Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Tom Wilson (6 years, 5.17M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Washington fans are still in cup hangover mode.

It's going to take at least until the all-star break or getting bounced in the playoffs for the reality of this contract to kick in.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yeah, that's not really what I'm talking about. I like Mojo a lot and I hope he's successful for you guys moving forward. But the Caps had to move salary out last summery to re-sign Kuzy and Oshie, and GMBM made the right call in letting Williams walk and trading Mojo. That's all I'm saying. Mojo could have put up 60 points for you guys and it still would have been the right move because it allowed the Caps to keep the (obviously successful) roster they iced in 17-18. He's done a really good job over the last few years getting rid of contracts when necessary.

Ah my mistake, I thought you meant like yeah he sucks.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
If he gets PP time and shows he can elevate to a 50 point player I would say the contract is worth it. The question is, 1) is he going to get PP time, and 2) can he produce 10-15P on the PP?

The only thing he can elevate is his elbow into people's heads.

They had to pay him this so he'd pocket $4M after suspensions.

Jogging God

Jul 1, 2018
Virginia
twitter.com
Yes...the guy who's never scored more then 35 points in a season has scored 44 points of any kind in his last 82 regular season games. Did you just pull a random number out of your head and throw it out there in the hopes I'd believe it?
As a first liner I meant. Forgot that tidbit at the end.

Also it’s funny seeing fans of bottom feeder teams trying to talk crap.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Vrana RFA 2019 summer. You can't afford him, so that is an incoming trade. Not following your own teams contracts not very good start for discussions though... Just saying.

Also read the other 47 pages of this thread to check what the rest of the board thinks about your gm... :-D We ll see next summer in Vrana trade thread.

Yeah shame our cup winning GM who pulled heists of the century like the Oshie deal, signed a top 10 C in the league for under 8 million through his prime and our playoff monster 3C for under 4 million isn't liked by fans of loser teams. Maybe we can trade him in for John Chayka and dwell in the basement while hf gets hot and bothered over his brilliant corsi mcvalue moves

Vrana can be strong armed into a <3 million bridge deal just like Burakovsky and Wilson was coming off his elc. If there's no cap crunch we easily have the money. If there's a cap crunch... Well I'd still much rather be us than the Wild and about 25 other teams that's for sure

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wow we're almost at 50 pages. We can't stop now!

wilson-celebrates-goal.gif

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Lol Wilson had less ES points than Zach Hyman and Michael Ferland who both filled the same niche that Wilson did last season.

If either of those players got a 4x4 contract it would get universally panned on this website

It's almost like Wilson wasn't signed for his pointage but because he did the stuff Hyman couldn't these playoffs

And you may be surprised how much Ferland ends up fetching if he actually starts playing consistently and never takes a game off like Wilson

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
As a first liner I meant. Forgot that tidbit at the end.

Also it’s funny seeing fans of bottom feeder teams trying to talk crap.
What? What the hell are you saying? That the last 82 games spread out over his career that he played on the first line he’s accumulated 44 points? Where are you getting this information from and the stats to back this up? And you just happened to leave that out of your comment? Yea alright chief.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Haha. At least our GM didn't sign Bickell this summer.

Lmao that's hf in a nutshell. Who cares about cups when your offseason looks good on paper to the unwashed masses. How did that work out for universally acclaimed 2017 offseason champion Dallas Stars this year?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Not for nothing but nobody could've predicted the concussions Mojo had.

Maybe so but he was one of the most forgettable 50 point players out there. We did not miss his lauded transition game and zone entries at all, actually improved with Kuznetsov absorbing most of his duties.

There's a difference between a 70 point Patrice Bergeron and a 70 point Jason Spezza. People who think we signed him because we need him to be a high scoring player (despite never using him on the pp where he'd be good for another 10-15 points) just don't get it and probably never will no matter how many times Wilson steamrolls their teams in the playoffs

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
To all the stat checking NHL fans out there, he would have gotten 5 million on the open market easily. Tom Wilson is more than fighter. He opens up the ice for Kuzy and OV.

The open market gave Lucic 6M, smart deal?

Jogging God

Jul 1, 2018
Virginia
twitter.com
Yeah shame our cup winning GM who pulled heists of the century like the Oshie deal, signed a top 10 C in the league for under 8 million through his prime and our playoff monster 3C for under 4 million isn't liked by fans of loser teams. Maybe we can trade him in for John Chayka and dwell in the basement while hf gets hot and bothered over his brilliant corsi mcvalue moves

Vrana can be strong armed into a <3 million bridge deal just like Burakovsky and Wilson was coming off his elc. If there's no cap crunch we easily have the money. If there's a cap crunch... Well I'd still much rather be us than the Wild and about 25 other teams that's for sure

Gee, maybe it’s as if a GM who constructed a championship team should be trusted.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017

and I thought the Matt Martin deal was bad. This is such a bad deal both in terms of cap hit and term. $5million per season is what you pay a good 2C or 2-3 dman on most teams (there are exceptions). For a career bottom 6 right-winger who has yet to even break half-a point per game pace for any season in his career, this is a mad number. I figured he would have gotten signed for around $2-2.5 million for maybe 4 years tops, and even that looked like it had some risk attached.

Caps must see something in him that the rest of us don't. I think this will end up burning them.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Was Lucic a young player on the upswing? We're actually paying players for what they'll do not what they did in their glory days. Other GMs should try it

Was his career high 35?

Open market is were the worst contracts are handed out, that's not always the best excuse to use.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

and I thought the Matt Martin deal was bad. This is such a bad deal both in terms of cap hit and term. $5million per season is what you pay a good 2C or 2-3 dman on most teams (there are exceptions). For a career bottom 6 right-winger who has yet to even break half-a point per game pace for any season in his career, this is a mad number. I figured he would have gotten signed for around $2-2.5 million for maybe 4 years tops, and even that looked like it had some risk attached.

Caps must see something in him that the rest of us don't. I think this will end up burning them.

Well for starters this career bottom 6 winger was our top line fixture for half the season and 4 playoff rounds against overwhelmingly favored teams where he put up 15 even strength points. He's also penciled in to be our 1RW for the foreseeable future or at least as long as Ovechkin is under contract.

Other fans should get at least a couple more chances to get a good hard look at it in late spring/early summer

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Was his career high 35?

Open market is were the worst contracts are handed out, that's not always the best excuse to use.

Probably not that many even strength points though who knows. Wilson's ES numbers put him in respectable offensively gifted company. The fact that he doesn't PP on a team with the Caps offensive depth but eats up the hard minutes instead so Jakub Vrana can waltz around 5 on 4 can't really be held against him

If Wilson was on the open market he'd be a Canuck making between 40 and 50 mil

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Was Lucic a young player on the upswing? We're actually paying players for what they'll do not what they did in their glory days. Other GMs should try it

How do you know what a player will do? For all you know Wilson could end up being a high teens to 20 something point player like before. This past season could end up being his high point of his career we just don't know. To me it looks like Capitals payed Wilson for his glory days (this past playoffs especially)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad