Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Nick Jensen signs extension with the Capitals (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I have never understood why teams sign players to an extension before even playing a single game with them after being acquired.

Why not play him for 20 games see how he fits and then decide if you want to sign him for 4 years?
So Detroit can get him back next year for a 4th, and watch him return to good form, amidst a sea of salty tears? ;)

IcedJuicebox

Feb 2, 2019
Would love him on the Leafs for that.

He’s a #4 on a contender imo
I have an obvious bias, as red wings are my team, but I've always liked him, was still convinced hed be a good nhl d man even after he turned 26 and still hadn't been called up.

But I too think hes a solid #4 d on a great team. I think theres still some offense to squeeze out of him too, since hes still relatively new to the nhl, which Is what I believe the caps are thinkingwith the 4 year contract right off the bat.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
This trade looks so much better now. Get Jensen cost controlled for 4 more years
Or you could say they just got locked into 4 years for a guy who at the age of 28 has only had a year and a half of regular NHL play.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Well that makes a decent trade even better. Good signing, a bit of term but at a good number. As long as his play doesn't fall off a cliff that'll be a moveable contract.

Very shrewd for the Caps. Now again with this signing I wonder what the Leafs will do. I'm sure thats a contract+player they wouldn't mind having in the least.

Reactions: third man in

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If he finishes with ~40 points I could his floor being 3 x 3 or something along those lines.
That’s probably around the Caps ceiling, really depends on if another team loves him, only takes one team with a crazy offer

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Same could be said for all free agent signings I guess. I think Caps management have a pretty good sample of how he plays.

You don't have to give up assets other than cap and cash for a signing though and how many FA signings end up being terrible? With a trade you're given a free look to assess before you drive in the truck full of money. I agree with the poster you were responding to, I think just making sure it's a good fit in terms of personalities, playstyles, and coaching would have helped. Getting any bit of added data is beneficial.

That being said I really like Jensen. He's very underrated. Though it seems not super underrated given the love for him here.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have never understood why teams sign players to an extension before even playing a single game with them after being acquired.

Why not play him for 20 games see how he fits and then decide if you want to sign him for 4 years?

Oh I don’t know maybe because inserting him into a stronger lineup could boost his numbers and potentially make his ask unpalatable later on? If they did their homework, they probably got glowing feedback on him in the room and love what they see on the ice. Easy extension for the price tag.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Worst case he's an expensive #6/#7.He's not Jack Johnson, that's always a plus.

Habs have Alzner in the AHL and signed for another 3 years at nearly 5M cap hit. This deal is perfectly reasonable, especially knowing how some GMs tend to overpay come UFA time for mediocre assets.

Reactions: Hivemind

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Oh I don’t know maybe because inserting him into a stronger lineup could boost his numbers and potentially make his ask unpalatable later on? If they did their homework, they probably got glowing feedback on him in the room and love what they see on the ice. Easy extension for the price tag.

It could lower his numbers as he will be playing less minutes.

See the rangers and brendan smith for an example of what can go wrong.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Discussions involving the potential cap implications for the Capitals come next season appears to be based on the cap remaining stagnant at 79.5 and thus after the Jensen signing the projected cap space being at 9.1. Problem with this is Gary Bettman was indicating a number at 83 million in December and Bob Mackenzie was using a figure of 85 when he was analyzing the Matthews signing with the Leafs and the expected signing of Marner. Going with the 83 number would translate into a projected cap space of 12.6, which should be more than enough for Vrana, Connolly and RFAs Djoos, Stephenson, Dowd

Reactions: peterthegreat12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad