GDT: WWE Extreme Rules (Sunday July 14th)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The best part of his run was when he was walking around and beating people up with chairs. Then in a match where there are chairs everywhere, he doesn't even go for the chair.

Imagine if Seth grabbed a chair and Becky punched Brock in the nets and Seth beats him. They'd be the most over people in the company.

Reactions: Falco Lombardi

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
I can't stand when fans call a wrestler boring when it's clear as day it's the writing that is boring. Seth is a wrestler. His character should be built around it. The love thing is BRUTAL. Brutal writing. He's also not a babyface superhero. That's boring writing. Becky - written like an idiot. Brock - allowed to do whatever and have little substance to his character when in reality he's one of the absolute best athletes in the world.

It's all writing. Amen on your post. Amen.
There's clearly more to it though.

There are many guys who can still shine through the bad writing and Rollins hasn't been one of them. I remember around the send off for Ambrose he started allowing some of his personality through. The result was a lot of "yo dawg" and "ur my boi Dean" and it was all pretty cringey. He wasn't bad as the Authority heel but ever since his face turn on Triple H I've found him insufferable. By your reasoning any negative thrown at Seth can be only attributed to bad writing.

He genuinely seems like a guy you'd find hanging out at Hot Topic or the game store in the mall after he's too old to be doing so.

I can also only see so many Phoenix splash attempts into the roll through before it induces a yawn.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
There's clearly more to it though.

There are many guys who can still shine through the bad writing and Rollins hasn't been one of them. I remember around the send off for Ambrose he started allowing some of his personality through. The result was a lot of "yo dawg" and "ur my boi Dean" and it was all pretty cringey. He wasn't bad as the Authority heel but ever since his face turn on Triple H I've found him insufferable. By your reasoning any negative thrown at Seth can be only attributed to bad writing.

He genuinely seems like a guy you'd find hanging out at Hot Topic or the game store in the mall after he's too old to be doing so.

I can also only see so many Phoenix splash attempts into the roll through before it induces a yawn.

Just because there is bad writing doesn't mean you have to like the wrestler. I've never been a big Seth fan. But this is identical to Ambrose. If a character isn't going to fit the wrestler's strengths... then it's an uphill battle. People like KO/Samoa Joe/etc can make a lot of things work. Some wrestlers need their character to be written well. But you can pick/choose what you like. I just don't think it's fair to say "Wrestler X sucks" and base it on the storyline. That's not fair.

Perfect example is Becky. WWE absolutely ruined her momentum. To no fault of the wrestler, IMO. She was legit given a crutch in her character and I don't think anyone could have pulled it off.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I like the belt on Brock *ducks*

no one else in the company legitimizes it or brings that big fight atmosphere to every match like he does

Easy to do when you fight as many times as you can count on one hand and hype the hell out of it. I'm pretty sure 2 years ago the big main event of Extreme Rules wasn't even a championship match it was a freaking 5 or 6 person match for #1 contender to face Lesnar at Great Balls of Fire and it was such a huge freaking deal because he wasn't wrestling on a big 4 PPV. The WWE fanbase can and will pay for anything and Lesnar is an enormous money grab. Of course they're not gonna change what works but it's that change that lost my business forever along with the shameless Jinder title reign in time for India.

20 years ago almost every PPV was a big fight because of proper promotion, booking etc. Problem is WWE streamlined their model and it's worked since then financially

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
Just because there is bad writing doesn't mean you have to like the wrestler. I've never been a big Seth fan. But this is identical to Ambrose. If a character isn't going to fit the wrestler's strengths... then it's an uphill battle. People like KO/Samoa Joe/etc can make a lot of things work. Some wrestlers need their character to be written well. But you can pick/choose what you like. I just don't think it's fair to say "Wrestler X sucks" and base it on the storyline. That's not fair.

Perfect example is Becky. WWE absolutely ruined her momentum. To no fault of the wrestler, IMO. She was legit given a crutch in her character and I don't think anyone could have pulled it off.
Yes I think bad writing can be ignored if the talent is good enough. I don't think Rollins has been able to transcend it. I haven't seen any evidence of it at least.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yes I think bad writing can be ignored if the talent is good enough. I don't think Rollins has been able to transcend it. I haven't seen any evidence of it at least.

Things would have been different if he came back a white hot Babyface demanding back the title he never lost. He would've been an icon that we see differently even today. He has always had the talent. Problem is everyone's just hungover from said writing up and down the company and it's made people apathetic even to the gluttony of talent Rollins has

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Also lost in last night's results is that we went from all 4 men's singles champions being faces to only one left. Kofi's the last one standing.

Reactions: ColePens

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
Things would have been different if he came back a white hot Babyface demanding back the title he never lost. He would've been an icon that we see differently even today. He has always had the talent. Problem is everyone's just hungover from said writing up and down the company and it's made people apathetic even to the gluttony of talent Rollins has
I half agree here. It was dumb to bring him back to be heel again when everyone wanted to cheer him. Certainly better than basing his babyface turn on being jealous that Triple H just gave the belt to Owens instead of just giving it to him.
I don't think the bad writing is a huge part of the blame. I still get excited for Owens, Sami, Dolph, Nakamura, Styles, others while being able to ignore the writing. Then again, maybe you can argue I just have never been a fan of Rollins to begin with. I think the writing is being made out to be a scapegoat here a bit too much. Cesaro is a guy who's never had good writing but his talent keeps him as a cult fan favorite.

It wasn't that long ago that we had Rollins' personality on display on twitter and we were all mocking him. I think the guy has a terrible personality that makes it hard to connect with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: M.C.G. 31

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Watching the replay for the stuff I missed and... the IC title on the kick-off show? That's some solid booking.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I half agree here. It was dumb to bring him back to be heel again when everyone wanted to cheer him. Certainly better than basing his babyface turn on being jealous that Triple H just gave the belt to Owens instead of him.
I don't think the bad writing is a huge part of the blame. I still get excited for Owens, Sami, Dolph, Nakamura, Styles, others while being able to ignore the writing. Then again, maybe you can argue I just have never been a fan of Rollins to begin with. I think the writing is being made out to be a scapegoat here a bit too much. Cesaro is a guy who's never had good writing but his talent keeps him as a cult fan favorite.

It wasn't that long ago that we had Rollins' personality on display on twitter and we were all mocking him. I think the guy has a terrible personality that makes it hard to connect with him.
Fair enough. You make too many good points otherwise. I've seen that he's the kind of guy who not only doesn't call his dates back, he also generously allows the ladies to call him Seth and not Colby.

Gaaahhhhdddddddd

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So after sleeping on it, I have downgrading the main event from good booking to average booking

There was good booking, within the match, and I am happy that we can hopefully put this Seth/Becky crap behind us, at the end of the day, Brock being champion isn't a good thing, and just because it may be better than what we had, I can't ignore my own thoughts on that. I also Corbin and Lacey should've won. Corbin hit the end of days on Lacey, huge pop, big shock, she rolls out of the ring, I would've had Seth scramble to the outside to check on her, all of a sudden, Lacey hits the Women's right on Seth, throws him in, Corbin hits the End of Days, hits the End of Days again, and pins him as massive heat is going on. Brock's music hits, massive pop, enters the ring, german, german, german, F5, F5, pin, new champion.

Mainly because I think Brock needs to be a face right now. We just had a long run where he faced every other face.

Match 1: Good Match | Poor Booking
Match 2: Good Match | Good Booking
Match 3: Good Match | Good Booking
Match 4: Good Match | Poor Booking
Match 5: Good Match | Meh Booking
Match 6: Average Match | Meh Booking
Match 7: Good Match | Acceptable Booking
Match 8: Squash Match | Acceptable Booking
Match 9: Bad Match | Poor Booking
Match 10: Average Match | Average Booking

Doesn't change the overall rating, as I still give it between a 7.5-8/10, which is probably their best PPV in a long time.

For reference, he's my scoring for Fight for the Fallen (again, main card only)

Match 1: Good Match | Good Booking
Match 2: Bad Match | Acceptable Booking
Match 3: Good Match | Good Booking
Match 4: Average Match | Good Booking
Match 5: Good Match | Good Booking
Match 6: Good Match | Good Booking
Match 7: Average Match | Acceptable Booking

Overall, I think both shows end up around 7.5-8/10, which is a damn good weekend of wrestling.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I half agree here. It was dumb to bring him back to be heel again when everyone wanted to cheer him. Certainly better than basing his babyface turn on being jealous that Triple H just gave the belt to Owens instead of just giving it to him.

Two things:

Everybody you named is not a top babyface (Owens literally just turned so jury is out)

When you have a top babyface, such as AJ Styles, this place and every other starts bitching about how they’re better as a heel.

If Cesaro tomorrow got a massive babyface push, people would complain about it within months.

There is not a person on the roster that can have a sustained push as the top babyface without people complaining. What else can it be besides bad writing?

Reactions: Fro

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Baron Corbin is a terrific heel and anyone who thinks otherwise is objectively wrong.

This...Baron Corbin is a brilliant heel...the guy has put the time in to understand the psychological side of being a heel (something I wish more heels would do) no you aren't going to see a ton of OMG moments from him but he's a terrific worker with a great head for being a heel...one of my low key favorite heels

Reactions: Hypernova

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
Two things:

Everybody you named is not a top babyface (Owens literally just turned so jury is out)

When you have a top babyface, such as AJ Styles, this place and every other starts *****ing about how they’re better as a heel.

If Cesaro tomorrow got a massive babyface push, people would complain about it within months.

There is not a person on the roster that can have a sustained push as the top babyface without people complaining. What else can it be besides bad writing?
One thing, people are FICKLE.

I can only speak for myself. I was never behind Rollins so I'm not turning on him.
I also think most were behind Styles as babyface champion when he took it off Jinder. Also Bryan and Punk were mostly liked.

I don't think it's bad writing. It's the talent. If Rollins were as good as Bryan or Styles we wouldn't have this problem. A tall order I know, but your top babyface should be a top tier talent. I also recall the majority of those here not wanting Rollins to beat Lesnar at Mania. So the push wasn't well received before it even happened.
Bryan after winning the belt was saddled with Kane at Extreme Rules in 2014. He rose above. Punk feuding with Ryback or Del Rio/Miz/Truth. He rose above.

Better writing could maybe save Rollins, yes. But if he were half as good as he asserts it'd be much less of an issue.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's not a matter of talent for Rollins, he's consistently had the best matches on PPV's and TV's for the better part of the last 2 years. That includes AJ.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's not a matter of talent for Rollins, he's consistently had the best matches on PPV's and TV's for the better part of the last 2 years. That includes AJ.

I feel terrible saying this, but I cannot think of one match in the last 12 months that was memorable. And i'm sure i'm missing something. I can't seem to really think of any matches in WWE over the last 12 monthst hat stand out in a big big way.

But there are matches that opened NXT that blow my mind that I still think about them months later. And the NXT main events... I can think back very far and it blows my mind. In fact, I can think of NXT TV matches that still cross my mind.

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
I disagree because I'm rarely thrilled with Seth's matches. Talent is also more than workrate to me. It's the whole package and Rollins has a low amount to me when you compare all aspects.

I'm not really dumping on his in-ring ability here. It's the whole package that needs to be considered. If we were only considering in-ring ability, there'd be almost no issue. His lack of character and pizazz is the overall issue. If being on top was just a matter of being a good wrestler there's also several better in the company.

Again, I'm not arguing that Rollins is some kind of bum here, it's an issue that exists outside of who he is from bell to bell. I think his Twitter meltdown exposed a lot of negatives for him and for a lot of people here the perception was a self-burial.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I disagree because I'm rarely thrilled with Seth's matches. Talent is also more than workrate to me. It's the whole package and Rollins has a low amount to me when you compare all aspects.

I'm not really dumping on his in-ring ability here. It's the whole package that needs to be considered. If we were only considering in-ring ability, there'd be almost no issue. His lack of character and pizazz is the overall issue. If being on top was just a matter of being a good wrestler there's also several better in the company.

Again, I'm not arguing that Rollins is some kind of bum here, it's an issue that exists outside of who he is from bell to bell. I think his Twitter meltdown exposed a lot of negatives for him and for a lot of people here the perception was a self-burial.

So basically he needs a heel turn, a manager and a stable.

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
So basically he needs a heel turn, a manager and a stable.
What?

I didn't say any of those things. He could work on his facials, his mic skills and his personality. If I break it down the guy has had more than one start to top babyface pushes that didn't pan out. He's also had several superficial monikers that didn't stick.

Again, I'm not saying I'm right, it's just my opinion. I can only speak for my own feelings on it and I'm not trying to bury the guy. I'll also restate that this could just be a personal gripe as I was never a fan of his.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad