Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Carl Hagelin signs extension (4 years, $2.75M AAV)

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Good for Hags, and with cap projection that hit percentage isn't an over payment for what he brings beyond the point totals.

I'm also convinced he can hit 10/20 again or similar in a full season with the Caps, and he's a pure energy guy who gives his all. He's also (or at least he was with us) a non-stop chatter and encouragement cheerleader from the bench. He can amp guys up at the right times.

I'd love him at that price if we were remotely close to competing. The kind of ideal depth pieces that you really want in the post-season. We'll see if he still has his motor churning as hard in 3-4 seasons but it should be a dirty cheap hit by then or an easy buyout/bury if needed. I doubt it though, I think he can do the 4 years just fine.

Reactions: Silky mitts

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Seems really reasonable at first glance, but he is already 31. That term might hurt the Capitals.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
4 years i don't know about that but the AAV is lower so thatswhy its 4 and not 2 or 3 years

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
No offense, but appear to be a Kings fan. The Kings, the style of hockey they play, had no business getting Carl Hagelin. He was useless in their system. Completely the opposite for the Capitals. He plugged straight in. He played on the 2nd 3rd and 4th lines. He played 4 on 4 and played 1st pk. He had 11pts after the trade deadline.
He also only scored 1 point in the playoffs, but let’s focus only on those 20 games where he actually played decently and ignore the rest.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I love it for the sole fact of salty Penguins fans who wanted a reunion
I can assure you any objective Pens’ fan is relieved Rutherford didn’t sign him. Hagelin was largely useless this past season. I don’t want to sign a player this side of 30 that relies on speed so much to a 4 year deal.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
He also only scored 1 point in the playoffs, but let’s focus only on those 20 games where he actually played decently and ignore the rest.
ok so including the playoff games, because we aren't ignoring anything here, he had 12 points in 27 games. Which is a 35 point pace.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I can assure you any objective Pens’ fan is relieved Rutherford didn’t sign him. Hagelin was largely useless this past season. I don’t want to sign a player this side of 30 that relies on speed so much to a 4 year deal.
I’m more or less teasing, I did see a few penguins fans post about getting him back. I wasn’t over the top impressed with Hagelin but he seemed to fit well with the Capitals and his PK prowess is there. I was hoping for more of him in the playoffs but it seemed Ovechkin and Bäckström were the only ones that showed up, overall I don’t think it’s a bad contract tho

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Once again another GM breaking the cardinal rule of don’t sign a bottom 6 forward for 4+ years.

2 years, 3 years tops for your bottom 6 guys.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Terrible contract, especially for a team with supposed cap issues. 2.75 aav isn't that bad but I think it's a little bit high. Either way four years for a 31 year old declining bottom 6 F isn't smart at all.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Yea, well....Another check and you find that Connolly and Burakovsky had 2 and Vrana had 0.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Terrible contract, especially for a team with supposed cap issues. 2.75 aav isn't that bad but I think it's a little bit high. Either way four years for a 31 year old declining bottom 6 F isn't smart at all.

I don't think you are seeing this clearly. MacLellan is looking for a team that can win the cup next season. It has to fit under the cap. He doesn't care about years 3 and 4 on that contract anymore than he cared about years 4 and 5 on Orpik or years 6 and 7 on Niskanen's contract. He didn't sign Oshie to an 8 year contract because he was counting on years 7 and 8.

He is willing to give term to keep the aav under his cap projections. Its not a terrible contract. They have the player for the next season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Once again another GM breaking the cardinal rule of don’t sign a bottom 6 forward for 4+ years.

2 years, 3 years tops for your bottom 6 guys.

Question. Which? A better player for this season with too much term or a lesser player on less term? Do you want to win or....?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I don't think you are seeing this clearly. MacLellan is looking for a team that can win the cup next season. It has to fit under the cap. He doesn't care about years 3 and 4 on that contract anymore than he cared about years 4 and 5 on Orpik or years 6 and 7 on Niskanen's contract. He didn't sign Oshie to an 8 year contract because he was counting on years 7 and 8.

He is willing to give term to keep the aav under his cap projections. Its not a terrible contract. They have the player for the next season.
Your team is investing four years at nearly 3 million per year for a 31 year old 10 goal/25 point bottom 6 winger. I would have to respectfully disagree and say you are the one not seeing this clearly.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Your team is investing four years at nearly 3 million per year for a 31 year old 10 goal/25 point bottom 6 winger. I would have to respectfully disagree and say you are the one not seeing this clearly.

Lets try this again. If you are saying that one year of Hagelin at 2.75m is a mistake, that is your opinion and I wont argue with you. But you start with the 4 years thing. I have given you a fairly lenthy track record that this general manage has. He has 2 presidents trophy, a cup, and a division championship with this style of cap management.

He doesn't care about years 3 and 4. You are saying he is stuck with them and I have pointed out that he has not been so far. If you don't want to accept that, its your business.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Question. Which? A better player for this season with too much term or a lesser player on less term? Do you want to win or....?

Usually teams find these bottom 6 guys on the longer contracts are the guys they're trying to upgrade before the contract has run its course.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
Maybe if our entire 4th was getting paid over 7 mil a year it's a problem...as of now a fourth line of hagelin, dowd, and Stephenson/Boyd is gonna be under 4.5 mil total...I don't see the issue.

Yeah, over 3 years can be an issue, but his capnhit is such that he can be bought out, buried, or traded with relative ease.

Also factor in that Hags is solid on the 3rd line and this is a pretty solid deal IMO.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Don’t like it as a Caps fan. He was invisible in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad