WSH, CBJ, or NYR? What if..

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Actually, I don't even know why this is even being discussed. This is not a "lets revist wounds from past playoff years" thread.

This is why:

19sgmq.jpg

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Rangers are a fast team. Their transition game is dangerous. Last nights game was expected by a good amount of Caps fans. And I won't even get into the officiating... what an embarrassment.

Bad officiating at MSG, never.

Granted the Rangers have that advantage if it is Washington - NYR, officiating at MSG is an absolute joke. (See 2013 Playoffs)

This is why:

19sgmq.jpg

Caps fans retorting to blaming the refs to retract blame for their garbage team that hasn't made it to the 3rd round in forever.

Will bump when Caps are outta the playoff picture soon.

McPhee threw up a roster in the dumpster fire. They severely lack forward depth outside their 1st line, which was again shutout by McDonagh at ES. They have a big question mark in net. And while their defense has improved with the Niskanen acquisition, having guys like Green and Orpik playing top 4 always is a threat for the opposing team to get quality scoring chances.

Last edited:

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Caps fans retorting to blaming the refs to retract blame for their garbage team that hasn't made it to the 3rd round in forever.

McPhee threw up a roster in the dumpster fire. They severely lack forward depth outside their 1st line, which was again shutout by McDonagh at ES. They have a big question mark in net. And while their defense has improved with the Niskanen acquisition, having guys like Green and Orpik playing top 4 always is a threat for the opposing team to get quality scoring chances.

There's so many comments that you just made that point out you have no idea what you're talking about :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Interesting .gif there. Considering where Miller is when he does that, and who he does that too, seems clear you know 1st hand what a choke is when you see it. :laugh:

Having watched last nights game I was concerned the way the Caps were dominated threw the 1st 2 periods, even when taking in that it was the 2nd of a back to back, but then the 3rd period happened. Not concerned anymore. Besides The King who do they have? Nash? OK, but the guy is 30 and just now reaching his peak? I thought goal scorers peaked early and then trended down as they aged? Nash is the exception? I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong the NYR are a very good team, and The King is damn good, but that 3rd period showed me the Caps can more than hold their own against the NYR. Then factor in the players getting more comfortable with The Trotz as the year goes on? Should be pretty even between the two teams. Wild card is Holtby. Enough about potential. This is the year he either establishes himself as a bona fide #1 or not.

McDonagh?

Who do the Caps have besides Ovi and Backstrom?

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
As a Pens fan, while I would like our chances against all three, each would worry me for different reasons and would expect 6-7 games against each. The Caps seem to be coming into their own lately and always get fired up for the Pens (especially that #8 guy); Columbus matches up very well against the Pens but not quite well enough; and the Rangers have Lundqvist.

I'd have to go NYR as the team that would worry me most, followed very closely by the Caps and CBJ.

AHB*

So in the middle of the 3rd, with the Caps dominating play and coming within 1, you were certain the NYR were going to win? BS.

Certain, nope, but confident, yup. The Rangers are like 100-1-9 when leading after 2 periods or something crazy like that. The numbers are really insane. They always play close games like that and then always somehow pull them out.

And the "yea, no" was more in reference to his ridiculous coaching comment. AV was left with essentially the same personnel as torts had and brought that team to the finals in his first year. He is an absolutely fantastic coach. The biggest reason IMO the Rangers made the finals last year was because of the change in their system.

I realize people get really excited because their team goes on a good streak and then they're going nuts about how great the new coach is, but AV literally just brought the Rangers to the finals. How he can say Washington is better coached due to success over the first 3rd of a season is just nuts. Not to mention when the Rangers are "ahead" of them in the standings and only just started playing well.

Edit: Here's the actual numbers, so you can see why I'm not extremely worried. It's an insanely rare occurrence with the Rangers and this D Group (McD, Staal & Girardi).

New York has registered a 124-1-9 record in its last 134 regular season games when leading after two periods, dating back to the 2009-10 season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
AV has a 2 Presidents Trophies and 2 Conference Championships in the last 4 years. Outside of Sutter, Quenneville, and Julien, there's not a coach in the league that comes close to that.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Try talking out of your ass a little more. It's entertaining. And just so I can disregard your opinion completely, you think the officiating last night was fair? And in the 2013 play off series?

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
So it's the refs fault the Capitals scored ZERO goals in last 120 minutes of the 2013 series?

They wouldn't have had to play 120 minutes if the Caps got as many power plays as the Rangers did. It was a 1-0 game in which the Rangers got 5 PP compared to the Caps 0. When that happens, it's almost certainly a guaranteed win. I find it hard to believe the Rangers committed absolutely no penalties. The refs just didn't want the number one PP in the league to come out. It's not surprising really.

HOLDITHERE*

God, what happened to make Ranger fans so egotistical? Last years run? Seems like most of you guys were pretty pleasant when we knocked you out year after year, now it's an insult party.

Oh and, Nash is the worst 2nd basemen in hockey. See I can spew **** out of my ass too.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Try talking out of your ass a little more. It's entertaining. And just so I can disregard your opinion completely, you think the officiating last night was fair? And in the 2013 play off series?

Call on Ovi was terrible.

Rest were right. Even if Beagle didn't nail that swan dive.

You scored 1 PP goal on 5 attempts so what's your excuse for last night?

They wouldn't have had to play 120 minutes if the Caps got as many power plays as the Rangers did. It was a 1-0 game in which the Rangers got 5 PP compared to the Caps 0. When that happens, it's almost certainly a guaranteed win. I find it hard to believe the Rangers committed absolutely no penalties. The refs just didn't want the number one PP in the league to come out. It's not surprising really.

5 powerplays.

50 minutes of even strength time.

I don't think that game was reffed great, but Caps fans really love blaming everybody but their own players about their constant shortcomings.

God, what happened to make Ranger fans so egotistical? Last years run? Seems like most of you guys were pretty pleasant when we knocked you out year after year, now it's an insult party.

Oh and, Nash is the worst 2nd basemen in hockey. See I can spew **** out of my ass too.

Caps fans started incessantly whining like children about their lack of power plays every time they lost. It's to be expected when you have a team that's painfully average at even strength.

Not hard to figure it out really.

So in the middle of the 3rd, with the Caps dominating play and coming within 1, you were certain the NYR were going to win? BS.

Considering we almost always win when leading after two, yeah, we were quite confident.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Who's being egotistical? People are arguing against this idea that the Rangers only win because of the refs. Any fan of any team would argue a statement that takes all agency for their past success away from the team.

And the Caps eliminated the Rangers year after year? Weird. I don't remember that happening.

And the playoff threads with these two teams were bursting with insults every time the teams met in my recollection.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
As a Pens fan,

the Rangers are just a different class here (WSH & CBJ I consider pretty equal). The Rangers are really good and they are just tough to beat. For a multiple reasons actually (I agree with the point that was made by the Caps fans here). But yeah, they are just good, that´s the key here.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Maybe the Rangers didn't commit a penalty that night. Its like, possible. It's a thing. It has happened.

Maybe if the Caps weren't one-dimensional and completely dragged around by their powerplay, it wouldn't be a problem.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York

Calls other fans egotistical then proceeds to slip in a crappy trash talk shot at the rangers fans :laugh:

Did you half ass insult take note that the capitals 2 wins (not even back to back years) are also the same amount of times the rangers knocked your team out right after? (in back to back years, with a double shutout, in your own arena)

There's a difference between being egotistical and defending your team when people make moronic incoherent statements. Perhaps you should learn the difference.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
There's so many comments that you just made that point out you have no idea what you're talking about :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Elaborate please.

Of course the officiating was fair lol. Even more so in the 2013 playoffs.

Caps fans just love to blame the refs instead of their dumpster-fire team that isn't good at all.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Not sure what you would expect, actually. The Caps missed the playoffs last year and were knocked out 2 consecutive seasons by the Rangers the seasons before.

One team is pretty much on another level, simple as that.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Rangers fans egotistical? Lol. All we heard last year was about how we only beat the Habs due to Price's injury. Worst SC final team in forever.... Shouldn't have beaten the Pens.... Rangers were also a fluke in 2011-12 when they led the east in points....

Blaming the officiating for last night? lol. There was one garbage call, the Caps only tried for 20 minutes last night. Why don't you blame that instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad