Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Carl Hagelin signs extension (4 years, $2.75M AAV)

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Are you serious? We're basing his worth going forward on one bananas playoff round rather than his resume up until this point, including the post-deadline games on our team where he wasn't miscast? I can only imagine how overpaid you think Crosby is going forward with his one assist in his playoff round this year.

His bad playoff round is already factored in with his cap hit about a million less than he'd get on the open market if he got a couple extra secondary assists this spring.

One bad playoff round? He has 6 points in his last 31 playoffs games. Go on keep digging that hole further, you’re making this easy hahah

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Just because a few other teams gave out worse contracts doesn't make this a good deal. That's typically the type of rationale people use to talk themselves or others into something not being a mistake.

No, his resume and all the ways he tilts the ice that don't directly translate to the scoresheet make it a good or at the very least decent deal. His PKing (especially with Gudas now on the team as well) and forcing the lines he's matched up against to exhaust themselves chasing the puck instead of generating something is already worth 2 million or close to it before he scores any meaningful number of points.

He could also show up and be complete trash completely uncharacteristically in his career and they could still easily get rid of the cap hit or manage it, which is more than you could say about someone like Skinner or Eberle if they lay an egg.

Reactions: Prominence

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
One bad playoff round? He has 6 points in his last 31 playoffs games. Go on keep digging that hole further, you’re making this easy hahah

My bad, I didn't realize I was talking to a 14 year old. Explains why you're expecting top 6 production from a bottom 6 shutdown vet signed to bottom 6 shutdown vet money though

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
You all are acting like trading a 2.75 mill elite PKer at the trade deadline will be impossible. If the Caps want to move him to get salary cap relief teams will be lining up to get him.
He already showed this trade deadline to have a 3rd round pick value.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Once again another GM breaking the cardinal rule of don’t sign a bottom 6 forward for 4+ years.

2 years, 3 years tops for your bottom 6 guys.

So the GM that engineered 4 straight Metro titles, 2 Prez Cups....oh and a Stanley Cup to boot.... that GM is breaking some HF Posters cardinal rule?

I could add a punch line — but I don’t think I need to.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Your team is investing four years at nearly 3 million per year for a 31 year old 10 goal/25 point bottom 6 winger. I would have to respectfully disagree and say you are the one not seeing this clearly.

If people are looking at Hags point scoring prowess, they aren’t understanding the player.

Hags prevents goals as well as most and is a dynamic PK player. He’s crazy from what I witnessed. When he was a 35-40pts player with those added skills, he was worth 4m 4 years ago (which would be 5m at least now). He’s lost some of his scoring punch for sure, but he still has that defense and PK dynamic that are high level. So— he’s worth about half the 5m now. Ergo 2.75

Makes good sense to me.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I don’t dislike the player or negate his value as a pker and general 200 foot prowess (even if he can’t finish anymore). I just didn’t really want to pay him more than 2 x 2 for what he brings to the table at present. The fact is that there’s not much cap space to go around, so every dollar that goes to Hags is not going towards third line scoring depth. We’ll see what they put together when it it’s all done. If we hit the season with Boyd and Hagelin as the wings on the third and some scrubs on the 4th, it will look like a downgrade from a team that struggled with scoring depth during the playoffs already- and with no viable forward prospects ready for call ups to speak of. I’m hoping they figure out how to make some depth scoring happen still. The off-season is just getting started, so we shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hivemind

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
If people are looking at Hags point scoring prowess, they aren’t understanding the player.

Hags prevents goals as well as most and is a dynamic PK player. He’s crazy from what I witnessed. When he was a 35-40pts player with those added skills, he was worth 4m 4 years ago (which would be 5m at least now). He’s lost some of his scoring punch for sure, but he still has that defense and PK dynamic that are high level. So— he’s worth about half the 5m now. Ergo 2.75

Makes good sense to me.
It's far more about the term than the aav. Four years for a 31 year old bottom 6 W usually doesn't work out well.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It's far more about the term than the aav. Four years for a 31 year old bottom 6 W usually doesn't work out well.

Because usually it's guys like Clarkson or AMac who get their payday with an insane cap hit and then fade away.

Hagelin is more like Talbot, the latter wasn't worth his contract by the end but he didn't hamper the Flyers one bit with it because it was so low and he could still contribute while an NHLer. With the way the cap is going a 35 year old Hagelin will still be worth around 2.5 mil even with expected regression.

Only way I'd be against it is if they were to bank every penny of cap space and make a run at Johansson or Ferland or someone like that, but last year exposed just how much they missed bottom 6 vets when they tried to replace Beagle with Dowd and had a league minimum 4th line that got abused and dragged the whole team down. Plus everyone of value will be super overpaid this offseason. PKing and having a bottom 6 capable of tilting the ice and giving the top lines room to breathe is very important, just ask Babcock.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002

And generally most GM’s don’t win the Cup. So we will see which “cardinal rule” gets broken.

I’m gonna bet in this particular GM, but you are free to bet on whatever you want.

We had Jason Chimera on the team for years. Hands of stone. But his speed was invaluable and he was always well worth his contract number. His speed didn’t falter all the way up til he left — at 37. They are very similar players. Chimera’s most points coming to DC at age 30 was 36. Hagelin’s most points coming to DC at age 30 was 39. Chimera eclipsed 36 TWICE after coming to DC in his 7yrs.

I don’t expect Hags to eclipse anything. But it would not shock me or Caps fans to see him hit 40pts one year, like Chimera did 2x post age 30.

Maybe you guys are afraid of that type of player aging poorly. Caps fans are not.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsjustsurvival

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I wish the Pens could have got him back. I think expecting him to put up points despite him failing to do it with Malkin and Kessel is kind of odd, but Hagelin is the exact kind of checking line winger that winning teams have. This year was the first time in Carl Hagelin's career that he didn't make it to the second round. He has a 17-6 playoff series record.

edit: Apparently Carl Hagelin played the most playoff games in the 2010s with 128, despite entering the league in 11-12.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
I think people tend to forget that if you divided the $83 million dollars over 23 players, the average contract would be 3.6 million. This is a great deal for an incredible player who, while he may not score much, provides great defensive abilities and can back off defenders. He also had 11 points in 20 games with the Caps so do with that what you will. If you're complaining about a 2.75 million dollar contract, you're stuck in 2011-12 when the cap was 64.3 million. Spending 2.75 for 4 years with an 83 million dollar cap is not something to whine about when it comes to what Hagelin gives.

Pretty good likelihood that cap goes up in the next few years although I think there will be ANOTHER lockout because of how much the cap his risen. Contracts need a reset at this point tbh and the RFA system is broken

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
I think that this is a fair deal. There will be worse contracts given out on July 1st for inferior players. I like the trend so far with teams re-upping players that they acquired and actually saw them play on their team. Skinner, Eberle and now Hagelin. It is riskier to sign a UFA because who knows if a player will come in and just not gel with other players or the coach doesn't value them as much as the GM.

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
Very fair contract. For those saying the Calvert contract is bad, you won’t find many Avs fans complaining about it at all. He and Hagelin play an almost identical role/style, and both fit the identity of their teams, and provide way more than points. Both heart and soul guys that every team would love to have.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think that's too much term.
Over the past few years I've come to accept that when you're at a low enough pay level it's not worth giving out any more than 2 years.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
I got no problem with Hagelin as a player, but Washington could just go with Axel Jonsson Fjällby for less money and pretty much the same result.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I got no problem with Hagelin as a player, but Washington could just go with Axel Jonsson Fjällby for less money and pretty much the same result.

I like him as much an anyone but I very much doubt he comes preprogrammed with years of NHL caliber PK subroutines and forechecking timings, considering much more experienced and higher pedigreed players were struggling to provide what Hagelin brought last year

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I think that's too much term.
Over the past few years I've come to accept that when you're at a low enough pay level it's not worth giving out any more than 2 years.

Term doesn't really matter if the contract is easy to move, 4x3 is a lot different than 6x6 or the like. Hagelin's "4" year contract is the same as Niskanen's "7" year contract or Orpik's "5" year contract for us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->