Confirmed Trade: [WSH/DET] Anthony Mantha for Jakub Vrana, Richard Panik, 2021 1st, and 2022 2nd

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't know why it's controversial for someone to both think that Mantha is a great fit in WSH and that they overpaid. It was the trade deadline. That's how it goes. It is what it is. Win and it doesn't matter. Lose and it probably doesn't matter all that much anyways.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If Tatar was worth a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd with the same contract, like 70% the production, and at 7” smaller, how is Vrana and a 1st overpaying for Mantha, assuming Vrana is worth a 1st like 10-15

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
of course they win the trade short term, but lose big time long term. The fact is they still overpaid.

If they win the cup then it was worth it. Plus they have him for some time as it wasn't a rental. So some positive things from it. They clearly gave up a ton but they also were making cap moves so it's a bigger deal but I also don't see this completely as their big move to win the cup. More so to help with cap going forward and getting a guy in the process who can fit into their roster and make an impact.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If they win the cup then it was worth it. Plus they have him for some time as it wasn't a rental. So some positive things from it. They clearly gave up a ton but they also were making cap moves so it's a bigger deal but I also don't see this as their big move to win the cup. More so to help with cap going forward and getting a guy in the process who can fit into their roster and make an impact.

they will not win the Cup

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Caps still have Lapierre, McMichael, Protas, Alexeyev and Fehervary in their system while getting Mantha. Sure it was an overpayment at the DL but hardly a trade that sinks this team. Mantha on the Caps will be a very good player for a long time. Vrana will become a goal scoring star player on the Wings when the rebuild is finished and all is said and done. I see this as a win-win.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Caps still have Lapierre, McMichael, Protas, Alexeyev and Fehervary in their system while getting Mantha. Sure it was an overpayment at the DL but hardly a trade that sinks this team. Mantha on the Caps will be a very good player for a long time. Vrana will become a goal scoring star player on the Wings when the rebuild is finished and all is said and done. I see this as a win-win.

Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Yzerman move Vrana next year or the year after, either.

Long term he's probably #4 at best in Detroit's depth chart for wingers. It's one of two positions they're really set at.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If the Caps win a Cup this year, can we shut up and say it wasn't an overpay?

It's clear BOTH teams got what they wanted out of this deal already.
How do we know the Caps got what they wanted? What if Mantha fails in the playoffs? Wouldn't be the first time he went on a hot streak like this

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
How do we know the Caps got what they wanted? What if Mantha fails in the playoffs? Wouldn't be the first time he went on a hot streak like this

They wanted an impact player now and that's what he is, even if his production falls off a bit. Their window is open now and Mantha can definitely rebound.

That's like me saying "How can we know Detroit got what they wanted? those picks could all be garbage"

All we can look at it as is its face value...and at a base level, they both got what they wanted.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They wanted an impact player now and that's what he is, even if his production falls off a bit. Their window is open now and Mantha can definitely rebound.

That's like me saying "How can we know Detroit got what they wanted? those picks could all be garbage"

All we can look at it as is its face value...and at a base level, they both got what they wanted.
Detroit wanted value and a picks, they got both.

Washington wanted a Cup, remains to be seen how he contributes to that

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
they will not win the Cup

They have a well balanced line up. I sure wouldn't bet against them. I'm sure plenty said 2018 would be another year of disappointment for them but they prevailed. Ovi isn't getting any younger and some other key players as well. Might be their best shot going forward and I wouldn't be surprised if they were a handful in the playoffs when things matter.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Detroit wanted value and a picks, they got both.

Washington wanted a Cup, remains to be seen how he contributes to that
Lol so it remains to be seen if Washington got value but Detroit def did even if Vrana doesn’t score ever again and both those picks never make it to the NHL?

By your “Detroit got what they wanted because they got a player and picks” logic then every team ever has won their trade since they literally are getting what they want when agreeing to it. Pretty sure no team ever had two kids show up in a trench coat designed to look like a player and thought “wait a minute, this isn’t what I agreed to trade for!”

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Lol so it remains to be seen if Washington got value but Detroit def did even if Vrana doesn’t score ever again and both those picks never make it to the NHL?

By your “Detroit got what they wanted because they got a player and picks” logic then every team ever has won their trade since they literally are getting what they want when agreeing to it. Pretty sure no team ever had two kids show up in a trench coat designed to look like a player and thought “wait a minute, this isn’t what I agreed to trade for!”
No because at face value, Washington clearly overpaid here. If Mantha fails and they dont win a cup, it was a waste for Washington

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Vrana isn't a pending UFA, he's a pending RFA and not a UFA until I think the 2023 off-season. Mantha only has 1 year of control over Vrana right now.
Meant to say RFA, must have autocorrected. Point still stands though. Don't have to negotiate a deal with Mantha. Plus they might like his game more too.

Probably an overpayment but I don't think it's as big as most are saying

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
of course they win the trade short term, but lose big time long term. The fact is they still overpaid.
I'm glad you can be so sure about something that has yet to happen, but you need to look up the definition of 'fact' in the dictionary because you clearly don't understand what it means.

If Mantha outperforms Vrana, then the Wings are gonna have to hit on those picks to win the trade. They also took on a two year cap dump, so factor that in too. Let's at least wait until the end of this season to declare a winner or loser.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Well let me tell you...

that was an overpayment for Tatar at the time, so by that logic Mantha is also an overpayment.
If whether it’s overpayment isn’t impacted by how the picks pan out, what Mantha does on the Caps, or if they win a Cup, then comparables of guys traded with term at the deadline should define what is a fair price, and since I can’t think of anyone coming off .88 ppg and a 10+ relative Corsi Tatar was the best I could come up with.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm glad you can be so sure about something that has yet to happen, but you need to look up the definition of 'fact' in the dictionary because you clearly don't understand what it means.

If Mantha outperforms Vrana, then the Wings are gonna have to hit on those picks to win the trade. They also took on a two year cap dump, so factor that in too. Let's at least wait until the end of this season to declare a winner or loser.

While cap dumps do matter, that's pretty much a no lose situation for Detroit.

Even with Panik on the roster, they have $32M committed next year.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
While cap dumps do matter, that's pretty much a no lose situation for Detroit.

Even with Panik on the roster, they have $32M committed next year.
Detroit can’t lose this trade is a more defendable position than Washington can’t win it [not directed at you]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad