Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Carl Hagelin signs extension (4 years, $2.75M AAV)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Term doesn't really matter if the contract is easy to move, 4x3 is a lot different than 6x6 or the like. Hagelin's "4" year contract is the same as Niskanen's "7" year contract or Orpik's "5" year contract for us

You're 100% correct, but at the same time I personally feel that long term contracts are better off given the players of a higher caliber.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
You're 100% correct, but at the same time I personally feel that long term contracts are better off given the players of a higher caliber.

High caliber players will get a contract with both long term and high cap hit already, there's no way around it. If you don't give 6+ year term you don't get them period. Guys like Stastny and Pacioretty being the exception

Giving role players/guys that broke into the NHL after years in the minors job security can provide advantage in lowering the cap hit or getting them to choose your team.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
How this contract will go depends on how he keeps his speed further into his 30s. If he's a unicorn like Cullen he could last doing his thing, but most likely I think that's going to be a buyout after year 2 or 3.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Hagelin type players don't grow on trees. He may be the only player with his skill set. The Capitals don't need star players. Their defense and penalty killing though, are going thru major turnover and they need the quality this player brings to those areas.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Hagelin type players don't grow on trees. He may be the only player with his skill set. The Capitals don't need star players. Their defense and penalty killing though, are going thru major turnover and they need the quality this player brings to those areas.

Hagelin does an awful lot of little things they don't really keep stats on that help you win games. With Gudas and Wilson on the same squad, you don't want to start letting premiere pk guys walk away, you're probably going to need them.

This and the advanced stats back this up as well.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

A lot changed after Hagelin got to D.C. PK got 2% better in only 20 games and Capitals out-possessed the competition in 15 of his 20 games played (48% avg. before, 54% avg after). He made an immediate impact on a lot of little things for the team as well as actually putting up points.

I for one am extremely happy he re-upped with the Capitals. My only issue with him is health.

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
How this contract will go depends on how he keeps his speed further into his 30s. If he's a unicorn like Cullen he could last doing his thing, but most likely I think that's going to be a buyout after year 2 or 3.
Who the hell and why the hell would anyone buy out a $2.75M contract. Good lord, people are acting like this is a $5M, 35+ contract. Sheesh. He’s a decent 3/4 line player that plays special teams and plays a style that isn’t overly taxing on his body. His speed is absolutely an asset but good skaters rarely simply lose their wheels overnight. I can’t believe how many people are so passionately assailing what is essentially a nothing contract for an experienced, veteran, elite, gadget-type player.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I think that's too much term.
Over the past few years I've come to accept that when you're at a low enough pay level it's not worth giving out any more than 2 years.
I think when it's a low enough pay level more years are great because the risk is so low and the reward is so great, like the Caps signed Beagle to 2 3 year deals that were great. 2.75M relative to the cap now is just on that I don't care how many years line though.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
As long as Hagelin keeps up his speed he'll be a very useful player, pretty reasonable cap hit. Obviously not a very good scorer himself but he's actually a pretty good play driver and solid on the PK. MacLellan is doing some good work in Washington.

Reactions: Blades of Steel

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Fair contract...good cap hit for the Caps, but the term justifies it. I was expecting something closer to 3x3-3.25.

I hate having to root against him because of the jersey he wears, so I have that in common with Rangers fans now.

Anyone who thinks this is an overpayment should be reminded of the contracts Roussel, Reaves, Beagle, and Calvert got in UFA last year.

Indeed. Even if last season solely consisted of him struggling mightily in Pittsburgh and getting hurt in LA, Hagelin was going to get both decent money and term just based on his reputation and resume alone. There are 31 teams in this league that would be better off just by having a Carl Hagelin in the locker room...just not 31 teams that can afford that luxury.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silky mitts

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
AAV is solid and term isnt that big of a problem, had he signed a deal with NMC or NTC, it would be way different. This way Caps have 30(31) teams to potentially trade him to and can possibly move him with a bit of a retention even if he doesnt look good since he has a lot of PO experience and 2 Cups (potentially more), so even if he goes downhill they can market him as experienced PO player and "proven winner" and 1 GM is deffinitely going to bite. Unless he completely falls of a cliff it should be a good deal for Caps and potential problems in year 3/4 should be manageable.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Smart deal, glad to see he will be around for a while. He's a good player, no question. These are the signings you win with.

Reactions: NinjaKick

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Would like to see how he would do on a line with Ovi and Kuzy/Backstrom. His speed and forecheck could open things up. Maybe they tried this last year and I forgot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad