Confirmed Trade: [WSH/DET] Anthony Mantha for Jakub Vrana, Richard Panik, 2021 1st, and 2022 2nd

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The big winner of this trade was Mantha. He's going to do well in Washington.

However he does in DC, remember that he was never going to do that in Detroit.

unless the Wings did something crazy like get an NHL Coach anyways

but can't both do that and make Blashill become the longest tenured Coach in the league so Mantha had to go

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
IMO Mantha will be an be a good fit for the Caps.

As for who got the better end of the deal, SY did. The man built the Bolts, trained JBB. Hated to see him move on from Tampa. But in the long run, hockey needs a SY to rebuild another team. Like it or not, the Wingers will be a force in 3-4 years, maybe sooner.
Yzerman won the trade because of what he did in Tampa? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Reactions: stardog

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
unless the Wings did something crazy like get an NHL Coach anyways

but can't both do that and make Blashill become the longest tenured Coach in the league so Mantha had to go

Not even Trotz could get results with the current build-up of that squad.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
All of you bumping this to chime in with every goal are just as dumb as the people who said the caps got fleeced. You know that right? Anyways glad he's doing well.
giphy.gif

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
every fan , drw member , media member in detroit had the highest praise for mantha's capabilities and saw him along with larkin as the foundation of the next wave . NOBODY wanted to trade him ecspecially yzerman . but it had got to the point all season that he put in a half ass effort so often , which everybody in the red wings kingdom agreed was so , that he was on the verge of being labled with a bad attitude . this put yzerman in a real tricky position with a very valuable asset so he made a move as insurance against mantha becoming worth way less . and not one fan thats observed every moment of manthas red wing career disagreed with yzermans move . and some may recall when a few years ago jimmy develano came out in the press with the serious ''were very,very,very''comment about mantha's attitude , and he had the same things said about him in jrs ands why he lasted later in draft . so red wing fans cant have any regrets as this was a survival move . and if mantha does good great for him on figuring it out and getting himself focused on becoming an nhl star . mean while we got a younger player thats scored just as many points as mantha plus 2 excellent draft pix and a solid nhl grinder in panik

Reactions: Go Wings

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I question what Hronek can do on a good team now. Had more points than Mantha did on the Red Wings. But I mean, Mantha seems to be showing his full potential capabilities in Washington in ways he couldn't show in Detroit considering Laviolette is mainly an offensive-minded coach.

Unless Mantha has just exposed Blashill as a bad coach, whereas I thought Blashill is a good coach who just didn't have all the right players to put him the right direction.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
All of you bumping this to chime in with every goal are just as dumb as the people who said the caps got fleeced. You know that right? Anyways glad he's doing well.

Idk the Caps pretty massively overpaid for Mantha.

He's a great player and a really good fit for them, but that doesn't mean he's worth what they paid for him. If the Caps win because of the move, not a single Caps fan is going to be mad that they traded too much for Mantha.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017

He's a great player and a really good fit for them, but that doesn't mean he's worth what they paid for him. If the Caps win because of the move, not a single Caps fan is going to be mad that they traded too much for Mantha.

I personally don't think they overpaid when you factor in everything. The 2nd was to take on Panik's contract as a cap dump, so I cancel out those two assets from the rest of the deal. And Mantha has 3 years left, whereas Vrana is a pending UFA. So the Caps add a 1st in the deal to get cap certainty and not have to deal with an RFA negotiation in the covid circumstances.

I think it can be argued the Caps overpaid, but not massively. Dumping Panik and getting some cap certainty for a few years is obviously worth a mid to late 1st and 2nd for them

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I personally don't think they overpaid when you factor in everything. The 2nd was to take on Panik's contract as a cap dump, so I cancel out those two assets from the rest of the deal. And Mantha has 3 years left, whereas Vrana is a pending UFA. So the Caps add a 1st in the deal to get cap certainty and not have to deal with an RFA negotiation in the covid circumstances.

I think it can be argued the Caps overpaid, but not massively. Dumping Panik and getting some cap certainty for a few years is obviously worth a mid to late 1st and 2nd for them

Vrana isn't a pending UFA, he's a pending RFA and not a UFA until I think the 2023 off-season. Mantha only has 1 year of control over Vrana right now.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Chips

Aug 19, 2015

The caps weren’t thinking about immediate drafts, especially this one with so many players playing less/scouts job being harder

They’re not going to be able to just slightly retool when Ovi and Backstrom age out h less they luck out. They’re going to rebuild, and they wanna go all in this year and next and are sure Mantha is better built for playoff hockey than Vrana, who just gets bullied in that style of play unless he just gets lost in coverage.

And Panik, even if he happens to be better than some in the Wings depth was not an add in for Mantha. He was an overpaid plug, a very good plug who doesn’t hurt his team just doesn’t add much that wasn’t easily replaced by multiple Caps guys who can actually score some and cost less.

you pay for cap dumps any year, an especially this year when teams have to pull off gymnastics to avoid cap crunches. There’s leverage moreso than usual in being the team that relieves a burden.

Could they have bickered “well he’s a cap dump for us, but an add for you”? Sure theoretically, except the wings had 100% of the leverage. They didn’t need to trade mantha, certainly not right now whereas they knew the Caps didn’t want mantha in the summer, they wanted him right now for these playoffs and they have immediate cap issues

Detroit had all the leverage here, they’re in no rush to do anything. Even to whatever extent Panik might add something in their eyes, what do they need it for? Are they loading up for a cup any time soon? It was just cap dump, a way overpaid player.

it was expensive, if I’m feeling too lazy to argue semantics I can settle for “overpay” but let’s not act like this was pure wizardry by one GM and idiocy by another; The wings were a tad lucky the Caps were desperate generally, partly due to covid cap crunch and their souring on Vrana or this probably doesn’t happen at all for any price

the Caps knew exactly what they were doing, like many teams who’ve mortgaged the future (hey, higher draft picks a few years longer in a for sure rebuild) for an immediate last ditch Cup effort before their current era ends. They at the very least owe it to Ovechkin and Backstrom, and to the fans to go for it before we’re stuck with no playoffs anyway

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
If the Caps win a Cup this year, can we shut up and say it wasn't an overpay?

It's clear BOTH teams got what they wanted out of this deal already.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yzerman didn't rip off Washington. He just managed to find a trade partner for whom it made sense to provide the assets he needed in return for assets they need. That's how trades are meant to work, and that's why no GM is going to go "oh I better not trade with Yzerman, dude is trying to get one over on you".

Reactions: Silky mitts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad