Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Tom Wilson (6 years, 5.17M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Either the haters will be right and laughing at the contract when Wilson fails or Wilson will continue to improve and the haters will....well...hate him at every turn. Nothing really has changed except those that hate Tom Wilson have 2 more things to hate him for. His contract and his name is on the Stanley cup.

At first people laughed at us and how we player "the wrong way". Then after all the heartbreaks of loosing people started to feel sorry for us. That was the worst!!!!!!

And now, Brooks Opik 1 year $1m signing is generating more responses than most other bigger name signings. Tom Wilson page is up to 50 pages already. Let the haters hate. I love it.

Wilson is an absolute beast. I will never forger his play this year especially in the finals. Anyone remember him killing penalties? He was a freaking rocket flying after evert puck giving 150% every single shift. Dude will kill for his team mates. I see him as Lucic but with less ego and more team mentality. I love the fact that he is staying for a while and i dont care if we may have slightly overpaid.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Your boy had 8 points in the last two months of the season then playing on the top line. And paying players based on one good playoff run is such a good idea and usually works out so well doesn’t it.

And he’s improved every single year? He had 23 then 19 before this year. That looks like nonimprovement to me. But keep making things up man. I miss sure at some point you’ll stoke gold on one of these claims.
Ok now I see your problem. You're trying to measure everything strictly in points.

You apparently don't know Tom as a player or you would know since he's come into the league he has improved his skating by a ton, improved his defensive awareness and penalty killing, and last year he worked hard on his offense which I (and apparently the Caps GM)expect to keep improving.

Why do you think Caps fans are si happy to have him locked up for 6 years, even with maybe a small current overpayment? We've watched his whole career, we've seen all his improvements, we watched him transform from strictly a seek and destroy hitter type as a rookie into an important all around player.

So no, I'm not "making things up." Unlike you I don't measure a players value by point totals. Especially not the most physical player in the league.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Since his rookie season he has proven himself an IMPACT player who has been part of the difference in countless wins with his energy and hits. Yeah, he is a Bottom-6 role player but he is elite in that role. HENCE, I expected a longterm deal in the 4 mill range. But with escalated salaries being as common as inflation, I'm not totally surprised that he got the top end of his worth.

The team can afford it and he is a valuable member of the superglue.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Far and away one of the worst deals in the entire league. Congrats, Capitals.

I agree and Pens fans would definitely know a bad contract when they see one.

jack_johnson_columbus.jpg

Reactions: searle

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Either the haters will be right and laughing at the contract when Wilson fails or Wilson will continue to improve and the haters will....well...hate him at every turn. Nothing really has changed except those that hate Tom Wilson have 2 more things to hate him for. His contract and his name is on the Stanley cup.
People that hate Wilson are just channeling the diarrhea-inducing terror he strikes into the shaking knees of their teams' D men every time he comes flying down the ice to destroy them."Uh oh, here he comes," time to cough it up and bail.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Don't get me wrong Wilson is a good player but that AAV seems nasty i thought he would have gotten around 4 million.

Reactions: _Del_

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
He hits people tho. That's worth at least an extra $1M on a deal.
Indeed. And perhaps that is what’s worth the extra Million.

Or, just maybe, it’s the fact that nearly any independant observer will have noticed that Tom Wilson was probably one of the 5-6 most important players on a team that blitzed the Pre-Season Champions in your avatar on their way to putting an over-achieving Cinderella from Vegas to sleep and finally getting over a hump that at the start of both the Pittsburgh and Tampa series seemed insurmountable.

Why don’t you ask Coburn if Tom Wilson’s only value to the team is that he hits people?

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Ok now I see your problem. You're trying to measure everything strictly in points.

You apparently don't know Tom as a player or you would know since he's come into the league he has improved his skating by a ton, improved his defensive awareness and penalty killing, and last year he worked hard on his offense which I (and apparently the Caps GM)expect to keep improving.

Why do you think Caps fans are si happy to have him locked up for 6 years, even with maybe a small current overpayment? We've watched his whole career, we've seen all his improvements, we watched him transform from strictly a seek and destroy hitter type as a rookie into an important all around player.

So no, I'm not "making things up." Unlike you I don't measure a players value by point totals. Especially not the most physical player in the league.
“Oh it doesn’t matter he doesn’t score, he hits hard so that’s worth the overpayment despite the fact that he’s a crappy third liner. His intangibles (totally debatable) make him worth the more then slight overpayment!”

Your justification for paying a 3rd liner more then 5 million because he hits hard and plays good PK is laughable. By the way, being good on the PK doesn’t mean you’re a good defensive player either. You can be good at one without being good at the other. Thanks for playing.

5 million for 6 years for a guy who scored 35 points once because he had 15 points in the playoffs And injured a few people. Ha.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Indeed. And perhaps that is what’s worth the extra Million.

Or, just maybe, it’s the fact that nearly any independant observer will have noticed that Tom Wilson was probably one of the 5-6 most important players on a team that blitzed the Pre-Season Champions in your avatar on their way to putting an over-achieving Cinderella from Vegas to sleep and finally getting over a hump that at the start of both the Pittsburgh and Tampa series seemed insurmountable.

Why don’t you ask Coburn if Tom Wilson’s only value to the team is that he hits people?
I'd hardly call going to 7 games a blitz, but ok?

Congrats on the Cup. Doesn't change the fact that Tom Wilson is overpaid.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad