Confirmed Trade: [WSH/SJS] Brenden Dillon (50% retained) for 2020 2nd round pick, cond. 2021 3rd round pick

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I guess San Jose finally embracing tanking now, trading away their best defensive d-man.
You already got rid of Braun & Ryan, Vlasic the only one left, Hawks be interested if you was kind enough
and give him, for a generous value...
We would love to drop Vlasic if you are willing to cough up some asset

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He's a ******ed Penguins fan, spent like a month arguing that the Capitals cup parade crowd was photoshopped and actually like 20 people or some insane ****. You're getting off lightly here.

My impression of Dillon was that he's a good 3rd pairing D and watching DeMelo go for just a 3rd was grating but everyone seems to think he's more than that and this is a good trade for the Caps so cool. We need defensive stability if that's what he brings
Have watched both Dillon and Demelo regularly. Dillon is much more valuable and flexible in the lineup.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I guess San Jose finally embracing tanking now, trading away their best defensive d-man.
You already got rid of Braun & Ryan, Vlasic the only one left, Hawks be interested if you was kind enough
and give him, for a generous value...
Sharks have 0 incentive to tank. They're trading guys who are pending ufa's that they couldn't/won't re-sign. Don't confuse not being very good with tanking.

Reactions: Phu and Pandaman11

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
As someone who was very low on Dillon in his first few years with us, yes he has gotten much better since.

He is a really good complimentary partner to his D partner. He can honestly play on the top pair as long as the RD is a stud, as he seems to elevate his game based on his partner, and I do not mean he just mooches off them, but actually plays better himself while also benefiting from his partner.

Not sure who Carlson's partner is, or how entrenched that pair is, but if its not set in stone, WSH might honestly want to look at using Dillon there. Not saying he will for sure work with Carlson, but based on Dillon's play with guys like Karlsson and Burns, its worth a look.
Thanks for the insight, I didn't know that.

PS: I doubt that Kempny will be moved away from Carlson, unless they'll really be looking "to shake things up" or something

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Care to point to any specific examples? Most Sharks fans expected something around a 2nd from what I saw. This return is actually pretty much exactly in line with what I expected and I think many Sharks fans expected.

Late 2nd at 50% retained isn't a 2nd + prospect or a 1st. None of you expected this.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
PS: I doubt that Kempny will be moved away from Carlson, unless they'll really be looking "to shake things up" or something

Kempny has really struggled since returning from his injury. He's having trouble keeping up and its hurting Carlson. I think Dillon is almost certainly playing with Carlson and Kempny getting moved down or to the press box

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Late 2nd at 50% retained isn't a 2nd + prospect or a 1st. None of you expected this.

Well technically a 2nd and a 3rd is a 2nd and a prospect. And 50% retained means nothing when he is on an expiring contract and the Sharks aren't adding anything to their roster this year.

I think every single Sharks fan expected a 2nd, the 3rd was just gravy.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
More importantly... What will Brenden Dillon use as his goal song? Taylor Swift? Megadeth? Skrillex?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The 3rd round pick attached to the trade turns into a prospect in case you didn't know and if you're going to quibble over the semantics of an additional pick or a prospect well then you're just reaching to save face from your obviously ridiculous comments on this subject. Like always, you prove that you have no damn clue about what you talk about. Get better in the intellectual department then start talking to people here.

d99gr81

Dec 30, 2006
Kempny has really struggled since returning from his injury. He's having trouble keeping up and its hurting Carlson. I think Dillon is almost certainly playing with Carlson and Kempny getting moved down or to the press box

LOL Carlson has the Norris pretty much locked and you say Kempny is hurting him? The Caps in general are on a little slump at the moment but the Caps have a slump like this around this time of the year every year. Its nothing to worry about. Honestly sometimes I think they get bored a little during their slumps. The spent most of the season on top of the NHL... The break actually hurt the Caps and Ovie as they were on fire. That said I am sure they will take a look at Dillon with Carlson also. They are never shy about rotating their guys with other guys. In fact they do it on purpose sometimes just to keep everyone in sync. The Caps a very very close knit team and their system is about the system not specific players. They can interchange and still keep winning. I like the trade for the Caps. I think you see the Caps rotating a few defensmen in and out of the line up to keep them fresh. Caps are an older team now and have played a lot of extra hockey over the years.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
More importantly... What will Brenden Dillon use as his goal song? Taylor Swift? Megadeth? Skrillex?
I think it's cute that you think it even matters.

He only scores 1-2 goals a year, but the one this year and last year were really solid plays. You can tell he has offensive game but he sticks to the script. Total team player.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I think it's cute that you think it even matters.

He only scores 1-2 goals a year, but the one this year and last year were really solid plays. You can tell he has offensive game but he sticks to the script. Total team player.

I actually don't. Was an off-hand remark to get things back on track due to Southgeorge or whatever his name is the Caps troll taking over too much thread space. You can tell by me listing Taylor Swift, Megadeth, or Skrillex, stuff no one listens to.

Or how serious I am by letting the audience be Rickrolled by Dillon scoring using Rick Astley. Although the feeling of surprise would probably be the same.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
The 3rd round pick attached to the trade turns into a prospect in case you didn't know and if you're going to quibble over the semantics of an additional pick or a prospect well then you're just reaching to save face from your obviously ridiculous comments on this subject. Like always, you prove that you have no damn clue about what you talk about. Get better in the intellectual department then start talking to people here.

No, when you say prospect in trades. It usually means a player already drafted/developed for a few years. Next time say a late 2nd at 50% retained and 3rd and people will take you seriously in trade proposal threads. Not a 2nd + prospect or 1st.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This guy is going to play with Carlson, or Orlov (eventually)......fully expect Kempny coming off a major injury to be pushed down the lineup.

I’m expecting Dillon to help solidify the top pair.

Reactions: Phu

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
No, when you say prospect in trades. It usually means a player already drafted/developed for a few years. Next time say a late 2nd at 50% retained and 3rd and people will take you seriously in trade proposal threads. Not a 2nd + prospect or 1st.

No the f*** it doesn't. Elliotte Friedman said "maybe a prospect" which meant it would be a mediocre prospect if we did get one. A 3rd round pick is equivalent to the value of a mediocre prospect no matter what kind of spin you desperately try to put on it.

Reactions: Phu

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
No the f*ck it doesn't. Elliotte Friedman said "maybe a prospect" which meant it would be a mediocre prospect if we did get one. A 3rd round pick is equivalent to the value of a mediocre prospect no matter what kind of spin you desperately try to put on it.

A late 2nd for 50% retained could basically be a 3rd. This trade could have happened for two 3rds. Anyways, just use this trade as a teaching moment on future trade proposals.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

So you're going to quibble over the meaningless difference between prospect and draft pick when plenty of people understand that it's the same thing in terms of trade value. You're not doing yourself any favors holding on to that argument. That stuff is interchangeable and it only makes it transparent that you look for any stupid little thing to flame a fan base over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad