Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Carl Hagelin signs extension (4 years, $2.75M AAV)

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
He also only scored 1 point in the playoffs, but let’s focus only on those 20 games where he actually played decently and ignore the rest.
His last 3 playoffs combined he has 6 points in 31 games.

No one should take away those great playoff years, but they are 4 years ago now.

It's almost like he's making 2.75 million a year and not 5 million like every borderline scoring forward with a pulse these days.

He's got better pedigree than Roussel, Beagle, Komarov all of whom signed higher money contracts when the cap was lower. His PK/indirect offensive contributions via disruption of opposing teams/taking hard minutes/tilting the ice are worth 3 mil easily

Reminds me of all the shitting on Orpik contract 5 years ago which in hindsight was one of the best UFA signings we've ever made

Reactions: Silky mitts

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Lets try this again. If you are saying that one year of Hagelin at 2.75m is a mistake, that is your opinion and I wont argue with you. But you start with the 4 years thing. I have given you a fairly lenthy track record that this general manage has. He has 2 presidents trophy, a cup, and a division championship with this style of cap management.

He doesn't care about years 3 and 4. You are saying he is stuck with them and I have pointed out that he has not been so far. If you don't want to accept that, its your business.
You are the one having a hard time accepting the fact that years three and four in the deal exist. You can't just say all four years of the deal don't matter and pretend like it isn't a factor. In the real world the Caps gave four years to a declining 31 year old bottom 6 F. It is what it is. If you are ok with that type of investment for 10 goals/25 points and 6 points over his last 31 playoff games then that's cool. I sure wouldn't be.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
"Eller was invisible in the playoffs, ship him out" - you in 2017

Nope and a third line shut down center putting up 5 points in 13 games is a lot better than a winger playing in the top 6 getting 1 point in 7 games. Defend that I’m waiting.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It's almost like he's making 2.75 million a year and not 5 million like every borderline scoring forward with a pulse these days.

He's got better pedigree than Roussel, Beagle, Komarov all of whom signed higher money contracts when the cap was lower. His PK/indirect offensive contributions via disruption of opposing teams/taking hard minutes/tilting the ice are worth 3 mil easily

Reminds me of all the ****ting on Orpik contract 5 years ago which in hindsight was one of the best UFA signings we've ever made
Just because a few other teams gave out worse contracts doesn't make this a good deal. That's typically the type of rationale people use to talk themselves or others into something not being a mistake.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Usually teams find these bottom 6 guys on the longer contracts are the guys they're trying to upgrade before the contract has run its course.

My point is that MacLellan has no interest in the contract running its course. He is trying to win a cup one year at a time. Ovechkin might have another season like the last one and then start to decline. He isn't worried about year 3 on that contract when he looks at that.

People said that there is no way TJ Oshie is a decent player or a player at all in year 7 or 8 of his contract. He was great in year one of that deal and they won the cup. The Caps don't win the Cup without Orpik, Niskanen, and Oshie. All players that signed contracts where the back half of the term is questionable at best.

Meanwhile, teams just don't "usually find" a Carl Hagelin. He is a unique player with a certain skill set. The Caps wanted Orpik because he was the one player available that brought the specifics that he did. Same with Hagelin.

Last edited:

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
You are the one having a hard time accepting the fact that years three and four in the deal exist. You can't just say all four years of the deal don't matter and pretend like it isn't a factor. In the real world the Caps gave four years to a declining 31 year old bottom 6 F. It is what it is. If you are ok with that type of investment for 10 goals/25 points and 6 points over his last 31 playoff games then that's cool. I sure wouldn't be.
Yeah but in 4 years, 2.75 is going to be what 2mil is now. The Caps might not even be contenders at that point. He could easily be bought out or traded before year 4 if need be.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You are the one having a hard time accepting the fact that years three and four in the deal exist.

Not at all. I am saying that they are not a factor. That's all. MacLellan has done this repeatedly. I assume you don't approve of that. OK. Most Caps fans love MacLellan.

Look at the deal this way. Its a 2 year contract with 2 team options after that. You think the team is screwed by those final 2 years and I have shown you that repeatedly MacLellan has had no trouble managing those situations.

I understand that you may think its a bad idea. You should understand that this is the Caps GM's MO and it works for him.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hags brings some things that are critical to cup contenders. Speed, fore checking, PK and smarts. Good guy well liked in his time with the Pens.The singular issue is health. I see that being the concern here.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Would've preferred getting Hagelin back in the Gudas trade than Niskanen.

Have wanted Hagelin on the Flyers since his NYR days. sigh.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Love me some Hagelin, but I’m super happy about this given the speculation that Pittsburgh wanted to bring him back. He just doesn’t have the offensive skill anymore to play in a contending team’s top-9 on a regular basis, and that is a bit much for a fourth liner. I doubt he’ll fall off much from where he is now - that is, a great defensive player who’s good at getting pucks deep - though, so not a bad deal for the Caps.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Nope and a third line shut down center putting up 5 points in 13 games is a lot better than a winger playing in the top 6 getting 1 point in 7 games. Defend that I’m waiting.
You’re aware there are responsibilities on the team other than scoring, correct? Some of those responsibilities HAVE to fall to players in your TOP 6. There is no way to look at this as a bad signing considering the $ amount.

Reactions: Sam Spade

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Expected Rutherford to make a play for him in FA. Nice signing by the Caps, Hagelin is still a useful utility forward even if he isn't quite what he was 3-4 years ago.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
He just doesn’t have the offensive skill anymore to play in a contending team’s top-9 on a regular basis, and that is a bit much for a fourth liner.
I don't think Caps have problems with offense. Need someone who will chase and bring the puck. Probably, there are better players somewhere, but better to stick with player that you know already.

Reactions: Dominance

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Are you serious? We're basing his worth going forward on one bananas playoff round rather than his resume up until this point, including the post-deadline games on our team where he wasn't miscast? I can only imagine how overpaid you think Crosby is going forward with his one assist in his playoff round this year.

His bad playoff round is already factored in with his cap hit about a million less than he'd get on the open market if he got a couple extra secondary assists this spring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad