Confirmed Trade: [WSH/SJS] Brenden Dillon (50% retained) for 2020 2nd round pick, cond. 2021 3rd round pick

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
LOL Carlson has the Norris pretty much locked and you say Kempny is hurting him? The Caps in general are on a little slump at the moment but the Caps have a slump like this around this time of the year every year. Its nothing to worry about. Honestly sometimes I think they get bored a little during their slumps. The spent most of the season on top of the NHL... The break actually hurt the Caps and Ovie as they were on fire. That said I am sure they will take a look at Dillon with Carlson also. They are never shy about rotating their guys with other guys. In fact they do it on purpose sometimes just to keep everyone in sync. The Caps a very very close knit team and their system is about the system not specific players. They can interchange and still keep winning. I like the trade for the Caps. I think you see the Caps rotating a few defensmen in and out of the line up to keep them fresh. Caps are an older team now and have played a lot of extra hockey over the years.

Yes, definitely. Carlson looks fairly pedestrian with Kempny and like a Norris winner with Orlov. I don't blame Kempny as he literally had his hamstring re-attached to his femur this summer but it's clear he's not healthy or at full strength. Hopefully Dillon's acquisition gives him fewer minutes and easier assignments and allows him to get back to the level we know he can play at.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Sharks have 0 incentive to tank. They're trading guys who are pending ufa's that they couldn't/won't re-sign. Don't confuse not being very good with tanking.
it's not even about them re-signing, it's about desperately needing picks in a scenario where tanking doesn't help.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Where are the Caps expecting him to play?

Dillon is nice as a 2nd or 3rd pair defenseman, but it’s a stretch to look at him as a 1st pair guy.

Seems like a reasonable trade for both teams.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
He could easily play on the first line. Dillon does well with top guys like Burns and Karlsson

Dillon does fine in the regular season on the top line. He was great with Karlsson last season.

He struggles when you get into the later playoff rounds, where I expect the Caps are looking to go. He stuck out like a sore thumb in the Pens series in 2016, and was poor against the Blues last year as well.

He cannot keep up with quick/shifty players. He is a decent up and down skater, but he takes too long to stop and start.

Solid 2nd pairing guy, but I would put money on him making some critical mistakes that cost them games if the Caps plan to use him as a top pair shutdown guy.

Reactions: Sjsharks5

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Hopefully

Dillon Carlson
Orlov Jensen
Djoos/Sieg Gudas

Let Kempny rest and recover and see what Djoos has to offer

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
He is a 4th 5th defender. Should be used as a bottom pairing defensemen. Can help out on the second pair at times. Will drop the gloves. Team first guy. Great Dude.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I wonder what this means for Jensen or Gudas. Thought they already had 6 regular dmen.
Jensen probably would be out. Gudas has been very good much of the season and helps replace orpiks strength while be completely better defensively. If we kept Orpik around we’d almost certainly keep Gudas, and I really hope they do.

I like this trade for the Caps and I don’t even think they ought to feel desperate. Having awful stretches isn’t out of character for this team, they almost got Trotz fired the year they won their cup. The defense has always been solid for them and looked like one of the best groups earlier this year. I think they will be strong again by the end of the season.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Dillon does fine in the regular season on the top line. He was great with Karlsson last season.

He struggles when you get into the later playoff rounds, where I expect the Caps are looking to go. He stuck out like a sore thumb in the Pens series in 2016, and was poor against the Blues last year as well.

He cannot keep up with quick/shifty players. He is a decent up and down skater, but he takes too long to stop and start.

Solid 2nd pairing guy, but I would put money on him making some critical mistakes that cost them games if the Caps plan to use him as a top pair shutdown guy.

The Caps don't use their top pair as their shutdown pairing, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Reactions: CapsJunkie

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Press conference has confirmed more or less what everyone suspected. Will be a partner for Carlson or Orlov. Orlov would mean one of them playing their off side, Carlson is a natural fit in terms of handedness. Brenden Dillon will play in the Capitals’ top four with either John Carlson or Dmitry Orlov

Really excited, this guy is being sold as a modern version of Orpik, which is pretty much exactly what the Caps top 4 needed back.

I could see that. He is a #4/5 alone, but has proved to be a more than capable compliment to good puck movers.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Where are the Caps expecting him to play?

Dillon is nice as a 2nd or 3rd pair defenseman, but it’s a stretch to look at him as a 1st pair guy.

Seems like a reasonable trade for both teams.

He's not even a nice 2nd or 3rd pair guy, he's a #6-#7. His play has dropped off a cliff.

TheGooooch

Mar 29, 2008
San Francisco
I'm sure you're a real impartial judge of his play.

It’s safe to say I’ve watched him play a fair bit.
A general manager just traded for him and plans to play him as a bigger piece than a 6/7 defender. I would say that general manager is a better judge than you or I. So don’t take my word for it, take the word of someone that actually gets paid in gauging value of players.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I think everyone here knows you’ve never seen him play

Well aren't you just the intellectual gem. Rather than offering reasons why you think Dillon is more than a mediocre bottom pairing D, you've chosen this route instead. I get it, someone having a different opinion than you is scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad