Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Tom Wilson (6 years, 5.17M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
How do you know what a player will do? For all you know Wilson could end up being a high teens to 20 something point player like before. This past season could end up being his high point of his career we just don't know. To me it looks like Capitals payed Wilson for his glory days (this past playoffs especially)
He's a great skater who has significantly improved his game every offseason, has a lot of energy and is consistently the hardest worker on the team game in and game out. It's not that crazy to think he will continue on the upward trajectory of his career so far.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Well for starters this career bottom 6 winger was our top line fixture for half the season and 4 playoff rounds against overwhelmingly favored teams where he put up 15 even strength points. He's also penciled in to be our 1RW for the foreseeable future or at least as long as Ovechkin is under contract.

Other fans should get at least a couple more chances to get a good hard look at it in late spring/early summer
I don't know why people are complaining or quibbling about points. Wilson made a HUGE contribution to the Cup victory. As much as everyone wants the game to be fast and skilled, it's still really about warfare between armies and you need some big strong guys in the lineup who can hit and take a hit. Part of Vegas' success was a bunch of big defensive Dmen who could not be intimidated and some big fast forward. They had a good mix. Washington was the biggest team in the playoffs and Wilson had oppo Dmen crapping their pants. Washington just had higher level top talent and Vegas couldn't match what Kuznetsov, Oshie, OV and Carlsson could do.

As a fan of team that is paying steaming piles of human garbage like Andrew Macdonald, Jori Lehtera and was paying Val Filppula around or at the $5million AVV mark, I'd much rather pay an impact player like Wilson that money instead. He can skate and has decent hands too, so it's not like he's just a fantastic forechecker, he's used on the PK too. Does he hurt people once in a while? So what, it's not friggin' ringette. All that said, I shudder to think what Simmonds is going to get, probably not with the Flyers.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
50!!!
tumblr_p8f9alWU1O1w4diwfo1_540.gif

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
How do you know what a player will do? For all you know Wilson could end up being a high teens to 20 something point player like before. This past season could end up being his high point of his career we just don't know. To me it looks like Capitals payed Wilson for his glory days (this past playoffs especially)

Obviously we don't know the future, for all we know someone like McDavid could get a Forsberg like lingering ankle injury his or get his brain scrambled like Crosby did and be a 60 point player from now on and have that contract turn horrible. But we've had a lot of time to look at Wilson slowly developing and becoming better each year, and his performance this year looks to be from a physical late blooming player maturing rather than just getting lucky with PP time (he had essentially none) or shooting percentage. He does a lot of things well both with and away from the puck that the team badly needs and it's hard to see him losing his skillset or motivation, at least given how exemplary his work ethic has been since day 1. There's guys we signed like Brooks Laich and Troy Brouwer who's success was Matt Beleskey like and we could see it from a mile away, but Wilson is more of a steady bloomer like Rakell (though not on the same level offensively lol)

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I don't know why people are complaining or quibbling about points. Wilson made a HUGE contribution to the Cup victory. As much as everyone wants the game to be fast and skilled, it's still really about warfare between armies and you need some big strong guys in the lineup who can hit and take a hit. Part of Vegas' success was a bunch of big defensive Dmen who could not be intimidated and some big fast forward. They had a good mix. Washington was the biggest team in the playoffs and Wilson had oppo Dmen crapping their pants. Washington just had higher level top talent and Vegas couldn't match what Kuznetsov, Oshie, OV and Carlsson could do.

As a fan of team that is paying steaming piles of human garbage like Andrew Macdonald, Jori Lehtera and was paying Val Filppula around or at the $5million AVV mark, I'd much rather pay an impact player like Wilson that money instead. He can skate and has decent hands too, so it's not like he's just a fantastic forechecker. Does he hurt people once in a while? So what, it's not friggin' ringette. All that said, I shudder to think what Simmonds is going to get, probably not with the Flyers.

Yeah judging from this thread Flyers fans seem to largely get it aside from that Brindamour guy. Not surprising, many of you badly wanted him in the draft from what I remember and he's in the Hartnell/Richards/Simmonds/Schenn/Laperriere mold.

Reactions: Larry44

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah judging from this thread Flyers fans seem to largely get it aside from that Brindamour guy. Not surprising, many of you badly wanted him in the draft from what I remember and he's in the Hartnell/Richards/Simmonds/Schenn/Laperriere mold.

Hes not nearly as good as the first 4 Flyers you listed.

Oh and there's this.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Hes not nearly as good as the first 4 Flyers you listed.

Oh and there's this.

It's almost like the Caps were a bottom tier possession team because they realized they could win by letting other teams spam easily saveable shots on Holtby while biding their time and shooting primarily when they had breakaways due to those spammed shots missing the net, or shooting when the opposing goalie was caught moving in the opposite direction because Wilson made a breakout possible or caused a turnover that gave Ovechkin and Kuznetsov all the time and space in the world, or when Wilson was blocking the goalie's sight line or deflecting pucks.

If only they awarded cups for fancystats

Last edited:

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Well considering he's never come close to putting up such points before and had a 4% bump in his shooting percentage while posting career highs across the board, gee yea, why should I think such a player would improve further when his shooting percentage is going to go down? And what part of the season exactly are you arguing about him not playing on the top line? The final few months were he put up barely any points and struggled to reach that 35 mark.

Talking out of their asses indeed, but it's not me that is, that's for certain.
Oh Geez, maybe he has more points than ever before because he earned a spot in the top 6. And as far as shooting % maybe it increased because he has more space and better players passing to him.

Again to get that magical 40 5 on 5 total you say is impossible for him he only needs 6 more than last year. Playing the whole year in the top 6 might get him those 6 extra points, or maybe he just improves a bit since that's what he does every single year.

And for the record he started the season last year on the 3rd line. That would be the part of the season I was referring to. And the final few months he was a beast dominating opponents physically and scoring 15 in 20 on the way to hoisting the cup.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Oh Geez, maybe he has more points than ever before because he earned a spot in the top 6. And as far as shooting % maybe it increased because he has more space and better players passing to him.

Again to get that magical 40 5 on 5 total you say is impossible for him he only needs 6 more than last year. Playing the whole year in the top 6 might get him those 6 extra points, or maybe he just improves a bit since that's what he does every single year.

And for the record he started the season last year on the 3rd line. That would be the part of the season I was referring to. And the final few months he was a beast dominating opponents physically and scoring 15 in 20 on the way to hoisting the cup.
Your boy had 8 points in the last two months of the season then playing on the top line. And paying players based on one good playoff run is such a good idea and usually works out so well doesn’t it.

And he’s improved every single year? He had 23 then 19 before this year. That looks like nonimprovement to me. But keep making things up man. I miss sure at some point you’ll stoke gold on one of these claims.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Either the haters will be right and laughing at the contract when Wilson fails or Wilson will continue to improve and the haters will....well...hate him at every turn. Nothing really has changed except those that hate Tom Wilson have 2 more things to hate him for. His contract and his name is on the Stanley cup.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
So youre really trynna tell me that you'll rather have wilson on your team at 5.17 M with his career break out 35pts and his 35 goals and 69 assists in near 400 nhl games. Than JVR that has 2 30+ season with almost 3 (put up 29 goals the year before), had two 20+ goals season & and put 18G 14A in 48games 5-6 years ago. & James Neal that dont have anything else to prove with a career stats of 0,70 pts per game in 700 nhl games plus multiple season of 20+ goals, one 40 goals season and 1 or 2 30+ goals season.... And now you telling me that Wilson worth more than those two ? Hmmm ok

If you ask me who I would rather on the Caps for a post season run, I would definitely take Wilson over those guys. Isn’t winning cups what it’s all about?

Brutal. These are mostly RFA years, too. Haha

Incorrect. 66% of years are UFA

Like Clarkson he'll go from fan favorite to most hated player over night.

Unless he stops trying, we will never hate Willy.

They're going to have at some point to add to their team. They won last year but that roster doesn't scream repeat winner to me.

We are a backup and a 4th line Centre removed from the same team... that’s about as close as you can get to being ‘repeat winner worthy’

that's true. Hyman had 1 more 5v5 point than Wilson this year, and he's also a top PKer. he's only making 2.25 million a year though. he's a much better comparison for Wilson than the 30G 55+ point center

Hes really not a good comparison at all. Wilson is the most dangerous player on the ice in the league from a physicality perspective. What does Hymen do that is best in the league?

4th liner makes 6mil for 5 years now?

This is some next level boat anchor. Oh, and it is 50% signing bonuses so you can't even buyout properly.

1st liner. But depending who you ask, he’s not a first liner to the detractors until they want to point out his line mates where it’s clear he is a first liner now... XD

Hawks core was in their young/mid 20’s when they won their 1st cup and on cheap deals.

Caps’ core is late 20’s/ early 30’s and has big time deals already.

I guess my point I’m trying to make is once the Hawks started handing out big time contracts to depth players they started to fade. Wilson is a valuable player, but a depth player. He got paid like a core player.

Ovechkin is the oldest core player.
There’s no reason to expect declines yet. If anything, Wilson, Kuzy, Orlov, Vrana + others all should be on the upswing.

if he's the magic ingredient to winning a cup, look for half the GMs to promote a Tom Wilson esque person to the first line to "create space". This season should be interesting!

They should! If they can find one. But they can’t. That’s why Willy is getting what he’s getting. He is a unique player with high hockey IQ, a great ability to learn and improve to go along with his physical dominance.

must be easy to look like a top 6 player surrounded by Ovechkin and Backstrom

It’s the opposite. Play with the best and your flaws are all the more appparent. Wilson fits in like a glove thanks to his all round ability.

And how many people had this year's roster as Cup winners before the season? Despite winning the Cup, their chances this year were smaller than last year, and they're going to continue to shrink as the team gets older.

Nah. See above. Many core players still on the upswing. No reason to expect a decline.

disorder

Oct 31, 2008
This is a great deal.. He is still young ad can improve. This contract will be lower than market value for 35pt supporting scorer, who can check, and play up and down the line up. I would love him as a Flyer fan.

Reactions: third man in
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->