Eklund Rumor: (WPG/TOR) Nylander for Trouba

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
LOL. His whole career. Hyperbole much? Care to examine the list of top centres who didn't start their career at centre?

Am I wrong? His career to-date has been has been delegated to the wing by his coach. None of that is hyberhole.....literally facts (outside a very small sample size). Don’t get upset with me.....it’s your coaches decision. Don’t see Babs changing his mind either, if anything it’s now even harder for Nylander to play a top 9 centre role. The past is the past, Bozak was in your top 9 centre role while Nylander played the wing. Moving forward now Nylander has no chance of winning at top six C role on the Leafs....could be few years before he beats out Kadri.....unless Kadri is traded. Nylander might be able to become at centre on another team eventually but it’s a risk to assume.

Reactions: Snowman

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
You told me you had FACTS. Still waiting for some/any from you LMAO.
He's got lots of them, here's a sample!

91d0CcoP5JL._SL1500_.jpg

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Nah, trouba is gonna arbitrate himself right into UFA then ask for 9+

Rather willy at 6.5 long term and develop our own guy cough* Liljegren

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The Jets don't need another forward. Already have the best forward group in the NHL.

no team with bryan little at 2C is the best in the league. also tampa scored 17 more goals last year and has the same team....the jets lost depth when they traded armia to clear space for stastny who then bolted

1-TB - still the king
2-TOR - tavares + johnsson is an upgrade over jvr/bozak. 3rd last year so they gotta go up
3-PIT - pretty much the same as the team that tied for 3rd
4-WPG - armia can be replaced, but who replaces the dude with 15 playoff pts at 2c. Little? 49pts in 99 games....

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
no team with bryan little at 2C is the best in the league. also tampa scored 17 more goals last year and has the same team....the jets lost depth when they traded armia to clear space for stastny who then bolted

1-TB - still the king
2-TOR - tavares + johnsson is an upgrade over jvr/bozak. 3rd last year so they gotta go up
4-WPG - armia can be replaced, but who replaces the dude with 15 playoff pts at 2c. Little? 49pts in 99 games....
Armia, while a fun player to watch is easily replaced by the Jets. We have a ton of options. Yeah, we lost that depth, but when you're this deep, it doesn't hurt nearly as much as it would other teams.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

1-TB - still the king

Little had a down year. Let's see if he rebounds before counting him out. In addition let's see what Roslovic can do. Little is younger than Stastny and apart from last year has outproduced him pretty significantly.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

1-TB - still the king
Roslovic is going to be a stud. Breakout season upcoming.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Armia, while a fun player to watch is easily replaced by the Jets. We have a ton of options. Yeah, we lost that depth, but when you're this deep, it doesn't hurt nearly as much as it would other teams.
Stastny leaving will hurt. But the Jets are still solid.

Reactions: WPGNYRFan

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Well, it takes only very simple math to figure out that Trouba's actually more like a 40 point shutdown D (per 82 games), with very little PP time.

Refresher for those who don't pay attention...

5v5 points / 60

2016/17:

Trouba 1.29
Rielly 0.76

2017/18:

Trouba 1.22
Rielly 1.07

Imagine that! The "shutdown guy" produces offense at a higher rate than the prized "offensive D", while also providing "shutdown" defense.

.........but then REALITY happened, and he ended up with 24 points.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In terms of value, it should be there. But which proven 2C might be available?

If Jets trade Trouba their right side D is still solid right now but looks pretty sad in a couple of more years. Some other moves would have to be made to acquire future right D.

I don't think Trouba for Nylander works for the Jets despite the value being a good match, even if Nylander is a success at 2C.

Top 4D for a top 2C? Not sure about that. But I guess it depends on who you are getting, what age they are, and term left on the contract.

VoteForTavares

Jun 29, 2018
GTA
Little had a down year. Let's see if he rebounds before counting him out. In addition let's see what Roslovic can do. Little is younger than Stastny and apart from last year has outproduced him pretty significantly.
LOL what are you smoking? I love how people throw out "facts" like that without even knowing what they are talking about. You have a career 0.62 PPG player in Little, and a 0.78 PPG player in Stastny. Even if we delete last year you're looking at 0.64 vs. 0.79, so keep thinking that it was just last year that Stastny out-produced Little. :ha: You even threw in the word significantly lmao

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
This deal is extremely unlikely to happen, as nobody just offers up top tier young wingers or D, unless there is a situation that forces it.

The Leafs have no reason to trade for Trouba without having a clearer contract situation. They can't officially sign him until Jan 1 if they did, no way they are moving Nylander for that much risk if they feel Trouba could force his way out.

The Jets don't need to trade Trouba right now. He plays the position they need the most, as they have no one capable of doing what he does in the system where as they have Rosovlic potentially able to be the center they need. Jets are better off just using up this last year of Trouba and moving him next summer. Maybe they get a little less at that time, but it's worth taking a run at it with him in the line up for a team that is a definite contender.

In the very short term, the Leafs would improve more from this deal than Winnipeg. Toronto's hole at RD is large, and no one really likely to fill it in the next 12 months. But having the situation they have now, with two top 10 centers playing with high end wingers is a big appeal to their depth, so it's not as if it comes without a cost, and the Trouba situation makes it difficult to know if you are getting long term value.

The Jets hole at 2C is a little exaggerated, and Rosolovic could step in and if not take that role, he could insulate Little enough by creating a great 3rd line that it's a non issue. Nylander is likely more talented than either, but still not a proven commodity at C, and he has far less value to the team as a winger, so in the short run, there isn't enough to gain.

I saw a comment about the Leafs leaking these rumors, but it came from Eklund. Nobody leaked anything, it's just that everyone has been talking about the Leafs trading one of Marner or Nylander for help on D for awhile, and now that Marner has had a great season and strong playoff, Nylander is the whipping boy in these discussions. I very much doubt there has been any discussion about trading Nylander. If they were open to the idea, he would likely be playing in Calgary right now and the Leafs would be trotting out Hamilton on the right side to start the season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Top 4D for a top 2C? Not sure about that. But I guess it depends on who you are getting, what age they are, and term left on the contract.

Not sure of your point here. What is it you aren't sure about, the value? Which way?

It is mischaracterizing it to call Trouba a top 4D. He is that, but he is more accurately a top 2D.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I assume he means Little has outperformed Stastny lately. Over the last 4-5 years. I don’t know if it’s been significant, but I would agree Little has been more productive. Just need Maurice to play him with Wheeler IMO, which probably ain’t happening.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure of your point here. What is it you aren't sure about, the value? Which way?

It is mischaracterizing it to call Trouba a top 4D. He is that, but he is more accurately a top 2D.

Trouba is a above average top 4D and a below average top 2D. I don't think you are getting the #2C you think you can get (especially a young talent). This is my point.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
LOL what are you smoking? I love how people throw out "facts" like that without even knowing what they are talking about. You have a career 0.62 PPG player in Little, and a 0.78 PPG player in Stastny. Even if we delete last year you're looking at 0.64 vs. 0.79, so keep thinking that it was just last year that Stastny out-produced Little. :ha: You even threw in the word significantly lmao
yes because Bryan Little with his years in ATL is fully comparable to his situation today, similar to Paul Stastny when he was top lining for COL, the situations are different. Over the last 3 seasons Little vs Stastny PPG is identical.

The OP is wrong in saying significantly, they have been identical through their late 20s-early 30s

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trouba is a above average top 4D and a below average top 2D. I don't think you are getting the #2C you think you can get (especially a young talent). This is my point.

Well, that is just wrong. Trouba is so clearly a first pair D, I don't know why you would even consider calling him 2nd pair. The only debate is whether he is a true #1 or more accurately a #2D. This has already been argued extensively in this thread. I'm not going to repeat the whole thing. I thought it was finished.

Trouba's rating is not what gets in the way of the return. It is only his contract status limiting it.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

:eyeroll: sorry I meant in recent history. Stastny has ~.65 PPG in the previous 4 or 5 years to Little's ~.76. Sorry mostly doing mental math on my phone right now so those numbers might be a little off.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well, that is just wrong. Trouba is so clearly a first pair D, I don't know why you would even consider calling him 2nd pair. The only debate is whether he is a true #1 or more accurately a #2D. This has already been argued extensively in this thread. I'm not going to repeat the whole thing. I thought it was finished.

Trouba's rating is not what gets in the way of the return. It is only his contract status limiting it.

If Trouba is a top paring D, so is Petry. Sorry, I think Trouba can be a top pairing D man (based on line-up arraignments) but he is a below average top pairing Defenseman to me. Trouba has to do a lot more if he wants to be a legit top 2D.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he's much more than an above average top 4D. His 5v5 scoring efficiency is quite underrated it seems

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-15_9-6-23.png
    upload_2018-8-15_9-6-23.png
    57 KB · Views: 8

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
he's much more than an above average top 4D. His 5v5 scoring efficiency is quite underrated it seems

I know how good he is. I just think he needs to be more consistent and stay away from injuries. He has only had 1 full season in his first 5 NHL seasons. He is tracking to be a 30-35 pts defenseman who is good in his own end. Ask me how good he is when he plays a full 82 game schedule and scores more than 40 pts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad