WSH, CBJ, or NYR? What if..

bhawks1399*

The Hawks and CBJ just had a real good game that went to like 6 rounds in a shootout I think. Either way the jackets won but it could have gone either way. But I realized how dangerous they are with injuries. I can't imagine them without the injuries. Scary. Least dangerous I would say the rangers. I think the blackhawks new and improved defense could handle rick Nash quite well. My only concern would be figuring out how to beat hank and that rangers defense, dang is that a sexy ass defensive setup on paper. The rangers pp against the hawks pk, not a problem

Burakovsky95*

The Hawks and CBJ just had a real good game that went to like 6 rounds in a shootout I think. Either way the jackets won but it could have gone either way. But I realized how dangerous they are with injuries. I can't imagine them without the injuries. Scary. Least dangerous I would say the rangers. I think the blackhawks new and improved defense could handle rick Nash quite well. My only concern would be figuring out how to beat hank and that rangers defense, dang is that a sexy ass defensive setup on paper. The rangers pp against the hawks pk, not a problem

I mean the Caps beat the Blackhawks in regulation...

bhawks1399*

I mean the Caps beat the Blackhawks in regulation...
I get that, but I feel like with how well the blackhawks defense and pk this year mixed with their hot sticks(especially from Kane) I think the hawks could handle the capitals in a seven game series. Also the jackets played quite well in the playoffs last year against a far superior team in pittsburg.
Take everything into account the blalckhawks are a playoff team, the Capitals arent a playoff team but they aren't bad in the playoffs. BTW I'm basing this off their playoff experiences in the past. Id say blackhawks win in 6 games over the caps

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
I get that, but I feel like with how well the blackhawks defense and pk this year mixed with their hot sticks(especially from Kane) I think the hawks could handle the capitals in a seven game series. Also the jackets played quite well in the playoffs last year against a far superior team in pittsburg.
Take everything into account the blalckhawks are a playoff team, the Capitals arent a playoff team but they aren't bad in the playoffs. BTW I'm basing this off their playoff experiences in the past. Id say blackhawks win in 6 games over the caps

Lol what? The standings would disagree

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Rangers for me. Nash looks like one of the best 4 or 5 players in the world right now - Stepan, MSL, Zucc, Brass all offer offense too . Like their blue line, playoff know-how and most of King Henrik.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
And the idea that Holtby isn't a strong goaltender continues. Right now, Holtby's #8, Lundquist is #11 and Bob is #15 in the goalie standings. Not saying that King Henrik isn't (as always) fantastic and Bob isn't truly great, but to say that Holts isn't in their league is just silly.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
And the idea that Holtby isn't a strong goaltender continues. Right now, Holtby's #8, Lundquist is #11 and Bob is #15 in the goalie standings. Not saying that King Henrik isn't (as always) fantastic and Bob isn't truly great, but to say that Holts isn't in their league is just silly.

He isn't, until he wins a Vezina.

He's playing well right now but I would take Lundqvist and Bob over him any day, especially in the playoffs.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
We're talking about right now and the possibility of playing these three teams with their goaltending right now and how these three goalies are playing RIGHT NOW. And, yes, right now, Holtby is not only in their league, he's ranking higher than them. I know that's hard to believe, but the stats speak for themselves.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Don't fear any of them tbh.

You might not, but seems like the Pens players fear the Rangers. Crushed in playoffs last year, lost 3 out of 4 against us this year, with the only win being that silly shootout game where everyone was brought back out. Yeah, we're in your heads. :laugh:

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
As a Leafs fan, I probably fear CBJ the most. They have such a balanced lineup and are absolutely loaded with talent up front. That team can wear you down if they're healthy.

Seems like we match up well with the Rangers because of our speed and their frequency of activating the D. I don't think Lundqvist has great numbers against us either, at least not in recent memory.

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
I would least want to play the rangers.
But only because of Lundquist.
They could have a team ahlers and as long as Henrik was there goalie is still pick them.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
There are a lot of things that can be said about Holtby but in his career, inconsistent in the playoff hasn't been one. He's been a beast when we've gotten there.

Holtby's "take off of the mask and have a drink" move is one of the most stylish we've seen.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
here's the funny thing. this thread is set up to discuss which of the potential final seed possibilities would a top seed want to play? what we end up with is a bunch of ranger, cbj and caps fans talking about themselves.

with the rangers fans saying the rangers are good and the caps suck. cbj fans saying the jackets are good and the caps suck and the caps fans saying they are both good and the caps suck. its hilarious. only the islander fan is wary of the caps.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
I've got a natural elimination on the list (being a Rangers fan, so obviously facing the Rangers is a nonfactor) but I'd fear CBJ over WAS.

Every time Dubinsky goes against us, he plays like he's going to die tomorrow. Bob is great. We've got a weakness defending good puckmoving pointmen. Marc Staal was literally bred to shut down Ovechkin.

I fear the Caps because that series will be 7 2-1 snoozers.

AHB*

We're talking about right now and the possibility of playing these three teams with their goaltending right now and how these three goalies are playing RIGHT NOW. And, yes, right now, Holtby is not only in their league, he's ranking higher than them. I know that's hard to believe, but the stats speak for themselves.

Let's be real here. You're talking about two proven goalies over a full year, including Lundqvist, who is a proven playoff performer.

I don't care if Lundqvist is 30th in the league in all categories, teams would still fear him far more than Holtby come playoff time.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
here's the funny thing. this thread is set up to discuss which of the potential final seed possibilities would a top seed want to play? what we end up with is a bunch of ranger, cbj and caps fans talking about themselves.

with the rangers fans saying the rangers are good and the caps suck. cbj fans saying the jackets are good and the caps suck and the caps fans saying they are both good and the caps suck. its hilarious. only the islander fan is wary of the caps.

nothing new eh :laugh:

CAPS LOCK

Aug 10, 2005
Let's be real here. You're talking about two proven goalies over a full year, including Lundqvist, who is a proven playoff performer.

I don't care if Lundqvist is 30th in the league in all categories, teams would still fear him far more than Holtby come playoff time.

The Caps have faced the Rangers 3 times in the Postseason in recent years and won one in 7 games, one in 5 games and lost the most recent in 7 games. Now I'll agree when Hank is on he can win a series for the Rangers, but Holtby is no slouch. Bobrovsky's postseason record is 9 starts, 13 gp/ 2W and 6 losses with a .890 s% and 3.49 gaa. Hardly stellar numbers.

Holtby while also not having a fabulous w/l playoff record with 10-11 he has managed to maintain a pretty respectable sv% .931 and gaa of 2.04. I think people who are discounting the Caps as a formidable postseason opponent are wrong. If Korn can continue to develop Holtbys game and the Caps commit to a defensive style they could be very hard to beat in 7.

Time will tell.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014

Caps had dominating 5:2 win against the Islanders very recently, this is probably why, on the other hand rangers are on 6 game winning streak so it is natural that many Rangers

fans feel they are unbeatable and will be in the SCF again...tonight should be a good game NYR vs Caps, and CBJ fans better hope that both Panthers and Toronto will collapse in the 2nd half of

the season and Boston continues to suck, because otherwise the Jackets will not even make the playoffs

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm biased as hell, but if there's one goalie in the league I wouldn't want to play against come April-June, it's Lundqvist. Proven year after year.

As a Rangers fan, I'd rather face CBJ. Nash is a man on a mission every time he plays those guys. More than enough to counteract Dubinsky's gamesmanship against the Rangers. McDonagh, Girardi, and Staal have shut down guys like Ovechkin, Crosby/Malkin, and Pacioretty in the playoffs. I'm sure they can handle Foligno and Johansen. Bob also didn't look too hot in the playoffs, but I'm sure that's a sample size issue that will correct itself over time. He's a great goalie.

We've seen enough of the Caps in the playoffs recently anyway, I'm over it ;)

Truth is, whichever one of these teams ends up in the #3 spot in the Metropolitan division, the #2 team is gonna have a tough series.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Caps had dominating 5:2 win against the Islanders very recently, this is probably why, on the other hand rangers are on 6 game winning streak so it is natural that many Rangers

fans feel they are unbeatable and will be in the SCF again...tonight should be a good game NYR vs Caps, and CBJ fans better hope that both Panthers and Toronto will collapse in the 2nd half of

the season and Boston continues to suck, because otherwise the Jackets will not even make the playoffs
Wouldn't put too much shock in that "dominating" win from the Caps vs Isles. The islanders had Johnson in net, and he hasn't been good. They were missing Boychuk and Visnovsky left mid game. The Isles beat the Caps the game before for their 5th straight. And the game you mention was on 11/28, not that recent.

I dont think the Caps would give the Isles too much trouble in the playoffs if Halak and the Isles are healthy.

Though the Isles have shown that they can beat both, I'm much more concerned about PIT and TB than WSH and COL.

Last edited:

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
The Caps have faced the Rangers 3 times in the Postseason in recent years and won one in 7 games, one in 5 games and lost the most recent in 7 games. Now I'll agree when Hank is on he can win a series for the Rangers, but Holtby is no slouch. Bobrovsky's postseason record is 9 starts, 13 gp/ 2W and 6 losses with a .890 s% and 3.49 gaa. Hardly stellar numbers.

Holtby while also not having a fabulous w/l playoff record with 10-11 he has managed to maintain a pretty respectable sv% .931 and gaa of 2.04. I think people who are discounting the Caps as a formidable postseason opponent are wrong. If Korn can continue to develop Holtbys game and the Caps commit to a defensive style they could be very hard to beat in 7.

Time will tell.

weve played 4 series in the past 6 years. caps won the 1st 2 and the rangers won the last 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad