Confirmed Trade: [WPG/TOR] Nic Petan for Par Lindholm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
His most common linemate during his time in winnipeg was chris thorburn. Not exactly an ideal line mate when judging what you have in a young player.
I figured it was a player like that. Sometimes skilled guys just need a chance in the top 9. We had skilled guys like Kapanen and Johnsson who got the 4th line treatment for a bit and it worked out. Both were clearly too skilled to get such little minutes with 4th line players much less skilled. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend Petan will be the same as them but the vast majority of the time, players produce a hell of a lot more when they get bumped up in the lineup. I'm hoping Petan doesnt run into the same issues here getting a chance. Winnipeg and Toronto have arguably the deepest forward groups in the league. Not easy to get minutes if you're breaking into the league.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
His most common linemate during his time in winnipeg was chris thorburn. Not exactly an ideal line mate when judging what you have in a young player.
Same linemate as undrafted tanev when he started who worked his way up to the 3rd line.
Not to mention when ever he did play with thorburn and an injury happened up the line up and someone had to get bumped up to top 6 it was thorburn. Every time.

Last edited:
Reactions: libertarian

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Petan > Lindholm

Good deal for leafs

Never seen Lindholm play but it will not take much to be better then Petan at the NHL level. From what Leaf fans have said about Lindholm is he is ok defensibly which would make him much more valuable to the Jets then Petan. Petan has no defence and can only produce points when playing on the top 6. Since he could not play on the Jets top 6 he had no place on the Jets. My guess is this will be his fait on the Leafs also. Was a Petan fan and had hope he would be traded to a bottom feeder team that would play him with offences players in their top 6. Don't see this likely for him playing for the Leafs. Unless the Leafs have many major injuries to their top six I don't see Petan playing any role for Babcock.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Sorry Jets fans. Can't imagine Lindholm is good enough to crack your roster.

Neither could Petan which makes it a wash. This is a trade where both teams are trading players that are not good enough to play for the team. I think both teams are hoping that a change in scenery might wake the player up. Odds are that nether player will ever be even a minor impact player for either teams.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Don't know what you're hoping to pull out of Lindholm tbh. Project for homework that's been completed but got a D+.

Unfortunately the same can be said of Petan. I think both teams took a chance that a change of scenery might wake up a the player to a decent NHL level. Don't know about Lindholm but Petan was never going to play for the Jets full time. Not good enough.

Last edited:

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
He’s got the same blind spot as Maurice. Poor Petan. Been a tough year with losing his dad and all.

Duke I always like your post but what blind spot does Maurice has when it comes to Petan? Not good enough to play in the top 9 offensively and not good enough defensively to play on the 4 line. He is a good AHL player that cannot keep up with the NHL play. Unless he plays for a bottom feeding NHL team he has no role at the NHL level.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Petan was never given a fair shake with the Jets but he also hasn't earned it. He doesn't fit in with the speed, physicality and size of the team.
He loves to slow the play down.

That said, give him skilled linemates in a top 6 role and he could flourish.

If he was traded to LA or Ottowa he might get this chance but with the Leafs I don't see it.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Lindholm is a fine 4th liner and tries hard but he is basically just a minute muncher who is defensively responsible but wont put up any points

Not that I think he will play for the Jets unless there are major injuries if he can play a decent defensive game on the 4th line then he is a upgrade on Petan.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If he was traded to LA or Ottowa he might get this chance but with the Leafs I don't see it.
I think it's unlikely he gets a shot or breaks out here, but the Leafs tend to run more of a top 9/energy line set up, compared to Winnipeg's, elite top line (Scheifele), secondary scoring line (was Little, now Hayes), shutdown line (Lowry) and 4th/energy line. The Jets set up is much closer to a traditional top 6/bottom 6. That set-up may make it more likely for Petan to get a better shot with players who suit the role he tries to play. We are also a bit weak on left shot wingers. With the trade of Grundstrom, and a potential Marleau retirement, he may have a shot at a top 9 role on the LW next year. Most of our top 9 wingers are a right shot (Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Hyman and Brown), with Hyman constantly playing his off-side.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I think it's unlikely he gets a shot or breaks out here, but the Leafs tend to run more of a top 9/energy line set up, compared to Winnipeg's, elite top line (Scheifele), secondary scoring line (was Little, now Hayes), shutdown line (Lowry) and 4th/energy line. The Jets set up is much closer to a traditional top 6/bottom 6. That set-up may make it more likely for Petan to get a better shot with players who suit the role he tries to play. We are also a bit weak on left shot wingers. With the trade of Grundstrom, and a potential Marleau retirement, he may have a shot at a top 9 role on the LW next year. Most of our top 9 wingers are a right shot (Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Hyman and Brown), with Hyman constantly playing his off-side.

As someone who was a fan of Petan when he was in Jr and playing for Canada I hope your right that he gets a chance playing for the Leafs, Honestly I don't see it. Bakcock is a lot like Maurice and won't play bad defensive players unless they can score. Petan is to slow at the NHL level to play good defence or offence so while he may be given a chance to play for a few games he will not make the team. Petan has great vision and is a great passer but only if he plays with high skilled players. Don't see that happening with the Leafs. They just have to much talent that will play ahead of Petan just like it was for him with the Jets. This is why I was hoping he be traded to a bottom NHL team where he may get a chance to play regularly with skilled players. On the Leafs I just don't see it.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Kyle Dubas made a point of saying that they are confident the Leafs' Skill Development staff can help develop Petan. Canuck fans who are pleased with Leivo's overall game would be shocked to see tapes of his skating 3 years ago! Also, Brown, Hyman, Johnsson, Moore, Kapanen, Marner, Gauthier and Kadri have all significantly improved their skill! Next season Ennis and Marleau will be gone and Petan will have a great opportunity to get regular ice time in the bottom 6.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Kyle Dubas made a point of saying that they are confident the Leafs' Skill Development staff can help develop Petan. Canuck fans who are pleased with Leivo's overall game would be shocked to see tapes of his skating 3 years ago! Also, Brown, Hyman, Johnsson, Moore, Kapanen, Marner, Gauthier and Kadri have all significantly improved their skill! Next season Ennis and Marleau will be gone and Petan will have a great opportunity to get regular ice time in the bottom 6.
idk man, depending on how the rest of the season and playoffs go, we might resign ennis.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

Marleau not in that lineup isn't a given.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
Petan was passed by Tanev,Copp,Roslovic,Appleton,Lemeuix,I don't think it's got anything to do with the coach or player development,(which the Jets are good at).Most drafted players don't make it in the NHL.Petan will be one of them.I will be shocked as heck if he is playing regularly for any team in 3 or 4 years.I think especially on teams like Winnipeg and Toronto.

Reactions: smitty10

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
NHL coaches have preferences or even vendettas against certain players constantly. Even if we want to believe that the best players always play, it’s very clearly not true. Paul Maurice frequently showed a preference for very limited skill set grinders to young, smaller players with lots of talent but minimal grit.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
can we boil this entire thread down to one sentence so i don't have to read 341 posts?
Petan has a chance to turn it around in Toronto.

Par Lindholm doesn't really do anything memorable, bad or good.

I tried in one, I can't.

Reactions: The3rd

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Does Lindholm have any chance of getting into the Jets lineup? Or is this just a purposeless change of scenery?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
can we boil this entire thread down to one sentence so i don't have to read 341 posts?

This is a nothing trade for depth pieces; Par Lindholm is a pure depth guy and Nic Petan might get the chance to develop in Toronto, maybe.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I think Petan will be able to fit in with the cheap bottom-6 that the Leafs will inevitably need to have in the next couple of years in order to keep their core intact, and will bring more overall than Lindholm. Leafs' bottom-6 will be on average less than $1M per player overall (assumong Johnsson re-signs and Hyman/Brown are dealt)

Leafs top-7: Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Kadri, Marleau, Kapanen (about $52M)
Leafs bottom-6: Johnsson, Moore, Petan, Gauthier, Bracco, Baptiste (about $5.5M)

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Does Lindholm have any chance of getting into the Jets lineup? Or is this just a purposeless change of scenery?

He might with an injury or two. I think it was more about getting Petan out and having someone to sit on the bench so we could send Appleton down to the AHL for their playoff push.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I think Petan will be able to fit in with the cheap bottom-6 that the Leafs will inevitably need to have in the next couple of years in order to keep their core intact, and will bring more overall than Lindholm. Leafs' bottom-6 will be on average less than $1M per player overall (assumong Johnsson re-signs and Hyman/Brown are dealt)

Leafs top-7: Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Kadri, Marleau, Kapanen (about $52M)
Leafs bottom-6: Johnsson, Moore, Petan, Gauthier, Bracco, Baptiste (about $5.5M)

Johnsson is getting at least 3 million...you do know he’s almost at 20 goals right

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Johnsson is getting at least 3 million...you do know he’s almost at 20 goals right

In Brown's rookie season he scored 20 with no PP time and signed for $2.1mx3. He sported a Sh% that at the time was probably considered pretty high for him (14%), which turned out to be true.

Johnsson is on pace for more than 20, plays PP, and is sporting a ridiculous Sh% of 20% (probably considered pretty high for him...), and does not play PK.

Brown signed for 2.8% of cap, which would be equivalent to $2.3m if the cap is at $83m next season. My point is that based on goals, I don't see anything obvious that Johnsson would be paid more than $3m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad