Eklund Rumor: (WPG/TOR) Nylander for Trouba

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I know how good he is. I just think he needs to be more consistent and stay away from injuries. He has only had 1 full season in his first 5 NHL seasons. He is tracking to be a 30-35 pts defenseman who is good in his own end. Ask me how good he is when he plays a full 82 game schedule and scores more than 40 pts.
don't disagree on the injury concerns. most consistent how? asides form Morrissey he's probably the most consistently defensively on the jets. Troubas offense has been the best on the jets 5v5 wise from the back end. hasn't been great on the PP but also hasn't gotten consistent time. what in his play needs to be more consistent? PP?

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
I know how good he is. I just think he needs to be more consistent and stay away from injuries. He has only had 1 full season in his first 5 NHL seasons. He is tracking to be a 30-35 pts defenseman who is good in his own end. Ask me how good he is when he plays a full 82 game schedule and scores more than 40 pts.
Looks like you at a stats page reader and think him sitting out games was an injury....nice detective work.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If trouba is a 4D that makes Reilly a 5-6D. And the leafs other top pairing guy Hainsey a 7-8D. Glad we set the bar.

Don't twist things. I said Trouba is an above average top 4D and a below average top 2D. He has to put up more points and stay healthy if I'm calling him a legit top pairing Defenseman. Likely the reason why the Jets won't give in to his stupid high contract demands.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Don't twist things. I said Trouba is an above average top 4D and a below average top 2D. He has to put up more points and stay healthy if I'm calling him a legit top pairing Defenseman. Likely the reason why the Jets won't give in to his stupid high contract demands.

Trouba puts up very good defensive metrics and is sent out to take the hardest minutes before Buff and Myers. His 5 on 5 scoring rates are good. He doesn't put up a tonne of overall points though because the Jets run 1 D on the PP1, and that is Buff. Myers mops up what's left on PP2. That's also because Trouba is needed on the PK1.

Stat watching without context is a poor way to evaluate a player. You think you know about this player, but you clearly don't.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Am I wrong? His career to-date has been has been delegated to the wing by his coach. None of that is hyberhole.....literally facts (outside a very small sample size). Don’t get upset with me.....it’s your coaches decision. Don’t see Babs changing his mind either, if anything it’s now even harder for Nylander to play a top 9 centre role. The past is the past, Bozak was in your top 9 centre role while Nylander played the wing. Moving forward now Nylander has no chance of winning at top six C role on the Leafs....could be few years before he beats out Kadri.....unless Kadri is traded. Nylander might be able to become at centre on another team eventually but it’s a risk to assume.
Other than "his whole career" being to age 21 and 650 faceoffs?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Trouba puts up very good defensive metrics and is sent out to take the hardest minutes before Buff and Myers. His 5 on 5 scoring rates are good. He doesn't put up a tonne of overall points though because the Jets run 1 D on the PP1, and that is Buff. Myers mops up what's left on PP2. That's also because Trouba is needed on the PK1.

Stat watching without context is a poor way to evaluate a player. You think you know about this player, but you clearly don't.
I wonder how people tones will change if he is the RHD on PP1 feeding Laine or Scheifele for the one-timers from the left dot/slot and padding his assists totals 15+ per year ala John Carlson

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

No, I actually watch the games and it's not just about stats. So not sure what you are talking about.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Sure, it will change for sure if he produces more.

the difference between carlson and trouba is carlson gets to pad his stats on the PP. Trouba can easily make a simple one time pass to laine or scheifele similar to carlson. Trouba's 5v5 scoring is much more efficient to Carlson all while playing a shut down role on the Jets.

so making a simple one time pass on the PP to pad his assists totals will propel trouba above an "above average top 4D"?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
the difference between carlson and trouba is carlson gets to pad his stats on the PP. Trouba can easily make a simple one time pass to laine or scheifele similar to carlson. Trouba's 5v5 scoring is much more efficient to Carlson all while playing a shut down role on the Jets.

so making a simple one time pass on the PP to pad his assists totals will propel trouba above an "above average top 4D"?

Fair... Like I said in a few posts ago. Talk to me when that day comes (More production and a full NHL season sample size). I don't think there is nothing wrong with saying Trouba is a above average top 4D and a below average top 2D. It's not trolling his value at all IMO.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Other than "his whole career" being to age 21 and 650 faceoffs?

Ok....so you’re saying I’m right & you agree. We all know his age and how many years he’s been in the nhl. FO is only one aspect of being a C. No one said he can’t improve moving forward, I stated any team trading for him isn’t getting a proven & responsible centre at the nhl which is a risk.....big risk if the Leafs want 2C value for him as apposed to winger value. If the Leafs would only ask for winger value ok then there is no risk but everyone of these threads Leafs fans promote his value as a C when he hasn’t earned that value to-date.

Last edited:

VoteForTavares

Jun 29, 2018
GTA
:eyeroll: sorry I meant in recent history. Stastny has ~.65 PPG in the previous 4 or 5 years to Little's ~.76. Sorry mostly doing mental math on my phone right now so those numbers might be a little off.
Still doesn't work - they both have the exact same amount of points over the past 5 seasons at 248, and Stastny has played 7 more games than Little over that time so 0.69 vs 0.71 where Little has the slightest edge at best :huh:

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
There is no twisting involved. I ma just placing players on your scale. You are basically saying you can name 62 dman that are better than trouba by a significant amount. I am saying you can't.

Reactions: Snowman

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Maybe knock off the convoluted wording and just say what you are trying not to say and call him a 2D in your opinion.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Don't they both have 40?
Naturalstatrick says 2016/17 and 2017/18...

Rielly 40 points (5v5)
Trouba 44 points (5v5)

Corsica has them tied at 40.

NHL has Rielly with one extra even-strength point.

The overall reality is that Trouba has produced at least as much even strength offense as Rielly has, and if you adjust for time on ice he's been considerably more productive. It's really not that difficult to understand but if a picture is needed for some, this shows the comparison between two defensemen who are pretty much even in offensive production, but one is considerably better at defense.

Trouba Rielly skatr 2016_18.png

Reactions: Saidin and Snowman

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Last year he had an injury, and was given plenty of time to recover for a long playoff run, where he was obviously healthy.

He missed a total of 6 games due to injury in the prior two seasons. That's hardly "injury prone".

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last year he had an injury, and was given plenty of time to recover for a long playoff run, where he was obviously healthy.

He missed a total of 6 games due to injury in the prior two seasons. That's hardly "injury prone".

Sure, but he has only played 1 full season in 5 seasons (for whatever reasons).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad