Eklund Rumor: (WPG/TOR) Nylander for Trouba

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I guess we can expect this sort of "hot take" that Hainsey and Trouba are in the same universe from fans who have forgotten what good defensive play looks like.

"Hainsey" and "first pairing" in the same sentence is kinda funny, though.

Hainsey is an unremarkable yet proficient D that can be played on any pairing. He has been used like that for a while. 1st round pick #13, while in his first years in the league he was getting 20-30+ points. Sound like someone else we know? Trouba, who is just as unremarkable to the eye test as unremarkable gets. Stable, sure. Special... No.

Nov 24, 2006
Hainsey is an unremarkable yet proficient D that can be played on any pairing. He has been used like that for a while. 1st round pick #13, while in his first years in the league he was getting 20-30+ points. Sound like someone else we know? Trouba, who is just as unremarkable to the eye test as unremarkable gets. Stable, sure. Special... No.
Your lack of insight into both of these players is amusing.

Reactions: Huffer and fmrdh

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Your lack of insight into both of these players is amusing.

I don't know what's going on out there in the peg. You guys are comparing Trouba to Rielly (that's a complete joke). Then you are suggesting Nylander, who could for all we know could be a ppg player shortly... as fair value? It's just strange, he isn't that great at all, and he gets beat by speed to the outside way to often as well. Maybe Ekblad who isn't as good as Rielly right now in a #1D role would be a better option but Nylander is not.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Wow! This is one of the funniest things I've ever read. I know Leafs fans don't really know what good defense looks like, but comparing a 6/7 defenseman like Hainsey to a top pairing defenseman like Trouba shows a true lack of the understanding of hockey. Are you saying Hainsey is Toronto's best defenseman over Reilly?

Reactions: Huffer

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I don't know what's going on out there in the peg. You guys are comparing Trouba to Rielly (that's a complete joke). Then you are suggesting Nylander, who could for all we know could be a ppg player shortly... as fair value? It's just strange, he isn't that great at all, and he gets beat by speed to the outside way to often as well. Maybe Ekblad who isn't as good as Rielly right now in a #1D role would be a better option but Nylander is not.
And now Reilly is better than Ekblad. I guess Hainsey is better than both of them!! [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Huffer

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
And now Reilly is better than Ekblad. I guess Hainsey is better than both of them!! [MOD]

1st pairing, toughest competition... Rielly, 52pts in 76 games. 5pts in 7 PO games. That's what a number one D does. Trouba is a complimentary, Hainsey type of player. He isn't special at all, just watch him. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
1st pairing, toughest competition... Rielly, 52pts in 76 games. 5pts in 7 PO games. That's what a number one D does. Trouba is a complimentary, Hainsey type of player. He isn't special at all, just watch him. [MOD]
Watched both Hainsey and Trouba. You're completely insane if you think they are even close to the same type of player....let alone the same level.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Should Jets really trade a toppair D-man for a third line rwer, seems like a kinda weak return.

3rd line? on what team? The Leafs have arguably the deepest forward group in the NHL and he is playing on their 1/1A line there. He would be the best winger on a lot of teams.

This trade is never happening, but it isn't because Nylander is some plug. Trouba is the piece the Jets need. He didn't get traded when he asked for a trade because the Jets wanted a D in return. The Leafs aren't shopping Nylander, and likely aren't trading him for Trouba, even if offered, as they will be a little worried about Trouba continuing to force his way out of Canada and end up trading Nylander for a year of Trouba and some futures if they are forced to move him in the summer.

Trouba likely gets moved next year by the jets, and it will be for a decent return, but chances are it's not going to be a 1-1 type swap, since Trouba is going to push for the team he wants to play for, and that team is going to just package together enough value rather than trading one of it's best young players.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Wow! This is one of the funniest things I've ever read. I know Leafs fans don't really know what good defense looks like, but comparing a 6/7 defenseman like Hainsey to a top pairing defenseman like Trouba shows a true lack of the understanding of hockey. Are you saying Hainsey is Toronto's best defenseman over Reilly?
6/7 for Hainsey is overstating it, he was pretty good in a top pairing role for about 2/3 of last year then seemed to run out of gas. 4/5 is probably about right for him at this stage

that said, the comparable to Trouba on Toronto's roster is Rielly not Hainsey. Rielly's got the upper hand after last season, but it was the opposite this time last year

I think there's a common misconception about Ekblad, he really has not been very good in a top pairing role. Rielly is better than Ekblad, but not because Rielly is an elite defender, it's becase Ekblad hasn't been a good top pairing defender. Trouba is also better than Ekblad

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Comparing Hainsey to Trouba is just silly.

Statistical analysis shows a stark difference between them.

If you can't see the difference between them with the "eye test", then I'm not sure what you're watching.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

Both fan bases overvaluing their players. Nylander is putting up 60 points per season. This isn't earth shattering and most outside your market see him as a solid player, but not "special."

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Both fan bases overvaluing their players. Nylander is putting up 60 points per season. This isn't earth shattering and most outside your market see him as a solid player, but not "special."

You do understand that 61 pts in his two first seasons puts him in elite company and at a high probability to break out. You do get that Seguin for instance started with 22pts and then had just 67.. Kopitar had 61 to start out and Tavares had just 54. Nylander is a sniper and he hardly executed his shot, he has way more to him in the goal scoring dept tbh.

So you are saying trade our potentially elite winger for your disgruntle basic 1st pair defender. Thanks, will pass.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Can't wait to see how Trouba looks next to Rielly.....BOOM!!:D
giphy.gif

Edit: Wait......that's what this trade is based around.........wtf am I smoking? Oh yeah!

Reactions: Liferleafer

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I don't mean to be that guy here, but you do realize that putting up 60+ points in your 1st 2 NHL seasons is pretty good...no? I will also say i am not underrating Trouba...kid is really good, would love to have him in TO.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
3 team trade

Leafs < Trouba

Jets < Seguin

Stars < Nylander, Little, WPG's 2019 1st

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
You do understand that 61 pts in his two first seasons puts him in elite company and at a high probability to break out. You do get that Seguin for instance started with 22pts and then had just 67.. Kopitar had 61 to start out and Tavares had just 54. Nylander is a sniper and he hardly executed his shot, he has way more to him in the goal scoring dept tbh.

So you are saying trade our potentially elite winger for your disgruntle basic 1st pair defender. Thanks, will pass.

Nylander was 20 and 21 the last 2 years.
Seguin scored 32 points in 48 games at 20 and 84 points at 21.
Kopitar had 77 points at 20
Tavares had 67 in 79 games and 81 at 20 and 21

Apples to oranges

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
3rd line? on what team? The Leafs have arguably the deepest forward group in the NHL and he is playing on their 1/1A line there. He would be the best winger on a lot of teams.

This trade is never happening, but it isn't because Nylander is some plug. Trouba is the piece the Jets need. He didn't get traded when he asked for a trade because the Jets wanted a D in return. The Leafs aren't shopping Nylander, and likely aren't trading him for Trouba, even if offered, as they will be a little worried about Trouba continuing to force his way out of Canada and end up trading Nylander for a year of Trouba and some futures if they are forced to move him in the summer.

Trouba likely gets moved next year by the jets, and it will be for a decent return, but chances are it's not going to be a 1-1 type swap, since Trouba is going to push for the team he wants to play for, and that team is going to just package together enough value rather than trading one of it's best young players.

If he does not transform into a C, he would be Jets third best RW, should I name the other 2, or can you figure it out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad