Eklund Rumor: (WPG/TOR) Nylander for Trouba

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Trouba is a top paring D, so is Petry. Sorry, I think Trouba can be a top pairing D man (based on line-up arraignments) but he is a below average top pairing Defenseman to me. Trouba has to do a lot more if he wants to be a legit top 2D.

Jeesus! Some people just won't give up. This has been argued - and demonstrated pretty conclusively. If I wanted to take a harder position I'd be saying Trouba is top 25-30 in the league - and there is plenty to back that up, but I'll settle for legit top pair to avoid further argument. I don't want to go through it all again. Its been done. You've been in this thread. You've seen it.

He plays top pair for one of the better teams in the league. He takes the toughest matchups. The only thing he doesn't do is score on the PP, which he doesn't get the time on due to playing behind a couple of very good PP Dmen. Jets play a 4F, 1D system so there is very little PP TOI to go around.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Don't twist things. I said Trouba is an above average top 4D and a below average top 2D. He has to put up more points and stay healthy if I'm calling him a legit top pairing Defenseman. Likely the reason why the Jets won't give in to his stupid high contract demands.

What stupid high contract demands? Neither side has said - or leaked - a single word about asks and offers. Unless you are Kevin Overhart you don't know squat about what he has asked for.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fair... Like I said in a few posts ago. Talk to me when that day comes (More production and a full NHL season sample size). I don't think there is nothing wrong with saying Trouba is a above average top 4D and a below average top 2D. It's not trolling his value at all IMO.

But it is. You are saying that because he has had injuries he moves down from top pair to 2nd pair. What kind of logic is that? 2nd pair D normally get injured more? No. If he misses a couple of more games is he a 3rd pair D? How does that work exactly?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
why would Winnipeg trade Trouba? Does he want to leave? If so don't expect fair value,. Yeah I know business can be ruthless. We will give you a 2nd and take our chances on extending him.

Mar 26, 2010
why would Winnipeg trade Trouba? Does he want to leave? If so don't expect fair value,. Yeah I know business can be ruthless. We will give you a 2nd and take our chances on extending him.
He wants out badly. He apparently hates it in Winnipeg. Good player, but other teams know he wants out, so that does not help Winnipeg out on trade value.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
If not for center Jets RW depth is not very good, this would help
Wheeler, Laine, Roslovic, Tanev, Dano are all RW. Little is a natural RW moved to C. Vesalainen should be entering the system this year and Appleton was something like 4th in AHL scoring as a rookie.

If this is a lack of depth, no team has depth at any position. I'll go out on a limb and say this is by far the best collection of RW in the last decade.

Reactions: Snowman

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Jeesus! Some people just won't give up. This has been argued - and demonstrated pretty conclusively. If I wanted to take a harder position I'd be saying Trouba is top 25-30 in the league - and there is plenty to back that up, but I'll settle for legit top pair to avoid further argument. I don't want to go through it all again. Its been done. You've been in this thread. You've seen it.

He plays top pair for one of the better teams in the league. He takes the toughest matchups. The only thing he doesn't do is score on the PP, which he doesn't get the time on due to playing behind a couple of very good PP Dmen. Jets play a 4F, 1D system so there is very little PP TOI to go around.
Not to mention that he already takes a lot of pk shifts, which are a lot more draining than pp minutes. We might have a better pp if he was on it, but we'd have a much worse pk if he was taken off of it. A lot of people just looking at total points.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
Wheeler, Laine, Roslovic, Tanev, Dano are all RW. Little is a natural RW moved to C. Vesalainen should be entering the system this year and Appleton was something like 4th in AHL scoring as a rookie.

If this is a lack of depth, no team has depth at any position. I'll go out on a limb and say this is by far the best collection of RW in the last decade.
You will often see Laine on the LW, if wheeler is not resigned after this year then our RW Is trash.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Why does Toronto even consider this if Trouba doesnt sign with them.

And the last thing Winnipeg needs is more wingers, especially rwers.

Because Toronto org thinks theu could make a push for the cup

You would have 2 years of Trouba which would greatly increase the leafs defense
The leafs would be better for 2 years
Sometimes some of these gms take gambles for a cup

I k ow leafs fans hate the idea of trading their young players
But it's like they think defense will fix themselves and that can grab every player without giving up anything

If leafs fans really felt like Toronto could win within the next 2 years. Trouba for 2 years would help increase the odds

I'd consider Liljegren and Nylander for Trouba and a 1st or something.

I think to get lil jets would have to add a 1st and a prospect in this package deal

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

But it's like they think defense will fix themselves and that can grab every player without giving up anything

If leafs fans really felt like Toronto could win within the next 2 years. Trouba for 2 years would help increase the odds

I think to get lil jets would have to add a 1st and a prospect in this package deal
I'm not a Leafs fan, but valid points. I still dont think it makes sense for either side.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'm not a Leafs fan, but valid points. I still dont think it makes sense for either side.

Was not implying you were

I don't think neither side does it either(lol)
But would the leafs not look legit with Trouba on the right side?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

The Leafs defence can fix itself. No Polak. Full year of Dermott. No Bozak and JVR liabilities. Strongest centre depth. Those all can play an important role in fixing a team's defense without needing to worry about a contract headache like Trouba Almighty.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
The Leafs defence can fix itself. No Polak. Full year of Dermott. No Bozak and JVR liabilities. Strongest centre depth. Those all can play an important role in fixing a team's defense without needing to worry about a contract headache like Trouba Almighty.

No they cant. Not in 2 years unless you make a roster change

Or unless the least likely possibility all of your average to poor defensman suddenly get better

It's a good thing the leafs gm is better his job than how the leafs fans think
"We don't need to do anything. Everything will fix itself on it's own"/logic

Gm just made a big move to acquire a top centre
Think he's looking for the leafs to compete
Not wait out years for things to hopefully fix themselves

Maybe you don't like the move, because you think toekbto can acquire everything for free without giving anything up
Kinda like how leafs fans Like to act like they didn't give up any players to get Tavares

Just a lazy way to think that defense doesn't need improvement
Maybe it's not Trouba the leafs get
But
Part of the reason the jets were better was because they had a better overall team and that includes defense

Leafs fans have been about wrong with every prediction so far. Let's see if we can keep this thing going

Reactions: Snowman

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
No they cant. Not in 2 years unless you make a roster change

Or unless the least likely possibility all of your average to poor defensman suddenly get better

It's a good thing the leafs gm is better his job than how the leafs fans think
"We don't need to do anything. Everything will fix itself on it's own"/logic

Gm just made a big move to acquire a top centre
Think he's looking for the leafs to compete
Not wait out years for things to hopefully fix themselves

Maybe you don't like the move, because you think toekbto can acquire everything for free without giving anything up
Kinda like how leafs fans Like to act like they didn't give up any players to get Tavares

Are you gonna even address my points or are you just gonna stubbornly say no no Leaf defence is bad and that's it. Leafs defence was average last year. And that was mostly with Polak occupying the 5th dman spot. Leafs made a change 2/3 into last year bringing Dermott up which solidifies the bottom pair. There are internal solutions to improve the D that don't require any massive changes and threats to the forward core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad