Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Tom Wilson (6 years, 5.17M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I like tough players and value them more than the average fancy stats fanboy around here does, but this is way too much money, way too much term for a guy who's got a career high of 14 goals. The Caps have gone bonkers, Wilson is a guy you trade so that you don't have to overpay and you replace his 14 goals by signing a guy like Hartnell on the cheap. Seriously, this is a David Clarkson/Milan Lucic level mistake by the Caps.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oh? Finally winning one means multiple are guaranteed? I take back what I said before. I want what you’re drinking instead of the other guy. And I’ll take the mega millions number as well since you can see into the future evidently.

Ping me when you win your first playoff series in 7 or more seasons and we’ll compare notes.

Winning cures all.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wow finally not being a laughingstock gives you all some big britches huh.

Long time coming thanks. It was the last slap anybody around here had left to insult us with and believe me it was used 1000x more the last 40+ years than any Caps fan will ever be able to return in kind since winning.

Sorry. Guess you’ll have to find another scab to pick at. This one is all healed thanks.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Long time coming thanks. It was the last slap anybody around here had left to insult us with and believe me it was used 1000x more the last 40+ years than any Caps fan will ever be able to return in kind since winning.

Sorry. Guess you’ll have to find another scab to pick at. This one is all healed thanks.
Still waiting on how winning the cup with a team that wasn’t supposed to win guarantees multiple championships as you’ve done in here.

Reactions: Wanderson

EclecticDarkness

Nov 5, 2013
Maryland
Is it a bad contract? Yes. Do I care even slightly? No. It’s hilarious. Inflates that real estate and owns the stat nerds. Worth it for that reason alone

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Tom Wilson has never scored 40 points and is set to make 6.1 million dollars for the 2018-19 season and some of ya'll are calling it a slight over payment. A slight overpayment is him making 4.5 million in the 2019-20 season..

This is a bad contract.
He finally had a half decent season playing with star/superstar level players in his fifth year in the league! He's clearly on the upswing!

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Vrana is gonna get signed to a sweetheart bridge contract when Connolly walks next year. You can have Burakovsky for Kunin though.

What if I told you there is no cap left? You have 1.4mil for all the other roster spots, so paying 3mil x2 bridge will require 4x700k contracts to clear the space.

I ll see your tears next summer, your team just got Chicagoed. Congratulations, when you understand what is the difference between 1.4 and 4.4mil "roster filler" players.

Say hello to Wilson version 1.0. Bryan Bickell at eliteprospects.com

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
My favorite thing about this thread is that even the few reasonable Caps' fans in here who agree it was overpayment (incl term) still respond with an extra million a year isn't a big deal....

How can you say that in a cap league when you have significant $ already tied up in: Ovy, Kuze, Oshie, Niskanen, Carlson, and Orlov...most of which run through the 2021 season.

What crystal ball do you guys have to say $1 mil of overpayment (FOR SIX YEARS), isn't going to hurt you? I don't get it.

I expected him to get 4x4. I don't understand how Wilson was able to pull off extended term AND a much higher AAV than anyone expected.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Wow finally not being a laughingstock gives you all some big britches huh.

Laughing stock - perennially being one of the best teams in the league and running into Crosby and Malkin isn't that much to laugh at but okay.

Maybe you're thinking of the bottom-dwellers.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
What if I told you there is no cap left? You have 1.4mil for all the other roster spots, so paying 3mil x2 bridge will require 4x700k contracts to clear the space.

I ll see your tears next summer, your team just got Chicagoed. Congratulations, when you understand what is the difference between 1.4 and 4.4mil "roster filler" players.

Say hello to Wilson version 1.0. Bryan Bickell at eliteprospects.com

Congrats when the Minnesota franchise finally sniffs anything close to a Cup ;)

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Laughing stock - perennially being one of the best teams in the league and running into Crosby and Malkin isn't that much to laugh at but okay.

No...I’m pretty good with my thought process. 18 years without getting out of the second round is a pretty big joke.

Reactions: LilWayneJetski

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

Since the last time the Caps made it past the second:

PIT: 5
TB: 2
NYR: 3
MTL: 1
PHI: 1
DNQ: 5

It didn't really matter who they played.

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
Maybe it's a good deal for the Caps.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to really weigh in.

What I do know is that if you're a fan of a team that sucks (1940 -1994; many of those years with only six teams), it DOES NOT invalidate your opinion.

Actually I was smarter prior to 1994.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Since the last time the Caps made it past the second:

PIT: 5
TB: 2
NYR: 3
MTL: 1
PHI: 1
DNQ: 5

It didn't really matter who they played.

Yeah......oh well doesn't matter won the Cup.

In all seriousness I'm actually not one of "those" fans, 99% of Capitals fans are really just happy that we have something nice. I just think it's hilarious that fans of teams that have completely incompetent GMs come in on a high horse about how terrible we should feel about a deal when we just watched Game 5 like 6-7 weeks ago.

Same as people who laugh at Chicago...oh no they are going through an inevitable downturn how terrible. Their fans have three memories that will last a lifetime and they are supposed to feel sad about Bryan Bickell? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad