Eklund Rumor: (WPG/TOR) Nylander for Trouba

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well, since you don't seem to have been watching very carefully, let's look at the numbers, shall we? (Hint: red and orange are bad, and dark blue is good).

View attachment 137921

Try running that again, just for last year. Rielly as a player has progressed a great deal, and had a very good year last year. Prior to last year, you would have been right. Last year, provides a different narrative. Particularly when you look under the hood... judge where the Quality of Competition was, and the Quality of Teammates....

Rielly had a better year last year, than Trouba. Prior Trouba had been better... but, Rielly's game has progressed, where Trouba hasn't as much. This isn't a diss on Trouba, I think he's just going to take a little longer to develop. Frankly, I think they are pretty equal, with one having strengths in some areas, the other better in others...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Try running that again, just for last year. Rielly as a player has progressed a great deal, and had a very good year last year. Prior to last year, you would have been right. Last year, provides a different narrative. Particularly when you look under the hood... judge where the Quality of Competition was, and the Quality of Teammates....

Rielly had a better year last year, than Trouba. Prior Trouba had been better... but, Rielly's game has progressed, where Trouba hasn't as much. This isn't a diss on Trouba, I think he's just going to take a little longer to develop. Frankly, I think they are pretty equal, with one having strengths in some areas, the other better in others...
Guess what, when you look at last season you see that Trouba's defensive play has become even more dominant (in reducing expected goals against), and Rielly remains at the 8th percentile in expected goals against.

Trouba Rielly skatr 2017_18.png

If you want to see how they defend shot attempts more visually, look below. Trouba is a stud in his own zone, while Rielly leaks shots against, especially from prime scoring locations.

riellmo94

troubja94

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's all swell and everything, but in the real world, the ACTUAL Goals against, when on ice, and it's ratio to team save percentage, is actually pretty much the same. This against harder competition, with poorer teammates for Rielly.

When you look at GAR/82
Tableau Public

or GAR/82 5on5
Tableau Public

Rielly ends up ahead, and moreso because these stats rank his defense as better than Troubas.

Reducing "expected goals against", is wonderful and all... but what actually counts, is "actual goals against".

Again, you don't have to be so incredibly defensive about your player. He's an excellent D, and I'd love to have him on the Leafs. I think Rielly and him could make a wonderful pairing down the road. I'm just not buying the "it's not arguable" that one is far better than the other. Both Leafs fans, and Jets fans are being homers here, when really, these guys are pretty close to each other overall.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
We've been through this a thousand times. Every advanced stat shows Trouba ahead of Rielly by light years, except for PP points. Rielly is not and never has been as good as Trouba. Not debatable at all.

Reactions: Huffer

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
We've been through this a thousand times. Every advanced stat shows Trouba ahead of Rielly by light years, except for PP points. Rielly is not and never has been as good as Trouba. Not debatable at all.
This isn't deflection...but who cares? From this Leafs fan's point of view, i want Trouba to pair WITH Rielly....they accent each other nicely, Rielly can drive the offense from the back end, Trouba provides sound defense...done. I don't even care if Rielly's partner provides offense, just be above average defensively...that's why i've been pushing for Tanev.....or pipe dream not available guys like Manson/Slavin/ McAvoy.

Reactions: ACC1224

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Sorry. False.

Every Advanced Stat?

GAR 82/ 5 on 5 Offense vs. Defense

Rielly 10.5 5/5 Def +0.6 Off 5.4
Trouba 6.1 5/5 Def -0.3 Off 5.4 <--- Note, Trouba was a NEGATIVE defensively according to GAR, and in the top left quadrant.

Tableau Public

Even strength points. Rielly 5 g, 22A - 27 points; Trouba 3 goals, 17 assists - 20 points

Rielly had a better CF% last year, a better relative CF% last year. Morgan had a better Point Share 6.8 to Trouba's 4.3 last year...

Rielly had a higher QOC last year, and still showed well, despite poorer quality linemates.

Again... this isn't to tear down Trouba at all.... just be objective. Overall, they are pretty equal in their contributions, and until last year, Trouba was ahead...

Reactions: 613Leafer

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's all swell and everything, but in the real world, the ACTUAL Goals against, when on ice, and it's ratio to team save percentage, is actually pretty much the same. This against harder competition, with poorer teammates for Rielly.

When you look at GAR/82
Tableau Public

or GAR/82 5on5
Tableau Public

Rielly ends up ahead, and moreso because these stats rank his defense as better than Troubas.

Reducing "expected goals against", is wonderful and all... but what actually counts, is "actual goals against".

Again, you don't have to be so incredibly defensive about your player. He's an excellent D, and I'd love to have him on the Leafs. I think Rielly and him could make a wonderful pairing down the road. I'm just not buying the "it's not arguable" that one is far better than the other. Both Leafs fans, and Jets fans are being homers here, when really, these guys are pretty close to each other overall.
Okay, let's look at goals for %, if you don't like shot metrics.

2017/18, GF%

Trouba 55.1
Rielly 51.7

Jets had a bigger share of goals scored with Trouba on the ice than the Leafs with Rielly on the ice.

Reactions: Snowman

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
This isn't deflection...but who cares? From this Leafs fan's point of view, i want Trouba to pair WITH Rielly....they accent each other nicely, Rielly can drive the offense from the back end, Trouba provides sound defense...done. I don't even care if Rielly's partner provides offense, just be above average defensively...that's why i've been pushing for Tanev.....or pipe dream not available guys like Manson/Slavin/ McAvoy.
Understood. I just gave in and decided to have some fun with the trolls.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Okay, let's look at goals for %, if you don't like shot metrics.

2017/18, GF%

Trouba 55.1
Rielly 51.7

Jets had a bigger share of goals scored with Trouba on the ice than the Leafs with Rielly on the ice.

and actual GF while on ice, EV strength Trouba 53, Rielly 67..... you know... real numbers.

The point should be.... they are pretty close. Ignore the trolls that say Trouba is a Dud, or the natural reactionary comeback from such stupidity. Ignore the trolls who say that Trouba is better in every measurable way, as that's false too... Trouba was better prior to last season, and IMO, Rielly had a better year last year, than Trouba did.

This isn't an argument about who is better... I'm not trying to say Rielly is better. There are some stats that favour Trouba, some that favour Rielly. They'd make a hell of a pairing.... I'm not sure that is an arguable point. ;-)

Mar 26, 2010
Quite making reasonable Leafs fans look bad. That's just a brutal take.
Wrong. Rielly is way better. He scored 52 points last year. Trouba has 24. He is not better defensively Either.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
and actual GF while on ice, EV strength Trouba 53, Rielly 67..... you know... real numbers.

The point should be.... they are pretty close. Ignore the trolls that say Trouba is a Dud, or the natural reactionary comeback from such stupidity. Ignore the trolls who say that Trouba is better in every measurable way, as that's false too... Trouba was better prior to last season, and IMO, Rielly had a better year last year, than Trouba did.

This isn't an argument about who is better... I'm not trying to say Rielly is better. There are some stats that favour Trouba, some that favour Rielly. They'd make a hell of a pairing.... I'm not sure that is an arguable point. ;-)
Ummmm... Rielly played 21 more games and about 36% more ice time overall. If you adjust GF for the same ice time Trouba would have exceeded Rielly by about 73 to 67goals.

Mar 26, 2010
Love the points argument. I can only assume that Keith Yandle is ahead of Rielly in your books then too.

Krug too.
I never said Trouba was a bad D man. He is actually very very good. Rielly is also a stud D. I never said Rielly is a bonified #1 like Doughty or Karlsson though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ummmm... Rielly played 21 more games and about 36% more ice time overall. If you adjust GF for the same ice time Trouba would have exceeded Rielly by about 73 to 67goals.

Your math is off.... :laugh:... but the correct math is actually more like 84 goals... instead of 73....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00