WSH, CBJ, or NYR? What if..

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
This is the most "eastern conference" thread I've ever seen. None of these teams scare anyone in the West.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
All three are mediocre at best with Rags Having the slight King advantage. In a few months one or all 3 could fall out of playoff picture completely with a couple injuries. Right now I would say #1 seed (assuming Pens) would like to play the Rags the least. There are only 3 maybe 4 proven playoff guys among all 3 teams but its hockey and anything happens.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
ridiculous that florda is not included but COLUMBUS are. they're at 13th place right now, sheesh :shakehead

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
In my opinion, Pittsburg and Islanders will lose the playoffs series against both NYR or the Caps, people still don't appreciate how well NYR and the Caps can play that playoff style

hockey, rolling 4 lines, grinding down low, solid defense, good gap control and very good goaltending.. Rangers run last season wasn't a fluke, I think as season progresses people would

agree more with what I am saying today

AHB*

The Caps have faced the Rangers 3 times in the Postseason in recent years and won one in 7 games, one in 5 games and lost the most recent in 7 games. Now I'll agree when Hank is on he can win a series for the Rangers, but Holtby is no slouch. Bobrovsky's postseason record is 9 starts, 13 gp/ 2W and 6 losses with a .890 s% and 3.49 gaa. Hardly stellar numbers.

Holtby while also not having a fabulous w/l playoff record with 10-11 he has managed to maintain a pretty respectable sv% .931 and gaa of 2.04. I think people who are discounting the Caps as a formidable postseason opponent are wrong. If Korn can continue to develop Holtbys game and the Caps commit to a defensive style they could be very hard to beat in 7.

Time will tell.

Henrik just went to the finals. He is arguably the best goalie in the world, even though he's slumping right now, a little.

I'm sorry, but there's just absolutely no way you can convince me that a 5 time vezina nominee, one time MVP nominee, one time Vezina winner, Olympic Gold & Silver Medal Winner and Stanley cup Finalist last year is going to be less feared then Braden Holtby. This is the first good year he's had. Also, we're talking about a guy in the midst of his prime, not Brodeur who acquired the majority of his accolades a decade ago. This is a guy who's still generally at the top of his game.

I am somewhat biased, but I just don't see how anyone outside of being a Caps fan could argue this.

You also conveniently left out how Hank shutout the caps in back to back games to win the Rangers the series in their fourth meeting over the past decade.

For someone who's seen Lundqvist single handedly win the Rangers a series, I'd assume you'd have slightly more respect for how good he is.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Henrik just went to the finals. He is arguably the best goalie in the world, even though he's slumping right now, a little.

I'm sorry, but there's just absolutely no way you can convince me that a 5 time vezina nominee, one time MVP nominee, one time Vezina winner, Olympic Gold & Silver Medal Winner and Stanley cup Finalist last year is going to be less feared then Braden Holtby. This is the first good year he's had. Also, we're talking about a guy in the midst of his prime, not Brodeur who acquired the majority of his accolades a decade ago. This is a guy who's still generally at the top of his game.

I am somewhat biased, but I just don't see how anyone outside of being a Caps fan could argue this.

You also conveniently left out how Hank shutout the caps in back to back games to win the Rangers the series in their fourth meeting over the past decade.

For someone who's seen Lundqvist single handedly win the Rangers a series, I'd assume you'd have slightly more respect for how good he is.

I'm a Caps fan, I don't see how many who are or aren't a Caps fan could argue this, few may try and claim otherwise. My OP specifically states the Rangers are ALWAYS dangerous with Lundy.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

I don't know that anyone is saying that Holtby is better than Lundqvist or that he would be more feared. If they are, then they are wrong. I think some Caps fans are tired of Holtby being underrated by other teams fans as well as other Caps fans and defend him a little too vehemently. It is possible for Holtby to outplay Lundqvist however, especially over a small sample size with different teams playing in front of and against them. Young Caps goalies have in the past.

This is also not Holtby's first good year. He has played well over the last three years that he has started. Notwithstanding last year on the PK.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Is Florida in the running for 3rd place in the Metro division? If anyone has a gripe, its Philly and New Jersey.

i asked if this was a metro thing and didn't get an answer so i thought it was just like, "3 teams competing for the last playoff-spot" kinda, which is why i thought it was weird florida wasn't included.

The blue jackets are better, check out their injury list of you don't think so. Regardless of their standing position, didn't you read my original post?

acually no i didn't do it so thoroughly, my bad.

No, we were mad we went to a shoot out to begin with. If you look at the gdt before the game starts we all prepare for a snooze fest against Florida and New Jersey.

must have sucked a bunch that we managed to beat you then.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it would be good for everyone if the caps and rangers didn't play in the playoffs again. at present if both made the playoffs it seems unlikely to happen anyway.

however, as a caps fan I am not sure why ranger fans would think the caps would feel defeated out of the both. the caps and rangers have played 4 times and have split. did the caps lose either of their series in less than 7 games? I don't see were King has dominate and terrorized and otherwise left the caps and the fan base feeling outclassed and unworthy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't know that anyone is saying that Holtby is better than Lundqvist or that he would be more feared. If they are, then they are wrong. I think some Caps fans are tired of Holtby being underrated by other teams fans as well as other Caps fans and defend him a little too vehemently. It is possible for Holtby to outplay Lundqvist however, especially over a small sample size with different teams playing in front of and against them. Young Caps goalies have in the past.

This is also not Holtby's first good year. He has played well over the last three years that he has started. Notwithstanding last year on the PK.

also important to acknowledge. the caps often don't beat the rangers in playoff games or series because the caps goalie is better than lundqvist. the question is whether lundqvist is enough better than holtby to make up for how much better Ovechkin has been than Nash or the Caps power play than the Rangers pp.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
IF florida was in the playoffs and i had to choose a team i wouldn't want them to play against it has to be CBJ. the game we played them this season i couldn't understand how they were so low in the standings. they played VERY good dispite all the injuries.
i havn't watched rangers that much, just a game against the oilers and the minnesota game but i wasn't really as impressed as i was with CBJ. mabye cuz i had a little less expectations on CBJ, idk..
caps is good, sure but we've managed to shut them down. we're alot better now then in the beginning of the season and then we lost in a s/o.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
This is the most "eastern conference" thread I've ever seen. None of these teams scare anyone in the West.

Wait a second. A thread about 3 eastern conference teams, asking who would be the toughest matchup on the (eastern conference) playoffs, is "too eastern conference" for you?

"Oh look, a Wayne Gretzky biography. Ugh it's too Gretzky heavy for me. For the record, Patrick Roy was a great goalie."

-You, probably

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
IF florida was in the playoffs and i had to choose a team i wouldn't want them to play against it has to be CBJ. the game we played them this season i couldn't understand how they were so low in the standings. they played VERY good dispite all the injuries.
i havn't watched rangers that much, just a game against the oilers and the minnesota game but i wasn't really as impressed as i was with CBJ. mabye cuz i had a little less expectations on CBJ, idk..
caps is good, sure but we've managed to shut them down. we're alot better now then in the beginning of the season and then we lost in a s/o.

I honestly didn't care that we lost to florida, you guys have improved leaps and bounds. I just simply hate the shoot out and wished it was over before it began, little did i know it would go 20 rounds (painful for both sides imo) but awesome to watch as a fan of any team, just because.

I give you all the credit in the world for being a panthers fan, seriously. The away broadcast in the Florida barn is painful to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad