Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Tom Wilson (6 years, 5.17M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Scores 40/50? Are you actually implying that he’s going to score 40/50 points at simply even strength? That would make him one of the better players in the league and you know what Tom Wilson isn’t? One of the better players in the league...
oh yeah how could Tom ever come up with 6 more even strength points over last year. Oh right maybe if he spends the extra 1/3 of the season on the top line he might be able to pull it off.

I feel like people are just talking out of their asses around here.

Reactions: Portable Mink

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Vrana RFA 2019 summer. You can't afford him, so that is an incoming trade. Not following your own teams contracts not very good start for discussions though... Just saying.

Also read the other 47 pages of this thread to check what the rest of the board thinks about your gm... :-D We ll see next summer in Vrana trade thread.

Uh huh.

Did you miss the magic GMBM just pulled off with Orpik's cap hit? Or last summer when he correctly cut ties with Williams and Mojo?

The Caps have been very successful managing their cap since GMBM took over, despite some overpayments like Orpik. So I'm not worried about Vrana's bridge deal .

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
DANTHEMAN1967 said:
He was an RFA who didn't even have arbitration rights, he had no leverage.
The option was to tell him that you're getting $10 million over three years sign here.​

What is inaccurate?
He was an RFA who didn't have any abitration rights, if he wanted to play in the NHL this year it could only be with Capitals.
His only recourse, if he didn't like the offer the Capitals made, would be to hold out and not show up at training camp.
He was over paid and that's on MacLellan.

Arbitration is eligible for players with 4 seasons under their belt....he has 5. He had ELC then 2 yr bridge.

Players who come from Europe or college arbitration is based on age. A graduating college player signs a 2 yr ELC can file arbitration

If he was coming of an ELC he wouldn’t.

Team can only file for arbitration once in this 3 yr period in team control.

If a player files arbitration it removes him from getting any sort of offer sheets by other teams.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
oh yeah how could Tom ever come up with 6 more even strength points over last year. Oh right maybe if he spends the extra 1/3 of the season on the top line he might be able to pull it off.

Well considering he's never come close to putting up such points before and had a 4% bump in his shooting percentage while posting career highs across the board, gee yea, why should I think such a player would improve further when his shooting percentage is going to go down? And what part of the season exactly are you arguing about him not playing on the top line? The final few months were he put up barely any points and struggled to reach that 35 mark.

Talking out of their asses indeed, but it's not me that is, that's for certain.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Uh huh.

Did you miss the magic GMBM just pulled off with Orpik's cap hit? Or last summer when he correctly cut ties with Williams and Mojo?

The Caps have been very successful managing their cap since GMBM took over, despite some overpayments like Orpik. So I'm not worried about Vrana's bridge deal .

I mean, they had to lose Johansson due to cap space issues a season or two ago. So you can't exactly say he is that succesful. And he would never have had to fix Orpik's cap hit if he had never signed him to such a bad deal in the first place.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Vrana RFA 2019 summer. You can't afford him, so that is an incoming trade. Not following your own teams contracts not very good start for discussions though... Just saying.

Also read the other 47 pages of this thread to check what the rest of the board thinks about your gm... :-D We ll see next summer in Vrana trade thread.
yeah this thread is really weird. I get the feeling some of these folks saying theyre Capitals fans are maybe just fans of a few of the players...

one guy claims Wilson never plays with Backstrom, another doesnt know any of the teams contracts... is this reality?

Reactions: Hall4Hart

alphabetical

May 8, 2013

this is why the thread is 50 f***ing pages. there's too much bias against wilson, as they've only ever seen the hits that the DOPS shows, and they thus believe him to be a monster. he's not a bottom six forward by even strength production metrics, but that matters less than people's opinions of him.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Arbitration is eligible for players with 4 seasons under their belt....he has 5. He had ELC then 2 yr bridge.

Players who come from Europe or college arbitration is based on age. A graduating college player signs a 2 yr ELC can file arbitration

If he was coming of an ELC he wouldn’t.

Team can only file for arbitration once in this 3 yr period in team control.

If a player files arbitration it removes him from getting any sort of offer sheets by other teams.
He had arbitration rights but chose not to use them prior to the deadline, presumably to allow the possibility of an offer sheet.
This was back on July 5th I believe.
After July 5th he had no arbitration rights, his only recourse, beyond an offer sheet, was to either sign what the Capital's offered him or withold his services come training camp.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Awesome deal. Caps fans are really enjoying all the hater tears. Thanks! :laugh:

Tom+Wilson+2018+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Final+Game+uZIfaaQZ5E4l.jpg

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Uh huh.

Not for nothing but nobody could've predicted the concussions Mojo had.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Fans of other teams trying to convince themselves Tom Wilson doesn't have prime real estate in all their brains.
Real estate in regards to what? That everyone thinks he’s a dirty and now hilariously overpaid player? If that’s what you’re saying you’re totally correct! If you’re implying fans are scared of him, well I don’t really know what to tell you because you’ve all been so brain washed to just repeat this silly line over and over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
After next season when they realize this deal was a mistake, I wonder if the Oilers and Caps could workout a trade between Wilson and Lucic. Bad contract for bad contract.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Not for nothing but nobody could've predicted the concussions Mojo had.

Yeah, that's not really what I'm talking about. I like Mojo a lot and I hope he's successful for you guys moving forward. But the Caps had to move salary out last summery to re-sign Kuzy and Oshie, and GMBM made the right call in letting Williams walk and trading Mojo. That's all I'm saying. Mojo could have put up 60 points for you guys and it still would have been the right move because it allowed the Caps to keep the (obviously successful) roster they iced in 17-18. He's done a really good job over the last few years getting rid of contracts when necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad