Confirmed Trade: [WSH/DET] Anthony Mantha for Jakub Vrana, Richard Panik, 2021 1st, and 2022 2nd

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
They can definitely lose having to pay him, but that's not something fans really give a shit about haha.
Panik is a guy who’s value was really stepped on with the flat cap, he was their 8th F last year

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm glad you can be so sure about something that has yet to happen, but you need to look up the definition of 'fact' in the dictionary because you clearly don't understand what it means.

If Mantha outperforms Vrana, then the Wings are gonna have to hit on those picks to win the trade. They also took on a two year cap dump, so factor that in too. Let's at least wait until the end of this season to declare a winner or loser.
Vrana doesn’t have to outperform Mantha. He only had to outperform what Mantha was doing the last couple of years for the Red Wings. It won’t be hard to match it. So if he does mildy better than the mediocre work that Mantha had been doing before the trade, then the Red Wings upgraded their offense while adding two high picks, and also added a guy who actually probably improved their bottom 6 as well. Panik doesn’t hurt the Wings at all.

Both teams got something good here, and the Red Wings certainly are unlikely to “lose”. Mantha wasn’t playing well for them and they turned him into good things.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
As a Caps fan there's no doubt that the Caps gave up a lot in this trade and if you are going on quantity rather than quality, then the Red Wings are the clear winners at this moment. That's the short term or immediate view of the trade. It may take some time to see the long term impact of the trade.

Case in point.

The same was said about the Caps (George McPhee's) trade with the Predators back in April '13 when they sent Forsberg to the Preds for Erat. Clearly at the time the Preds were the winners of the trade. However for the Caps the rippling impact of that trade along with the overall team's performance resulted in the firing of Caps GM George McPhee and HC Adam Oates after the following season in 2014. The Capitals subsequently hired Brian MacLellan as General Manager and Barry Trotz, the former Predators HC. After the 2015 season, MacLellan realized that the lost of Forsberg left the Capitals in need of a top 6 RW, so he traded Troy Brouwer + to the Blues for TJ Oshie. To say Oshie has been a great addition to the Capitals would be an understatement. Oshie played a significant role in the Caps winning the Stanley Cup in 2018. So though the Caps definitely lost the short term portion of the Forsberg trade, the long term side of the trade indirectly led to the Capitals winning a Stanley Cup and the last time I looked neither the Predators or Forsberg have won a Stanley Cup.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
As a Caps fan there's no doubt that the Caps gave up a lot in this trade and if you are going on quantity rather than quality, then the Red Wings are the clear winners at this moment. That's the short term or immediate view of the trade. It may take some time to see the long term impact of the trade.

Case in point.

The same was said about the Caps (George McPhee's) trade with the Predators back in April '13 when they sent Forsberg to the Preds for Erat. Clearly at the time the Preds were the winners of the trade. However for the Caps the rippling impact of that trade along with the overall team's performance resulted in the firing of Caps GM George McPhee and HC Adam Oates after the following season in 2014. The Capitals subsequently hired Brian MacLellan as General Manager and Barry Trotz, the former Predators HC. After the 2015 season, MacLellan realized that the lost of Forsberg left the Capitals in need of a top 6 RW, so he traded Troy Brouwer + to the Blues for TJ Oshie. To say Oshie has been a great addition to the Capitals would be an understatement. Oshie played a significant role in the Caps winning the Stanley Cup in 2018. So though the Caps definitely lost the short term portion of the Forsberg trade, the long term side of the trade indirectly led to the Capitals winning a Stanley Cup and the last time I looked neither the Predators or Forsberg have won a Stanley Cup.

Correlation isn't causation. You can't justify a really bad trade by saying "We ended up winning a trade almost half a decade later." Forsberg for Erat had nothing to do with all that. It was a very bad trade and the org made some good moves to overcome it. Who's to say they don't win a couple Cups by not dealing away Filip Forsberg?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Vrana doesn’t have to outperform Mantha. He only had to outperform what Mantha was doing the last couple of years for the Red Wings. It won’t be hard to match it. So if he does mildy better than the mediocre work that Mantha had been doing before the trade, then the Red Wings upgraded their offense while adding two high picks, and also added a guy who actually probably improved their bottom 6 as well. Panik doesn’t hurt the Wings at all.

Both teams got something good here, and the Red Wings certainly are unlikely to “lose”. Mantha wasn’t playing well for them and they turned him into good things.

Mantha played poorly this season...

In the previous couple he missed some time with injury, though he still had first line metrics and was near a ppg player when healthy. Mantha is a good player, he should be a good player in Washington. They downgraded in talent for more assets, we have to hope they can make those hit as Wings fans now.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

Case in point.

I can't wait to read the butterfly effects of Jim Benning not trading Hamhuis leading to the Canucks winning the cup in 2026 under completely different management.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
It’s nights like this that have me shocked the Caps moved Vrana in this deal. Am I saying he’s gonna be a goal scoring phenom now? No. However I think Washington gave up on him too early.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Reminds me of that time McPhee played the long game and dealt Forsberg to the Preds for Erat + in order to get paid vacation until he could become the GM in Vegas.

Guess this means there’s another expansion team coming for McLellan

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Puck Tiss

Nov 4, 2013
Reminds me of that time McPhee played the long game and dealt Forsberg to the Preds for Erat + in order to get paid vacation until he could become the GM in Vegas.

Guess this means there’s another expansion team coming for McLellan
Not at all. Mantha is locked up for 3 more years on a decent contract and doing pretty well in Washington himself. I think both teams got their desired outcomes in this trade, so far, at least.

Reactions: BStinson and abo9

Kuz

May 11, 2015
They have played 4 and 5 games. The sample sizes are really small. Both have a good start with their teams. So right now it looks like both might have got what they wanted.

Its not like any of them have done something they havent done in Detroit or Washington before the trade (Vrana didnt have a 4 goal game before, but he have had stretches with 5 goals and 2 assist in 4 games and 6G and 3A in 5 games). So we know both can put up points. The question is if they can put up points consistently season after season.

Reactions: GoCaps2004 and njx9

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
It’s nights like this that have me shocked the Caps moved Vrana in this deal. Am I saying he’s gonna be a goal scoring phenom now? No. However I think Washington gave up on him too early.
vrana will amaze you and then disapear for 10 games. Im sure mantha does it too (did not follow him before) but vrana will frustrate you. So much talent.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Sure didn't get that feeling from Yzermans press conference, He pretty much said that Vrana is Mantha's replacement. Vrana should be in Detroit what we hoped Mantha would be at least a 30/30 scorer.

He also tagged Mantha as a core member of the team in interview after interview.

Long term, Vrana likely slots behind Raymond, Zadina, and Bert. And then the jury is still out on how good Berggren will be.

Reactions: Silky mitts

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
vrana will amaze you and then disapear for 10 games. Im sure mantha does it too (did not follow him before) but vrana will frustrate you. So much talent.

Exactly what Wings fans say about Mantha. Hopefully the trade will light a fire under both of their asses to stop the disappearing acts.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He also tagged Mantha as a core member of the team in interview after interview.

Long term, Vrana likely slots behind Raymond, Zadina, and Bert. And then the jury is still out on how good Berggren will be.

I think Berggren ends up pushing Bertuzzi down the lineup eventually. The kid is just so talented that I can't imagine him in a 3rd line role past his rookie season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Mantha is pretty much the same. He'll channel 2002 Todd Bertuzzi energy for one or two games and then channel 2012 Todd Bertuzzi energy for the next 8-10 games. It's frustrating. But if Vrana plays much the same then Yzerman probably moves him at some point as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad