injuries look like they're trying to find their game and have a little rust/fear of contact. Gaustad is useless to me. He wins faceoffs but for a guy his size, the only thing he hit last night was Hendricks.

Overall I've been pretty happy with the play of the team, just not the results we wanted. Like I said, if we play like this all year, we will win our share of games.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Laughable the Downie hit was reviewed and no hearing scheduled. Knew that would happen and everyone knows why. That's why i am mad that p.o.s. was not handled last night. Sure Nystrom was stopped but they should of gone after him every chance.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Laughable the Downie hit was reviewed and no hearing scheduled. Knew that would happen and everyone knows why. That's why i am mad that p.o.s. was not handled last night. Sure Nystrom was stopped but they should of gone after him every chance.

Are you f'in kidding me? No hearing? If you watch the replay, you see Downie see Josi coming around and accelerate at him in closed quarters, he's got his head down and Downie launches, literally launches himself at Jose, leading with his shoulder into Josi's head. The NHL is full of ***** if they're trying to clean up hits to the head if they don't do anything in this scenario. Very disappointed.

I'll be even more disappointed if we don't have Oglethorpe dressed for the next time we play the Avs.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Are you f'in kidding me? No hearing? If you watch the replay, you see Downie see Josi coming around and accelerate at him in closed quarters, he's got his head down and Downie launches, literally launches himself at Jose, leading with his shoulder into Josi's head. The NHL is full of ***** if they're trying to clean up hits to the head if they don't do anything in this scenario. Very disappointed.

I'll be even more disappointed if we don't have Oglethorpe dressed for the next time we play the Avs.

It didn't seem a targetted headshot, and him leaving his feet was questionable. Regardless, the hit was predatory, with the only intent being to blow up Josi. There's no hockey play there, it wasn't an attempt to separate a player from the puck...it was an attempt to separate him from his jock. Hockey may have a tradition of hits like that, but I don't like seeing them, and they don't serve a real purpose for the game. They DO lead to injuries, and I don't see how a league that is concerned for player safety can condone them.

The chest-beating crowd can tell me to go watch Euro hockey and that I'm pansifying the sport...whatever. A great young player was injured while people cheer on the act that did it. That disgusts me...

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It didn't seem a targetted headshot, and him leaving his feet was questionable. Regardless, the hit was predatory, with the only intent being to blow up Josi. There's no hockey play there, it wasn't an attempt to separate a player from the puck...it was an attempt to separate him from his jock. Hockey may have a tradition of hits like that, but I don't like seeing them, and they don't serve a real purpose for the game. They DO lead to injuries, and I don't see how a league that is concerned for player safety can condone them.

The chest-beating crowd can tell me to go watch Euro hockey and that I'm pansifying the sport...whatever. A great young player was injured while people cheer on the act that did it. That disgusts me...
In the moment, all fans see is their guy making a huge hit on the opponent. Every arena in the league would have fans cheering. We cheered when Tootoo freakin blew up Robidas with a sucker punch.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
In the moment, all fans see is their guy making a huge hit on the opponent. Every arena in the league would have fans cheering. We cheered when Tootoo freakin blew up Robidas with a sucker punch.

I'm talking about the fans that continue to post what a "beautiful" hit it was, knowing that Josi didn't return from the game.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Even though he's being evaluated tomorrow, I almost feel like if it was really good, or really bad, we would have heard something already? At least the latter, you'd think.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
I'm worried it will be a concussion diagnosis followed by the wait time after symptoms end.

Of course it's going to be be "upper body, day to day" which means concussion symptoms. And with his history, he could be out a while. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he suffer a concussion in MIL or training camp a couple of years ago that set his development back 6 months or so?? Concussions tend to have cumulative affects. Losing him for more than a few weeks will be a tremendous loss for this team.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Of course it's going to be be "upper body, day to day" which means concussion symptoms. And with his history, he could be out a while. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he suffer a concussion in MIL or training camp a couple of years ago that set his development back 6 months or so?? Concussions tend to have cumulative affects. Losing him for more than a few weeks will be a tremendous loss for this team.

Yes

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Has anyone else noticed or taken offense(like me),if you watch the replay or if you watched the game, to Roy looking over at our bench when the hit happened like bring it? Maybe I am just looking to much into it but, that was one of the first things I noticed. I cannot believe the hit did not get him anything, not even a hearing. I am glad people like Weber,Bourque,Clune and Nystrom all tried to stick up for Josi. Hope this is not a concussion issue, we need him back soon. Nov. 6th will be a fun game to watch, to bad it is in their building again.
Hopefully team will do well on this 5 game home stand. I like the way the team has looked. Not going to say much due to just two games.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Has anyone else noticed or taken offense(like me),if you watch the replay or if you watched the game, to Roy looking over at our bench when the hit happened like bring it? Maybe I am just looking to much into it but, that was one of the first things I noticed. I cannot believe the hit did not get him anything, not even a hearing. I am glad people like Weber,Bourque,Clune and Nystrom all tried to stick up for Josi. Hope this is not a concussion issue, we need him back soon. Nov. 6th will be a fun game to watch, to bad it is in their building again.
Hopefully team will do well on this 5 game home stand. I like the way the team has looked. Not going to say much due to just two games.

Yeah, I saw that. No idea what Roy's look was about, or the intent. Haven't seen enough of him to know his body language, so not going to speculate.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA

Thought the same thing....the look on Roy's face was cocky!
Looking at the top 5 Preds hits on OTF, Tootoos hit on Frolik. That's was "in my opinion" a very questionable hit....probably no penalty just like Downie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad