Confirmed Trade: [WSH/DET] Anthony Mantha for Jakub Vrana, Richard Panik, 2021 1st, and 2022 2nd

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
As a Wings fan who always liked Mantha and views the Caps as a "secondary" team due to Ovie, I am excited to see him hopefully tear it up. I genuinely feel he could be a 35 goal guy when engaged, and while he doesn't always show it, has an edge to his game when angry/motivated.

While I get the skeptics, I can see this trade being looked back at in 5 years as a Win/Win that both teams would do again.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
As a Wings fan who always liked Mantha and views the Caps as a "secondary" team due to Ovie, I am excited to see him hopefully tear it up. I genuinely feel he could be a 35 goal guy when engaged, and while he doesn't always show it, has an edge to his game when angry/motivated.

While I get the skeptics, I can see this trade being looked back at in 5 years as a Win/Win that both teams would do again.

If Vrana doesn't work out in Detroit, Yzerman can still get a mid first round pick for him. I would have been ok with Mantha for two firsts.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Think Detroit got better value, do not think this improves the Caps all that much. Perhaps slight increase in goals, 5-10.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I do not know about what most Washington fans *thought* about Burakovsky, but I remember most of the posts were of the "good riddance to bad rubbish" variety.

That definitely was not the consensus. Burakovsky scored two huge goals in the conference finals game 7 that helped the Caps win a stanley cup. Moments like that go a long way.

Burakovsky was really a cap casualty in Washington. He was a talented player and the Caps essentially had to make a choice to retain him or Vrana - two very similar players. Neither is going to PK or play much defense. Both can skate, have wicked wristers, and are talented offensive wingers. IIRC Vrana was the cheaper option mostly due to being younger. So the Caps chose to keep Vrana.

Burakovsky wasn't discarded. They simply couldn't afford him.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I am jealous of Washington they were able to pull off that deal. To find a 6'5 230 pound forward with his skillset, age, and contract status, to add before the playoffs. If I am investing assets, those are the types of moves I would be looking for, he can continue to be a core player for that team rather then spending assets on aging, over the hill rentals. Not a lot of those types are usually available at the deadline. Good job Washington.
They chose a certain path to follow and they think they can win with size. Pittsburgh will try ans win with speed and finesse. NYI will playbthe D game and Boston a small combination of all the above . Now if only the playoffs would start

Reactions: GoCaps2004

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Think Detroit got better value, do not think this improves the Caps all that much. Perhaps slight increase in goals, 5-10.

When you consider the middle of the lineup player they will be able to keep now that they would have lost to the salary cap had they kept Vrana, they look better. Come playoffs in their division the big body of Mantha is going to hold up better style of play wise than Vrana has. Lastly Mantha can shoot the one timer than Vrana cant which will be used against teams that use an isolation of Ovechkin on their PK. Opposing PKs dared Vrana to beat them and he couldnt

SeaChaser

Mar 10, 2021
Tampa
IMO Mantha will be an be a good fit for the Caps.

As for who got the better end of the deal, SY did. The man built the Bolts, trained JBB. Hated to see him move on from Tampa. But in the long run, hockey needs a SY to rebuild another team. Like it or not, the Wingers will be a force in 3-4 years, maybe sooner.

Reactions: jjnhl68 and lilidk

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Are people so sure its Panik's cap space alone is worth a 2nd? its not exactly a huge contract for what is an ok depth player.
If the salary cap was increasing as it had been pre covid, then Panik's 2.75 million cap hit wouldn't have mattered as much and wouldn't have been too hard to offload or just hold onto. But given that Ovi's contract is up after this year and the salary cap is remaining flat over the next few years, yes taking on his cap hit alone is worth a second round pick.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
IMO Mantha will be an be a good fit for the Caps.

As for who got the better end of the deal, SY did. The man built the Bolts, trained JBB. Hated to see him move on from Tampa. But in the long run, hockey needs a SY to rebuild another team. Like it or not, the Wingers will be a force in 3-4 years, maybe sooner.

I am fine with a trade helping both teams. I think it pays here to let this one play out a bit before going all Yzerman is God.

Reactions: Leksand

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
That definitely was not the consensus. Burakovsky scored two huge goals in the conference finals game 7 that helped the Caps win a stanley cup. Moments like that go a long way.

Burakovsky was really a cap casualty in Washington. He was a talented player and the Caps essentially had to make a choice to retain him or Vrana - two very similar players. Neither is going to PK or play much defense. Both can skate, have wicked wristers, and are talented offensive wingers. IIRC Vrana was the cheaper option mostly due to being younger. So the Caps chose to keep Vrana.

Burakovsky wasn't discarded. They simply couldn't afford him.

Yes, I realize that Burakovsky naysayers weren't speaking for all Caps fans, it's just that they shouted the loudest at the time. For first few months of Burakovsky's time in Colorado they also kept telling Avs fans to just wait and that he will fade.

In any case, I am not sure saying that he was a cap casualty is quite correct. He did sign in Colorado for less than Vrana did in Washington. The Caps also have found the cap space for D additions in Dillon and Schultz. However, I agree that they had to choose between Bura and Vrana as their top6 winger going forward, and by then they have given up on Bura being a good fit in that role. It's a little funny that 2 years later Caps have also given up on their initial choice, Vrana, being a good fit. For what it's worth, I do think Mantha is a better fit in Washington than either Bura or Vrana.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Yes, I realize that Burakovsky naysayers weren't speaking for all Caps fans, it's just that they shouted the loudest at the time. For first few months of Burakovsky's time in Colorado they also kept telling Avs fans to just wait and that he will fade.

In any case, I am not sure saying that he was a cap casualty is quite correct. He did sign in Colorado for less than Vrana did in Washington. The Caps also have found the cap space for D additions in Dillon and Schultz. However, I agree that they had to choose between Bura and Vrana as their top6 winger going forward, and by then they have given up on Bura being a good fit in that role. It's a little funny that 2 years later Caps have also given up on their initial choice, Vrana, being a good fit. For what it's worth, I do think Mantha is a better fit in Washington than either Bura or Vrana.

I mean yeah, they didn't absolutely have to let Bura go, but relative to the roles they had available, they had to retain some cap space for other needs. Maybe cap casualty is too strong, but the cap seems to have played a large role in the decision. Every cup winner is going to try and keep the team together. The Caps weren't able to do that.

Agree - I like Mantha a lot for the Caps.

Last edited:

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
After watching how Mantha seems to fit in with the caps this deal may not be as bad as some people thought, me included. He did not look out of place or like he was just acquired. He played extremely well and fit in great. With a flat cap moving Panik would not be easy so you needed to pay for a team to take all of his contract. I guess that was a late first in this case.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
If Vrana doesn't work out in Detroit, Yzerman can still get a mid first round pick for him. I would have been ok with Mantha for two firsts.
If Vrana sucks in Detroit, he won't be getting a mid 1st pick, facr the guy had ONE good year playing for a powerhouse won't net you a mid 1st rounder

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
After watching how Mantha seems to fit in with the caps this deal may not be as bad as some people thought, me included. He did not look out of place or like he was just acquired. He played extremely well and fit in great. With a flat cap moving Panik would not be easy so you needed to pay for a team to take all of his contract. I guess that was a late first in this case.

The advantages for the Caps were not as obvious as for the Red Wings and the Wings situation might be a bit overrated.
Opposing teams have finally and effectively closed off Ov's office by putting a man on him. They use the other 3 players to deny Oshie and take Carlson's shooting lanes. They give the Caps on the right wing side their entire half of the ice. Vrana couldnt do anything with it. Mantha appears to have a legit one timer.

Mantha is cost certain with his contract Vrana was going to arbitration and would have likely cost the Caps a roster player to fit under the cap.

On the Wings side, Vrana hasnt gotten along with 3 straight coaching staffs and with COVID this draft is going to be a real crap shoot. Vrana doesnt strike me as an Yzerman style player. We will see.

Reactions: Unspecified

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If Vrana sucks in Detroit, he won't be getting a mid 1st pick, facr the guy had ONE good year playing for a powerhouse won't net you a mid 1st rounder

Vrana had 24 goals two years ago, would've had 30 last year, and is still sporting a 20 goal pace this year. That nets you a mid 1st. Mantua is having a terrible year and look what he netted.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
It's been 1 game. There are players who score at beginning and get no pts after.

I'm not basing it on the first game. I liked Mantha before the first game.

But that was based on his productivity from last season and I am hoping he can replicate that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad