Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Nick Jensen signs extension with the Capitals (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Jensen is a nice player, but four years is a bit long.

It's a risk-reward signing for sure. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if he landed a 3 or 4 year deal this summer if available.

I'll root for him to continue doing well. But I had no interest in bringing him back with the current state of Detroit and at his age. Thankfully Detroit agreed.

Crazy he went from healthy scratch to a future 2nd rounder.

Reactions: TS Quint

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It could lower his numbers as he will be playing less minutes.

See the rangers and brendan smith for an example of what can go wrong.

Or he could assume a larger role. Caps D is hardly set in stone. Besides, lesser minutes doesn't necessarily translate to worse stats. Maybe worse offensive production, but that's not what we're expecting anyway.

Last edited:

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
Happens all the time.

Pacioretty was traded to Vegas and extended the same day too.
I forgot about Pacioretty. I just wonder if the value of the player who is set up to sign a contract with his new team changes as much as it does in the NBA with the formal sign and trades.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Capitals have a certain way with defensemen since Trotz, Reirden and MacLellan came to power. Niskanen became more than what was expected. Orlov was fixed. Carlson is a Norris Trophy contender. Kempny was a pro scouting dumpster dive score, which is what is going on with Jensen and Orpik has remained viable far longer than people thought when he signed. And then their is Djoos who is a good young player recovering from compartment syndrome surgery.

When it comes to defensemen. The Caps seem to know what they are doing.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Yea except he’s never been above a #4 on a **** team... good move by Dubas. This price was too high.

I hate the reductiveness of describing defensemen like this. There's no such thing as a #4 defenseman. Teams don't rank their Ds and put them in order, they match them depending on how they fit together and what they want each pairing's role to be. Jensen's played on the Wings' shutdown pairing, got over 20 minutes a night without any time on the PP, and led their team in PK time. And it's not like he's just a warm body they threw in that role because they had no one else - he's got the best possession metrics on the team despite his role, so he's clearly handled it well. I don't know how you can say that 2.5M is too high for that kind of player in today's NHL when the cap's about to pass $80M.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yea except he’s never been above a #4 on a **** team... good move by Dubas. This price was too high.

Too high? It was a fringe prospect Bowey and 2nd-5th pick swap for Jensen. And they were able to re-sign Jensen on a value contract.

That's an incredibly cheap acquisition and financial cost for an everyday, top-four RH defenseman. Quite a strong move for the Caps. If Dubas didn't want to top that then...that's his loss.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
is there any reason why a team wouldn't wait a week or two after acquiring a player to sign him to an extension?

it's not as if his price would skyrocket in such a short period of time, and at least you get to judge the player a little better, seeing if he'd potentially fit with the roster before committing no?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
is there any reason why a team wouldn't wait a week or two after acquiring a player to sign him to an extension?

it's not as if his price would skyrocket in such a short period of time, and at least you get to judge the player a little better, seeing if he'd potentially fit with the roster before committing no?

Player may no longer agree to it.

You gamble on the skills and development they demonstrated and overpay with term, if the gamble pays off you get a Stralman, Arvidsson, Josi type steal that gives you a major competitive advantage. Even if he's not a worldbeater at 2.5 million that could still be Jarnkrok like value on defense.

It's not inconceivable that Kempny-Jensen could be a non ELC 2nd pair making 5 million total.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I have never understood why teams sign players to an extension before even playing a single game with them after being acquired.

Why not play him for 20 games see how he fits and then decide if you want to sign him for 4 years?

He might do so well he prices himself out of town...

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
It could lower his numbers as he will be playing less minutes.

See the rangers and brendan smith for an example of what can go wrong.

I bet ya the Sharks wish they could have extended Karlsson from day 1

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's an excellent contract. Jensen could have gotten a larger AAV in the summer.

The Capitals are a good job. It may not quite be the glam job of Toronto, The Rangers or Flyers maybe.

Lets also not forget that there is an expansion draft coming

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018

From Jensen's point of view, signing this deal now insulates himself from a lot of risk. If he struggles adjusting to a new system or suffers a major injury, it could literally cost him 10's of millions of dollars. There's a value for Jensen in eliminating that risk, and that means the Caps can offer him less money in exchange for assuming that risk themselves. If they waited 20 games to see if he fits with the roster, his price would increase. Maybe it wouldn't skyrocket, but on a team that's constantly pressing as close to the cap as they can, saving even an extra 250K can make a huge difference.

There's also the psychological effect this will have on Jensen. Without a deal, Jensen would spend the next few weeks trying to adapt to a new club while knowing that his future earnings on his first big contract ebb and flow with every mistake he makes. We see pending UFAs struggle to find their game with new clubs with contracts on the line all the time. Signing this deal now takes that pressure off of Jensen, and sends a strong message about how confident the club is in him that they're willing to commit to him long term without a trial period. Maybe he checks out after getting his paycheck, but I'd bet that a guy who stuck with hockey and broke into the league so late is more likely to value that loyalty.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
From Jensen's point of view, signing this deal now insulates himself from a lot of risk. If he struggles adjusting to a new system or suffers a major injury, it could literally cost him 10's of millions of dollars. There's a value for Jensen in eliminating that risk, and that means the Caps can offer him less money in exchange for assuming that risk themselves. If they waited 20 games to see if he fits with the roster, his price would increase. Maybe it wouldn't skyrocket, but on a team that's constantly pressing as close to the cap as they can, saving even an extra 250K can make a huge difference.

There's also the psychological effect this will have on Jensen. Without a deal, Jensen would spend the next few weeks trying to adapt to a new club while knowing that his future earnings on his first big contract ebb and flow with every mistake he makes. We see pending UFAs struggle to find their game with new clubs with contracts on the line all the time. Signing this deal now takes that pressure off of Jensen, and sends a strong message about how confident the club is in him that they're willing to commit to him long term without a trial period. Maybe he checks out after getting his paycheck, but I'd bet that a guy who stuck with hockey and broke into the league so late is more likely to value that loyalty.

Very well said.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Right now it's low risk, high reward because he's yet to play a game for Wash.

It's not that bad of a contract, but better them than us. Would still rather have the draft pick over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad