Eklund Rumor: (WPG/TOR) Nylander for Trouba

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I don't mean to be that guy here, but you do realize that putting up 60+ points in your 1st 2 NHL seasons is pretty good...no? I will also say i am not underrating Trouba...kid is really good, would love to have him in TO.

It is good. In fact very good. Let's not forget, however, that he was not 18 years old. The guy comparing him to Seguin, Tavares and Kopitar is way out to lunch.

Kyle Connor had basically the identical PPG last year (actually very, very slightly better) and is a half year younger. Maybe the Jets should trade him for Rielly?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nylander was 20 and 21 the last 2 years.
Seguin scored 32 points in 48 games at 20 and 84 points at 21.
Kopitar had 77 points at 20
Tavares had 67 in 79 games and 81 at 20 and 21

Apples to oranges

How about Tarasenko or Kucherov? What then? Riiight.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
How about Tarasenko or Kucherov? What then? Riiight.
Some players mature at different ages. News at 11. That doesn't guarantee that Nylander will be better.

How about Kyle Connor?
One draft year younger and had 11 more goals than Nylander, and a slightly better PPG.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Some players mature at different ages. News at 11. That doesn't guarantee that Nylander will be better.

How about Kyle Connor?
One draft year younger and had 11 more goals than Nylander, and a slightly better PPG.

That's the point. Why would we trade him as a part of anything that isn't good, as in EK or Doughty good? Makes no sense, we just need to eat popcorn and see how good he can be enjoy. I don't know anyone that just randomly brings up Trouba ever in hockey circles. His most notable moment is reversing his will not sign stance and saying he wants to play in the US.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
That's the point. Why would we trade him as a part of anything that isn't good, as in EK or Doughty good?
The chances of him ever being good enough to fetch an EK or Doughty type player are pretty slim.

Makes no sense, we just need to eat popcorn and see how good he can be enjoy. I don't know anyone that just randomly brings up Trouba ever in hockey circles. His most notable moment is reversing his will not sign stance and saying he wants to play in the US.
Most Winnipeg players don't get a lot of attention. Trouba's a very solid player.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The chances of him ever being good enough to fetch an EK or Doughty type player are pretty slim.

Most Winnipeg players don't get a lot of attention. Trouba's a very solid player.

He doesn't get attention because he isn't stellar. That's why. Seguin gets attention from out of Dallas and so do a lot of other small city market players but why not Trouba? It's because he is lost in the mix for being just another player, Laine doesn't have lack of attention does he? Your guys get plenty of attention just not him because he isn't remarkable enough to garner it.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
He doesn't get attention because he isn't stellar. That's why. Seguin gets attention from out of Dallas and so do a lot of other small city market players but why not Trouba? It's because he is lost in the mix for being just another player, Laine doesn't have lack of attention does he? Your guys get plenty of attention just not him because he isn't remarkable enough to garner it.

I'm not really sure I'm following your point. Seguin is one of the top centers in the game. Laine was second in the Rocket race last year. Those 2 are top players in the NHL, and Trouba is not.

My point though, is that Nylander is not either. A guy who puts up 60 points is a solid player, but not elite. So is a defenceman who plays 21 minutes a night on a top team and puts up the results Trouba has.

Nylander was 66th in the league in scoring last year, its not like he's an Art Ross or Hart candidate.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not really sure I'm following your point. Seguin is one of the top centers in the game. Laine was second in the Rocket race last year. Those 2 are top players in the NHL, and Trouba is not.

My point though, is that Nylander is not either. A guy who puts up 60 points is a solid player, but not elite. So is a defenceman who plays 21 minutes a night on a top team and puts up the results Trouba has.

Nylander was 66th in the league in scoring last year, its not like he's an Art Ross or Hart candidate.

But he is still younger than when Kucherov and Tarasenko broke out. 66th is pretty damn good for a 22 year old, 21 then. Think about that, 21 year old season. Trouba is 24 years old, getting slower and being beat more often and as a result is getting penalized more. How many full seasons has he played? The answer... 1 full season.

Sign me right up, never. Trouba is overrated.

Reactions: RCS

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
But he is still younger than when Kucherov and Tarasenko broke out. 66th is pretty damn good for a 22 year old, 21 then. Think about that, 21 year old season.

It is damn good. Serious question though, do you know how many of the 65 players who outscored him are actually younger? I would think 10 at least, and some of them (McDavid, Barzal, Rantanen, Pasta) by 20 plus points. Again, Nylander is quite good. He's Ehlers, Connor level good. He's not as good as you are making him out to be, and will never likely be close to elite.

Would you trade Rielly for Connor?

FYI, Jeff Skinner had 63 points as an 18 year old. That's more than Nylander put up as a 21 year old. Obviously he should be able to fetch Karlsson or Doughty in a trade by now.

Trouba is 24 years old, getting slower and being beat more often and as a result is getting penalized more. How many full seasons has he played? The answer... 1 full season.

Funny, Trouba's penalty minutes have gone 62, 54, 34 in the last three years.
It's becoming quite evident that you don't watch him play.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It is damn good. Serious question though, do you know how many of the 65 players who outscored him are actually younger? I would think 10 at least, and some of them (McDavid, Barzal, Rantanen, Pasta) by 20 plus points. Again, Nylander is quite good. He's Ehlers, Connor level good. He's not as good as you are making him out to be, and will never likely be close to elite.

Would you trade Rielly for Connor?

FYI, Jeff Skinner had 63 points as an 18 year old. That's more than Nylander put up as a 21 year old. Obviously he should be able to fetch Karlsson or Doughty in a trade by now.

Funny, Trouba's penalty minutes have gone 62, 54, 34 in the last three years.
It's becoming quite evident that you don't watch him play.

The point is we don't know which way Nylander will go but perhaps our scouts feel that with his shot and lack of scoring, he is due. Nylander was missing tons of attempts last year, the shot is lethal and I think he will break 70 this year if healthy. Trouby PIM 54mins was in 60 games. Again, he has played 1 full season ever and I think that was the year he had 62, not good.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
We all know that Trouba isn't get traded without some sort of extension deal worked out in the first place.

Well we certainly don't know that. And because of the arbitration rules, no contracts extension can be talked about till January.
Trouba has certainly made it clear by his refusing to sign any l0ng term contract(s) that he desires to be a UFA as soon as he can in the summer of 2020.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maybe he doesn't get much attention from casual fans, but he gets plenty of respect from players, coaches and GMs as a top pairing shutdown D on a top team. That's especially true for coaches and GMs that are tired of seeing their D fold up in key situations and bleed goals game after game.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
But he is still younger than when Kucherov and Tarasenko broke out. 66th is pretty damn good for a 22 year old, 21 then. Think about that, 21 year old season. Trouba is 24 years old, getting slower and being beat more often and as a result is getting penalized more. How many full seasons has he played? The answer... 1 full season.

Sign me right up, never. Trouba is overrated.
Slower, yeah actually he isn't but I guess stating inaccurate things is part of a wrong opinion.

Reactions: Snowman and Huffer

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
If he does not transform into a C, he would be Jets third best RW, should I name the other 2, or can you figure it out?

Yeah except that isn't what you were referring to. You said he was a 3rd line winger, which suggests that is his value. It's like calling Malkin a 2nd line center or Subban a 2nd pairing defensemen, or why not throw out Kessel as a 3rd line winger.

I agree that Winnipeg wouldn't be interested in the trade because they are very deep up front, and the piece they need the most is actually a RHD that can match up against other teams top lines. With Byfuglien aging and not having the greatest contract, and Myers not really the best fit for the role and a UFA at the end of the year, I think it makes way more sense for Winnipeg to go with the team as is, since they are the most complete team. Take a run at it now, gives them another year for Trouba to change his mind, but if not, they still hold his rights and can likely do decent in trade with extension scenario, and figure things out in the offseason.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Not only slower, can't play a full season. Sounds like a bad investment because he is.
Not slower, but you don't have to actually be correct to post of course. Actually and this isn't being flippant it is good when posters post like this, in truth it lets others know not to put ANY value into what you/they post.

Separates worthwhile from worthless.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not slower, but you don't have to actually be correct to post of course. Actually and this isn't being flippant it is good when posters post like this, in truth it lets others know not to put ANY value into what you/they post.

Separates worthwhile from worthless.

I have seen him beat to the outside repeatedly. I know for a fact he has only completed one season. Thanks but keep your Tanev 2.0

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I have seen him beat to the outside repeatedly. I know for a fact he has only completed one season. Thanks but keep your Tanev 2.0
I have seen every d beaten to the outside. I have seen players lose in races to the puck , does that make them slower?
You simply are incorrect.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I have seen every d beaten to the outside. I have seen players lose in races to the puck , does that make them slower?
You simply are incorrect.

About his general health as well right? Yeah, that's just it you don't want to touch on the fact he has a single healthy season under his belt. That's a terrible sign for his age.

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018

That's because he came from Boston in one of the dumbest trades ever.

Boston fans are plenty and they are vocal.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It's mainly one guy, and he's quickly becoming a legend!

This goalie, let’s call him “x” has been in the nhl for five years now as a starting goalie playing 60+ games per year. I’ve seen him get beat multi times to the top glove.........clearly he has a weak glove hand. He’s obviously a questionable goalie.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Can someone please give me a link to all the rumors that Eklund has posted that have come true ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad