Confirmed Trade: [WSH/DET] Anthony Mantha for Jakub Vrana, Richard Panik, 2021 1st, and 2022 2nd

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Are people so sure its Panik's cap space alone is worth a 2nd? its not exactly a huge contract for what is an ok depth player.

Pretty sure it was Pierre Lebrun who said the trade should be looked as panik+1st for cap space and Vrana+2nd for Mantha.

Not only is Panik the caps lowest scorer(tied with Chara), he doesn't kill penalties and he's got the worst +/- on the team. He also makes 1.5mil more than Sprong. He's basically paid triple what he should be.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I dont get the league rules here. Mantha played 3 days ago in Detroit, whys he allowed to play tonight? I've seen other trades even in states to states have players need to quarantine, even guys driving to keep that time lower but all those I've seen still be a 7 day gap.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I dont get the league rules here. Mantha played 3 days ago in Detroit, whys he allowed to play tonight? I've seen other trades even in states to states have players need to quarantine, even guys driving to keep that time lower but all those I've seen still be a 7 day gap.
Maybe he's been vaccinated. Maybe since he was playing in the NHL following guidelines, and not crossing a country's boarder, he was allowed to play right away. Roslovic was in Columbus when he was traded and I believe he played a couple days later. Was at the facility the next day or 2 days later practicing with the team.

He drove from Carolina to DC the moment he was traded.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I think I’ve seen some smaller tho I can’t name them off top of my head. He’s traveling through USA so many places are way less strict. The 1-2 week thing this season was mainly Canada

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I think Burakovsky genuinely just needed a change of scenery and more opportunity. Not that Vrana didn’t at this point, but I don’t think many fans questioned Bura’s compete level. It seemed much more mental with him. Vrana’s problem right now is his lack of compete level and then the frustration with his lack of ice time has become increasingly apparent as well.

Vrana’s talent is unreal. He can absolutely f***ing fly. His shot is unbelievable as well. His analytics are really strong too. I’ve been a huge fan of his and I still am. I’m going to miss seeing him in a Caps sweater. But it had been increasingly frustrating watching him go through the motions this season and how soft he was on pucks and on the forecheck. He’s never going to be a bruiser, but if he doesn’t compete at a higher level, he’s not going to be trusted by many coaches in the league to get the ice time that his talent indicates he should. And it hasn’t just been Lavi being a defensive coach or a hardo. Todd Reirden was a truly terrible coach that had the Caps defensive structure looking worse than a shinny team, and even he didn’t trust Vrana with more ice time.

Mantha’s not perfect either and seemingly has similar issues but I genuinely have not seen a player with such questionable compete level or look so disinterested in battling for pucks like Vrana. I really hope he figures it out because he seems like a great guy and his teammates love him, as did the fans. I’m not trying to bash him either but his attitude was becoming a problem as was his play, so it’s probably good that the Caps traded him before his value plummeted (even if they did overpay).

I do not know about what most Washington fans *thought* about Burakovsky, but I remember most of the posts were of the "good riddance to bad rubbish" variety. I suppose it only makes sense that the nay sayers come out to pat each other on the back, since a trade may appear to be a validation of their assessment. Wings fans re:Mantha are no exception I think. From what I recall, the complaints about Burakovsky were mostly about how ineffective his game was, not his unwillingness to try.

As for Vrana, I am a bit more concerned about him than I was about Burakovsky because his game seems to be less varied. He is deadly off the rush, but he just doesn't seem to know what to do in other situations. Sort of Kessel - lite perhaps? Just off of my limited viewings of him. Looking forward to seeing him on Detroit, fingers crossed he can do what Burakovsky did and blossom with the Wings.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
I do not know about what most Washington fans *thought* about Burakovsky, but I remember most of the posts were of the "good riddance to bad rubbish" variety. I suppose it only makes sense that the nay sayers come out to pat each other on the back, since a trade may appear to be a validation of their assessment. Wings fans re:Mantha are no exception I think. From what I recall, the complaints about Burakovsky were mostly about how ineffective his game was, not his unwillingness to try.

As for Vrana, I am a bit more concerned about him than I was about Burakovsky because his game seems to be less varied. He is deadly off the rush, but he just doesn't seem to know what to do in other situations. Sort of Kessel - lite perhaps? Just off of my limited viewings of him. Looking forward to seeing him on Detroit, fingers crossed he can do what Burakovsky did and blossom with the Wings.

Yeah it was goood for the Caps to move on from him. He had lost his top 6 role had zero confidence and wasnt doing well in a top 9 role. All Caps fan saw the potential in him, but it was quite clear he would not get his breakthrough on the Caps rooster anytime soon and the Caps didnt have time to wait for him.

Just like Vrana now. He has some really nice tools, but his overall game isnt what the Caps need right now and they dont have time to wait for him to put it together. He could definetely do so and become a really really good player, but it did not look like he would do it on the Caps anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokin krak koken

Jleftwing97

Jun 26, 2007
Colorado

Yeah, other Caps fans opinion on Burakovsky was totally unwarranted at the time. He wasn't really given a chance in Washington. Good on him for betting on himself and requesting a trade and now is in Colorado making a name for himself. Vrana on the other hand, while very talented he doesn't fit into their WSH scheme. I've seen Mantha play and I always thought highly of him and thought that he's definitely a better player than Vrana. So I was amped when GMBM traded for him and I thought it was a fair trade. Caps got to clear cap space and personnel and DRW get to progress with their rebuild Besides cap space for picks is now the norm, we all have to get used to it

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Literally no one knows what's a weak or strong draft before one even happens :laugh: Nevermind that some players have narely even played this year so you dont know how they developed
Not always true. 2015 was touted as a year with 20 players who could be top 5 any other year. And thus far that prediction has come true.

Players like Kyle Connor and barzal were listed to go 10 to 20 but were touted as top 5 had they been drafted in the previous 4 years. Thus far their play has been top 3 worthy most other years

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
As much as iam NOT a caps fan this was a great bold move. They had to keep pace with the other teams in east and they did. I think most woukd agrue Mantha brings more to the table than Jeff Carter or Taylor hall at this point

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Maybe he's been vaccinated. Maybe since he was playing in the NHL following guidelines, and not crossing a country's boarder, he was allowed to play right away. .

There's a good chance he was vaccinated. Here's the link.
Glad to see him get points last night, I wish him all the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezekial

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Actually I see more prime Todd Bertuzzi. Big, can skate, tough, skilled, hard as hell to play against (when engaged and interested) and puts up points. Mantha is a seriously good player, who will even look better on a much better team.

Honestly I think he is a slightly angrier Rick Nash, and you don't want him fighting because he has been injured like 4 out of his last 6 fights. Mantha is a big body but outside of fighting he isn't especially physical. He's more of a sniper than anything. Not that he can't cycle/ won't take the body to make a play, but he isn't going to lay anyone out or get into really nasty board battles. Bert and even Penner were more PF kind of guys to me. Mantha is more of a late stage Shanny (post back injury) or Rick Nash kind of guy.

Its one of the reasons people always want more from him. If he engaged more he could completely dominate, but he has only ever shown that in small 10 game stretches. He could be a playoff monster if he can sustain it for a bit longer.

Reactions: Silky mitts

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The Todd Bertuzzi/Anthony Mantha comparisons are not good. Bertuzzi was an extremely gifted offensive player. Put John Leclair's brain in Todd Bertuzzi's body, and you'd have an all time great winger. Mantha's skills are not in that class, and he will never be as disappointing as Bertuzzi was.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
The Todd Bertuzzi/Anthony Mantha comparisons are not good. Bertuzzi was an extremely gifted offensive player. Put John Leclair's brain in Todd Bertuzzi's body, and you'd have an all time great winger. Mantha's skills are not in that class, and he will never be as disappointing as Bertuzzi was.

Mantha is way more skilled than Todd ever was... he just has no interest in being the best night in and night out.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am jealous of Washington they were able to pull off that deal. To find a 6'5 230 pound forward with his skillset, age, and contract status, to add before the playoffs. If I am investing assets, those are the types of moves I would be looking for, he can continue to be a core player for that team rather then spending assets on aging, over the hill rentals. Not a lot of those types are usually available at the deadline. Good job Washington.

Last edited:

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Yeah, other Caps fans opinion on Burakovsky was totally unwarranted at the time. He wasn't really given a chance in Washington. Good on him for betting on himself and requesting a trade and now is in Colorado making a name for himself. Vrana on the other hand, while very talented he doesn't fit into their WSH scheme. I've seen Mantha play and I always thought highly of him and thought that he's definitely a better player than Vrana. So I was amped when GMBM traded for him and I thought it was a fair trade. Caps got to clear cap space and personnel and DRW get to progress with their rebuild Besides cap space for picks is now the norm, we all have to get used to it
I am very happy to Burakovsky finding success but this is nowhere close to the truth. He had SO many chances.

Reactions: Smokin krak koken

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad