HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Number of Playoff Series' won in the last five years:

CBJ - 0
WSH - 2
NYR - 6

RangersOwnNewYork*

I'm not sure how this became an insult fest. The Caps are a damn good team and played a fantastic 3rd period. I don't get the constant moaning about the officiating though. Aside from a very weak call against Ovi the others were legit. 7-5 in penalties called is not outrageous. The double minor and hand pass in the faceoff circle that killed the caps momentum late in the 3rd were no-brainer calls. What were the refs expected to do? They were ridiculously blatant infractions. NHL officiating is not the best and every fan base thinks they get the short end of the stick. Hell, the rangers were robbed of 2 goals this past week. There is no conspiracy here guys. If there was the rangers wouldn't be 28th in the league in PP chances.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Maybe the Rangers didn't commit a penalty that night. Its like, possible. It's a thing. It has happened.

Maybe if the Caps weren't one-dimensional and completely dragged around by their powerplay, it wouldn't be a problem.

Often overlooked about games 6+7 of that 2013 series is that season the Rangers were one of the most disciplined teams in the league. I believe they were at least bottom 5 in penalties against. They were an extremely disciplined team. In my recollection, the only penalties called in game 6 (7 was a 5-0 blow out, if you're going to blame THAT on officiating...my god) were blatant offenses. The Caps committed 5 blatant penalties and the Rangers committed none. I remember BOTH teams getting away with quite a lot that game. I remember the calls made being blatant penalties and that's it...the refs mostly swallowed the whistles. No agenda. No favoritism. Just one undisciplined team getting called for the truly blatant stuff and the other EXTREMELY disciplined team playing just clean enough in a playoff game to not get called. Blatant trips and high sticks always get called, ticky tacky stuff gets let go in the playoffs and I can't stress it enough, BOTH teams got away with a ton that game.

Penalties aren't doled out based on what is fair and to keep it even.

It's pretty sad to be blaming a series that you were up 3-2 in and had home ice for on the officiating in game 6, which was won 1-0 on a ES goal.

Yeah, overlook the fact that the caps had game 7 in their barn and **** the bed and lost 5-0. FIVE to ZERO. Game 7. Home Ice.

Should also add that this has nothing to do with the 2014-15 Caps. I think they're greatly improved and should be a playoff team. Time will tell with that, but I think they're a good enough team to be in the playoffs. Very improved from last season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The last time I checked, special teams were part of the game. In football, special teams often decide winning or losing. Same with hockey. I guarantee Rags fans would be *****ing about the officiating if roles were reversed, so get off the high horse. The Ovie penalty was a joke and changed the game, and the penalties called in 2013 changed the series. Not sure how Rangers fans don't understand why Caps fans would be angry about it.

Back on topic, I'd much rather play the Rangers than a healthy Blue Jackets team. The CBJ can match us size and strength wise and we typically struggle against them. The Rangers are fast, and we do well against smaller fast teams (Tampa, NYI). Hank is the only person on that Rangers team who worries me. And St Louis. Dude has killed the Caps for a decade.

MilanKraft*

They all suck so wouldn't care which one to face....probably columbus. ...

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Number of Playoff Series' won in the last five years:

CBJ - 0
WSH - 2
NYR - 6

Nice spin, 3 of those wins for the Rangers came last year under the new coach, how many wins Rangers had in the previous decade under Torts :laugh:
Caps have new coach this season and play like different team, CBJ showed up on the map just last season, sorry, but that comparison is just misleading

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Nice spin, 3 of those wins for the Rangers came last year under the new coach, how many wins Rangers had in the previous decade under Torts :laugh:
Caps have new coach this season and play like different team, CBJ showed up on the map just last season, sorry, but that comparison is just misleading

Huh?! Didnt the 2012 team under torts go to ECF? Following year to second round and lost to undoubtedly the best team in the east at the time (Boston).
Btw torts wasn't here for a decade. He was here for 4 years. Not even close to a decade.
I could be wrong but since the lockout I believe the rangers are one of the teams that have been in the most playoff rounds (16) so not sure what you're talking about .

Last edited:

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
The last time I checked, special teams were part of the game. In football, special teams often decide winning or losing. Same with hockey. I guarantee Rags fans would be *****ing about the officiating if roles were reversed, so get off the high horse. The Ovie penalty was a joke and changed the game, and the penalties called in 2013 changed the series. Not sure how Rangers fans don't understand why Caps fans would be angry about it.

Back on topic, I'd much rather play the Rangers than a healthy Blue Jackets team. The CBJ can match us size and strength wise and we typically struggle against them. The Rangers are fast, and we do well against smaller fast teams (Tampa, NYI). Hank is the only person on that Rangers team who worries me. And St Louis. Dude has killed the Caps for a decade.

You lost Game 7, 5-0 at home, and you blame the officiating. :laugh:

Do you see how ridiculous that is.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Huh?! Didnt the 2012 team under torts go to ECF? Following year to second round and lost to undoubtedly the best team in the east at the time (Boston).
Btw torts wasn't here for a decade. He was here for 4 years. Not even close to a decade.
I could be wrong but since the lockout I believe the rangers are one of the teams that have won the most playoff series (16) so not sure what you're talking about .

Prior to the last season the Rangers won total of 5 series since the lockout, and before the lock out they didn't even qualify for the playoffs for I don't know how many years? 7?

Last season was their best after 20years of forgettable and mediocre play, too early for chest pumping and talking down to other teams in my opinion

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York

Yeah, Because a brand new coach taking his team to the STANLEY CUP FINALS in his first year is something that should be frowned upon rather than commended for, amirite? By the way, Torts wasn't even here for half a decade (and took the rangers to the conference finals) but okay. :laugh:

Here's a bigger version of the other poster's "spin"

the rangers have made the playoffs every year except one since the 04' lockout and only missed by a shootout goal. Out of all those years the rangers have lost in the first round twice. so "in a decade" they have advanced from round one 6 out of 8 times and made it to at least the conference finals twice.

The caps have missed 3 times since the lockout, finishing dead last in their division before allignment and advanced round one 3 out of 6 times and never past round 2.

and finally columbus has only made 2 playoff appearances total since the lockout or otherwise and lost both times in round 1.

So how exactly is the success difference in the 3 "misleading"?

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Not sure what's going on in here but if you are relying on your power play to win games you are in for a world of hurt. Especially in the playoffs.

For the record it's extremely possible for a team to not commit a penalty in the playoffs. In fact one of the best games in awhile was TB/Boston Game 7 in the ECF. That game was extremely hard fought and neither team took a single penalty. And it was a 1-0 final. The only downside to that game was the guy who scored the goal should have been suspended by the NHL for that game based on precedence but that's a whole other story and I digress lol.

Bottom line is, if you're not good 5v5, you aren't gonna get very far.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Such a weak argument. I bet hypothetically if someone totally different happened, at least one person who follows your team would have complained. Yeah, maybe. Doesn't make it any less silly.

The Caps haven't done well against this faster version of the Rangers. You think they might not do well against CBJ, but we've seen them not do well against the Rangers multiple times now. If I were deciding for the Caps, I'd take CBJ for sure. Deciding for the Rangers, I'd take the Caps. Do not want to even run the risk of Dubi playing like a mad man and costing the Rangers a run. Plus, Holtby is more beatable than Bob when both are on their games.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004

Facts can be oh so misleading.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Probably the Jackets or the Rangers. The Lightning never beat the Capitals. I think we have more talent than Columbus, and the Rangers we seem to do very well against.

TB didn't have a problem sweeping the Caps when it mattered a few years ago.

Honestly as a TB fan I wouldn't have a problem getting any of these match ups. If I had to pick the one I wouldn't want out of the three it would be Columbus. Simply because the Caps are notorious playoff chokers and outside of OV they don't have much that scares me and Holtby can't stop TB offense over a 7 game series. And TB has the Rangers number and honestly I'd love to finish off a St Louis playof run.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This thread is overly ridiculous. People hating on the Rangers recent post-season success are just straight up wrong. The facts prove it. The only thing working against the Rangers sucesses in the post-season are that they don't have a cup since the lockout began. You know how many other teams don't have a cup since the lockout? 23.

Now, here's a list of the most playoff series won by teams since the lockout:

Chicago / Detroit - 12
Pittsburgh - 11
Boston / LA - 10
New York Rangers / Anaheim / San Jose - 8
Philadelphia - 7
Carolina / Vancouver - 6
Ottawa / Montreal / New Jersey - 5
Buffalo / New Jersey - 4
Edmonton / Washington - 3
Colorado / Dallas / Tampa Bay / Nashville - 2
St. Louis / Minnesota - 1

Not bad company to have.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
This thread is overly ridiculous. People hating on the Rangers recent post-season success are just straight up wrong. The facts prove it. The only thing working against the Rangers sucesses in the post-season are that they don't have a cup since the lockout began. You know how many other teams don't have a cup since the lockout? 23.

Now, here's a list of the most playoff series won by teams since the lockout:

Chicago / Detroit - 12
Pittsburgh - 11
Boston / LA - 10
New York Rangers / Anaheim / San Jose - 8
Philadelphia - 7
Carolina / Vancouver - 6
Ottawa / Montreal / New Jersey - 5
Buffalo / New Jersey - 4
Edmonton / Washington - 3
Colorado / Dallas / Tampa Bay / Nashville - 2
St. Louis / Minnesota - 1

Not bad company to have.

What is the reason for the arbitrary cutoff being the 04 lockout?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What is the reason for the arbitrary cutoff being the 04 lockout?

Is the lockout really arbitrary? Or judging by your avatar, are you just upset that Tampa Bay's Stanley Cup winning run isn't included in that? I'm not trying to troll or anything, really, but I don't think using the lockout as a cutoff is arbitrary at all considering how much has changed since then...

Is that just me?

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Is the lockout really arbitrary? Or judging by your avatar, are you just upset that Tampa Bay's Stanley Cup winning run isn't included in that? I'm not trying to troll or anything, really, but I don't think using the lockout as a cutoff is arbitrary at all considering how much has changed since then...

Is that just me?

Was really just curious. But more so since we have had another lockout since then.

I personally don't think prior playoff success is relevant IF there has been a lot of roster turnover.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Was really just curious. But more so since we have had another lockout since then.

I personally don't think prior playoff success is relevant IF there has been a lot of roster turnover.

Oh, then even better, since the Rangers have 4 playoff series wins since the last lockout, and the Caps have 0! It's a Christmas miracle!

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Oh, then even better, since the Rangers have 4 playoff series wins since the last lockout, and the Caps have 0! It's a Christmas miracle!

I thought this thread was about comparing NYR, Caps and CBJ to other teams in the East, not a pissing match between Rangers and Caps fans

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I thought this thread was about comparing NYR, Caps and CBJ to other teams in the East, not a pissing match between Rangers and Caps fans

It turned into one, so I merely defended the team I root for.

I'd suspect other teams in the east might not want to face the team that is tied for 6th most playoff series wins since the lockout though :dunno:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

I think the 2004-05 lockout is used as a time to judge from because the game has changed since then, significantly. Also, the salary cap was instituted. It's not an arbitrary year to judge after. Saying "Since the 2009 season" would be arbitrary, saying since the lockout is not.

AHB*

Did you follow hockey prior to 04'? Serious question, not trying to be a jerk. The NHL came back after the 04' lockout with a completely different style. It came to be known as the "new-NHL" and has continued to develop since then. It's a much more open style game. They got rid of the red line and essentially destroyed the trap, making skilled players far more relevant and plugs much less so. It also instituted the cap.

Basically the NHL drastically changed after the first lockout and really didn't change much after the 2nd.

Generally when I look at teams successes/non-successes I also use the 04' lockout as the time period. But even if you want to look at more recent success, the Rangers are one of only two teams I believe (the Kings) to win a playoff round in each of the last three years, going to the ECF one season and the finals in another.

Any way you want to slice it, using the post lockout or the past couple years, the Rangers have been one of the leagues most successful teams.

I know we'll get the people that scream "cup only counts ARGHHHHHHH" but success can certainly be measured on different levels. Regardless of cups, I would argue the Rangers have probably been the most successful Eastern Conference franchise of the past 3 years and probably a top 5, if not top 3 in the last 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad