Eklund Rumor: (WPG/TOR) Nylander for Trouba

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
he has 9 goals and 13 assists for 22 points in those 42 games. he played center for his entire career until he reached the nhl.

He had 13 in 22 as a 19 year old rookie. He played well in his 20ish games this year and had similar production. Decent but not remarkable.

He played C in both the AHL (77 points in 75 games, age 18 and 19) and the SHL.

Edited my numbers.

Nylander did not play 20 games at C this year. The assumption is that he did because Matthews missed 20 games with injury (but during the first 8 of those games, Nylander only played C once, and over the final 12 he played C for 10 and a half).

When Matthews missed 4 games in November, Marleau was switched to C, and Nylander played on Kadri's wing (with Komarov).

During the December stretch when Matthews missed 6 games:
Game 1 - Nylander played C against Edmonton (between Hyman and Brown). Toronto won 1-0 on a goal scored in the first minute of the game. Nylander assisted on it.
Games 2 - 4 Marleau was again shifted to C, and Nylander again played on Kadri's wing.
Games 5 and 6 against Carolina and Columbus, Nylander played C (between Marleau and Hyman) scoring a goal in the first game and getting an assist in the second game.

During the 10 game stretch that Matthews missed in February/March. Nylander played Center for the first two games (between Hyman and Marner) getting 2 assists.
For the third game Plek centered Nylander and Hyman.
This was also the case for the first half of the next game, but as it sucked, late in the second period Nylander was shifted to C between Hyman and Marner.
For the next 6 games Nylander played C - always with Hyman on the one wing, and with Brown, Marner, Marleau or Johnsson on the other wing.

In total last season he played 11 1/2 games at C with 2 goals and 6 assists for 8 points.

Regardless, Nylander can easily play C. And he would likely be playing C if he was on almost any other NHL team. He would probably struggle at least for now against top competition, but has shown that he can play well against 2nd line competition.

I prefer Nylander on the wing with Matthews. I would oppose any trade of Nylander for Trouba (not that my opinion matters), and I don't think that Dubas would consider Trouba, nor do I think that Trouba will fetch a return anywhere near Nylander.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
bad trade of Winnipeg, Winnipegs top 6 is stacked, they don't need to trade a top 4dman for a foward, this just pushes one of their existing top 6 into a 3rd line role, stupid offer to be honest.

24 point dman in 55 games bares more value then a European winger with no grit who has 60 points as a forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pongs21

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If this kind of deal happens, cool. If not, cool.

Leafs right now are stacked on the wing and light on RHD.
If the deal happens, they are still above average on the wing but improve their RHD allot.

The real question (IMO) is will the difference in being able to keep a Marner-Tavares, Matthews-Nylander on the ice for 65ish% of the game better or worse than having Marner-Tavares and Matthews-Kapanen but still adding a Trouba type.

Its can all be argued (IMO) from both sides depending on the +'s on either side and the size/length of the final contracts.
I.e if the deal is Nylander @6.5x8 for Trouba @7x8 a good deal? What if Nylander is 6x8, or Trouba is 7.5x8? The devil may end up being in the total length and cost ofthe extensions just as much as each players specific value going into next year.

Reactions: Flair Hay

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Jets fan here. If WPG sees Nylander as being capable of 2nd line C duties (I believe it but haven't watched him enough to actually have an informed opinion) this move would be fine for me. Trouba is good but it seems like he doesn't like it here.

But honestly, I don't see this happening unless Trouba unofficially confirms to the Leafs he wants to play there long-term.

Reactions: TML1967

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But here is the problem. I understand he doesn't fit for the Jets but do you think you are getting a proven #2C for Trouba?

In terms of value, it should be there. But which proven 2C might be available?

If Jets trade Trouba their right side D is still solid right now but looks pretty sad in a couple of more years. Some other moves would have to be made to acquire future right D.

I don't think Trouba for Nylander works for the Jets despite the value being a good match, even if Nylander is a success at 2C.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actually, I'd just prefer to keep Trouba. If we did trade him for a forward, I don't think there would be a problem getting a legit 2C at least for him.

Well of course. But that doesn't appear to be an option.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's been pretty widely stated that he wants to play in Detroit. point is, if he doesn't agree to sign with an interested team, then i doubt you will be getting a young 2C in return. And so far, he hasn't exactly been a peach when it comes to contract negotiations.

Its been pretty widely speculated. He has never said that.

But we only get value for him if the buyer knows they can sign him, one way or another.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Don't believe everything you read from those trying to get blog hits or sell papers. :) Immediately after his exit interview Trouba stated he hoped to stay with the Jets long term & wanted a deal asap.
That only changed after he met with Overhart & yet again Trouba let his agent overrule his expressed wish. :(
With Overhart it's about who is willing to pay the $s as that increases his % & what the client wants is secondary. Chevy doesn't play his games & is patient enough to wait until he gets what he wants (that replacement or a proven 2C).
Using Trouba for a Cup run is better for Wpg. than trading him for something they don't need. It also buys time to see if Roslovic can assume that 2C role as hoped.
Then there is next year to make the hard decission on Trouba like the NYIs had to with Travares & the Sens are currently doing with Karlsson, Stone & Duchene.
With ice water running through his veins Chevy will not be pushed into a bad deal just to satisfy Overhart.

Are you using Tavares as an example of how to do this right?

I agree Chevy will be patient but Trouba's value can only go down from here.

Pickle Rick

Nov 11, 2016
Started to read through a few pages in the thread and seems like the typical Leafs vs Jets fanbase fights. I think there are two completely different scenarios at play here depending on whether or not Trouba has a gentleman's agreement with Toronto to extend longterm in January. If that agreement is in place then I feel Toronto would for sure have to add to Nylander to get Trouba, might have to put it down as "conditional picks if he re-signs" to make it official for the NHL's purposes. 1 for 1 if there is an agreement I would hate the trade as a Jets fan. But if there is no agreement, then Trouba won't get Nylander in return, meaning I would love if the Jets made the trade and would push for him to be our 2C even at the risk of stalling Roslo's development.

A lot of the arguing I've read here is simply because the goalposts aren't clearly established and people have valid points both ways and they all end up mixed in together. Maybe if people preface their opinion by saying it is under the assumption that Trouba is traded for as a longterm Leaf or if their opinion is based on Trouba possibly being short term Leaf (no certainty).

Reactions: TS Quint

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Started to read through a few pages in the thread and seems like the typical Leafs vs Jets fanbase fights. I think there are two completely different scenarios at play here depending on whether or not Trouba has a gentleman's agreement with Toronto to extend longterm in January. If that agreement is in place then I feel Toronto would for sure have to add to Nylander to get Trouba, might have to put it down as "conditional picks if he re-signs" to make it official for the NHL's purposes. 1 for 1 if there is an agreement I would hate the trade as a Jets fan. But if there is no agreement, then Trouba won't get Nylander in return, meaning I would love if the Jets made the trade and would push for him to be our 2C even at the risk of stalling Roslo's development.

A lot of the arguing I've read here is simply because the goalposts aren't clearly established and people have valid points both ways and they all end up mixed in together. Maybe if people preface their opinion by saying it is under the assumption that Trouba is traded for as a longterm Leaf or if their opinion is based on Trouba possibly being short term Leaf (no certainty).

No way would Toronto have to add, to get Trouba, if Nylander was seriously in play. Nylander is a top-line player anywhere.

Moot point tho, but I seriously doubt either player is being traded.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
No way would Toronto have to add, to get Trouba, if Nylander was seriously in play. Nylander is a top-line player anywhere.

Moot point tho, but I seriously doubt either player is being traded.
Toronto would most definitely be adding. A winger that would be on the third line on the Jets definitely is not getting a top pairing defenseman.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Toronto would most definitely be adding. A winger that would be on the third line on the Jets definitely is not getting a top pairing defenseman.

LOL. Wrong.

Nylander at age 19/20 was a multi-year 61 point player. Very soon he'll be an 80-90 point guy........definitely NOT a "3rd liner" as you suggest.

And your 24 pt. shutdown guy is alright, but not worth Nylander plus more.

Delusional.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
LOL. Wrong.

Nylander at age 19/20 was a multi-year 61 point player. Very soon he'll be an 80-90 point guy........definitely NOT a "3rd liner" as you suggest.

Delusional.
Yes, you are delusional. Nylander isn't better than Laine, Wheeler, Connor or Ehlers. So, yes a third liner on the Jets.

Go and offer Nylander around and see how many teams will give you a top pairing defenseman. Spoiler. None.

Don't worry though, the Jets wouldn't have any interest in Nylander for Trouba, so you won't have to worry about it.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
LOL. Wrong.

Delusional.
if he gets the ice time ..hes 4th best forward not counting kadri marleau ,,kds agent knows he has no leverage .
if he holds out hes gone

Reactions: Snowman

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
bad trade of Winnipeg, Winnipegs top 6 is stacked, they don't need to trade a top 4dman for a foward, this just pushes one of their existing top 6 into a 3rd line role, stupid offer to be honest.

24 point dman in 55 games bares more value then a European winger with no grit who has 60 points as a forward.

More 5v5 points and more ES points than any Jet.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Yes, you are delusional. Nylander isn't better than Laine, Wheeler, Connor or Ehlers. So, yes a third liner on the Jets.

Go and offer Nylander around and see how many teams will give you a top pairing defenseman. Spoiler. None.

Don't worry though, the Jets wouldn't have any interest in Nylander for Trouba, so you won't have to worry about it.

LMAO. Hilarious, son.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Are you using Tavares as an example of how to do this right?

I agree Chevy will be patient but Trouba's value can only go down from here.
Quite the opposite. Unless Trouba signs long term this year or by the next draft day the Jets might as well use him for a run in 2019 playoffs & then trade him while the returns are good. A good season & playoffs (not to mention wearing a nice shiny SC ring) would only increase his value unlike what the gloom & doom sayers mention about the 1 less year of team control. A team that figures they can sign him long term will care less about that RFA year as they'll look more @ the cost of buying 8 years of UFA. As a returning player they can go 8 rather than 7.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Trouba with a small add could land Nylander.
Leafs would need the gaurantee Trouba would re-sign though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad