Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Nick Jensen signs extension with the Capitals (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
A 2nd seems to be at the high end of what even Wings fans were hoping for. They must be the only reasonable fans on this board with Caps fans so happy with the deal. Normally you have fans wanting a 2nd for their AHLer who would obviously be a top 9 on any other team.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
From Jensen's point of view, signing this deal now insulates himself from a lot of risk. If he struggles adjusting to a new system or suffers a major injury, it could literally cost him 10's of millions of dollars. There's a value for Jensen in eliminating that risk, and that means the Caps can offer him less money in exchange for assuming that risk themselves. If they waited 20 games to see if he fits with the roster, his price would increase. Maybe it wouldn't skyrocket, but on a team that's constantly pressing as close to the cap as they can, saving even an extra 250K can make a huge difference.

There's also the psychological effect this will have on Jensen. Without a deal, Jensen would spend the next few weeks trying to adapt to a new club while knowing that his future earnings on his first big contract ebb and flow with every mistake he makes. We see pending UFAs struggle to find their game with new clubs with contracts on the line all the time. Signing this deal now takes that pressure off of Jensen, and sends a strong message about how confident the club is in him that they're willing to commit to him long term without a trial period. Maybe he checks out after getting his paycheck, but I'd bet that a guy who stuck with hockey and broke into the league so late is more likely to value that loyalty.
I'm just saying hes 28 and has been a NHL regular for a year and a half. The Wings really seemed to he pumping his ice time for a guy who was a scratch just last year. Now the caps offer him a deal for more than 2x that amount of time. It's a no brainer for Jensen. I honestly hope it works out for the Caps and I'm not saying it wont but Jensen has to be ecstatic.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I legit thought this was former Canuck winger Nicklas Jensen and he had just signed with the Wings at some point lol

Who is Nick Jensen and why did Washington think he was worth this package and contract?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
This is an enormous assumption of risk for Jensen, Caps have had a ton of D leave and get crazy contracts, the fact there are no rentals left on D shows how shallow free agency will be there, and the Caps have been scouting him for however long, it’s not like his agents were scouting the Caps to project his numbers.

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This is an enormous assumption of risk for Jensen, Caps have had a ton of D leave and get crazy contracts, the fact there are no rentals shows how shallow free agency will be, and the Caps have been scouting him for however long, it’s not like his agents were scouting the Caps to project his numbers.
I think to be absolutely correct you need to say “how shallow free agency will be on D.” I don’t see too many good D exchanging teams this season but the F crop will be exceptionally strong both TDL and possibly offseason. I like Muzzin but don’t think he fixes the Leafs problems. I like Jensen for the Caps and I kinda doubt we’re going to see any other mid- to high-profile DMen being moved.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I think to be absolutely correct you need to say “how shallow free agency will be on D.” I don’t see too many good D exchanging teams this season but the F crop will be exceptionally strong both TDL and possibly offseason. I like Muzzin but don’t think he fixes the Leafs problems. I like Jensen for the Caps and I kinda doubt we’re going to see any other mid- to high-profile DMen being moved.
Muzzin has a year left too, there’s going to be no one on D July 1st

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Have fun with your AHL defenseman Caps. Lol. He's just another right handed shot. We only brought him up 2 yrs ago up because no one else was apparently ready and we didn't have enough rh shots. He's basically been a 7th dman and occasionally played top 4 because he had to.

Reactions: Oddbob

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Have fun with your AHL defenseman Caps. Lol. He's just another right handed shot. We only brought him up 2 yrs ago up because no one else was apparently ready and we didn't have enough rh shots. He's basically been a 7th dman and occasionally played top 4 because he had to.
Truth be told I'd say he's been 1 of our better Dmen all year long...Nothing flashy, but got the job done.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
This is an enormous assumption of risk for Jensen, Caps have had a ton of D leave and get crazy contracts, the fact there are no rentals left on D shows how shallow free agency will be there, and the Caps have been scouting him for however long, it’s not like his agents were scouting the Caps to project his numbers.
Well his agent would have been scouting the league and would have had a pretty good idea of what would have been available to him.

I’m just saying. But I’m not rooting against him to do well.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
So after his first game, what do the Caps fans think?
Immediately the Caps best defenseman protecting the crease, pleasantly surprised by his burst, zone exits weren’t as good as I was expecting but wasn’t on the same page with his partner a few times, room for improvement there, happy about contract.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Man this was such an incredibly shrewd move by the Caps. He always stood out when watching detroit and now young to a better team I think his development is going to jump off.

laxplayer

Oct 19, 2003
San Diego
If he finishes with ~40 points I could his floor being 3 x 3 or something along those lines.

I wouldn't be that upset if they let him walk. Especially with the way Barber is playing in Hershey.

...though 40+ pts and 20+ Gs might give me pause for sure. I mean the guy was a former 1st rounder (6th overall) and might just be a late bloomer for a forward. 40+ pts is pretty frickin good for a $850 cap hit guy.

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
Want to bump this thread, Jensen so far looks amazing, does everything right and is noticeable (in a good way) every game, feels like a great deal and a great extension.

Reactions: Perratrooper

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
A 2nd seems to be at the high end of what even Wings fans were hoping for. They must be the only reasonable fans on this board with Caps fans so happy with the deal. Normally you have fans wanting a 2nd for their AHLer who would obviously be a top 9 on any other team.

I think he very obviously wasn't coming back and we would have lost him for a second. I'd still do the trade.

He's doing great with the caps and I would love to see him win a cup, so there's that.

Win-win

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Caps are 7-0 in the seven games that Jensen has dressed for the team. He, along with Hagelin, have significantly increased their team speed and their ability to play fast and break out quickly. He's reduced the stress and workload on Matt Niskanen who is having a rough year and looks worn down a bit, and he's been terrific on the PK -- a huge area of weakness for the Caps before February -- and on the breakout. He's fit in quite nicely.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015

That AHL dman has been pretty damn impressive so far.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Happy with the trade! I’d love to see the Caps do well again this year, and Bowy has shown some decent chops since settling down on a pairing with Kronwall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad