Confirmed Trade: [WPG/TOR] Nic Petan for Par Lindholm

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
This is all still bull $hit in my eyes.....
no grit, no dman balance, no playoff experience
Boston is gunna hurt a couple players on Toronto with there heavy forechecking and Dubis and babcock are gunna have that stupid ass look on there face like .... well we tryed and there’s always next year. God this dead line pissed me off grrrrrr
Did you honestly expect them to do anything more? This is about the long haul, not using all you assets for 1 year

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Lindholm is pretty bad, unless he's the worst player on your 4th line. he's decent at killing penalties, but not great. All in all a pretty bland 13th forward. ideally he doesn't play much
We're not going to play him at all, don't worry about it.

I don't like this trade for the simple fact that I'd have liked to see Petan on a team short on forwards so he'd get a chance to play. He's spent almost the whole season in the press box.

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Can Petan play LW? Otherwise don’t see how he cracks the lineup.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
An oh so unexpected comeback for L.A.

This might be the wrong thread.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
As a Leaf fan, at first glance, I don't like this deal.

To me, Lindholm, although invisible, is a useful player that can fill a spot on the 3rd line if/when injuries happen. We've got enough firepower and creativity, we need "glue" guys.

That being said, I understand why they made this deal. I think the Leafs realize that this isn't the year they're going to win a cup. It's a year to overcome the demons of the Boston Bruins, and hopefully give Tampa a run for their money.

They're going to have a cap crunch next year, and it's going to be the depth forwards that they have to find some bargains / really cheap forwards. They've got that with Trevor Moore @ $775k and Frederik Gauthier at @ $675k. They'll get that with Nic Petan, who really isn't going to be in a position to command anything even if he lights the world on fire over the next 20 games. After trading Grundstrom and their first in the Muzzin deal, they really don't have much coming in the way of forward prospects. Petan is a guy that could fill an offensive role, especially if they do end up having to move Nylander.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
On paper Leafs win this trade but short term it makes no sense. Petan is basically a lesser version of Brown and Ennis and not what the Leafs need

On paper, considering that both the Leafs and Jets are top-end teams, the Jets win this deal. They get the guy who can contribute more today.

Next year, the Leafs will be left with something.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
After the way the 4th line played tonight, I think this might get crazy.

Jets fans have been saying he needs playmakers with him, and hasnt been given a shot, well I think if he centers Ennis and Moore, he might have found a match

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
On paper, considering that both the Leafs and Jets are top-end teams, the Jets win this deal. They get the guy who can contribute more today.

Next year, the Leafs will be left with something.
This was a nice way of getting rid of him instead of benching someone you've recruited overseas.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
other then his short stints in the NHL

he has outstanding numbers when he gets to play with like minded,,, skilled players.

a small,,small ish water bug with skill is not really what the jets are about

our 3rd line is about speed and skill.

Outstanding junior numbers.
Justin Azevedo also had outstanding junior numbers.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Outstanding junior numbers.
Justin Azevedo also had outstanding junior numbers.
upload_2019-2-26_1-31-3.jpeg

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Can Petan play LW? Otherwise don’t see how he cracks the lineup.

This move is clearly for next season. They will keep him as a depth guy, groom him and get him on a cost certain bridge deal. Kadri is likely on his way out in the off-season, and possibly connor brown. Definitely going to be some opportunities for him. He needs to find a way to play heavier though, going to need to work on his ability to force turn overs and play through contact along the boards. Ennis is a prime example of a guy thats rejuvenated his career here. Leafs want to do the same for Petan.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Realistically Lindholm wasn’t either but we didn’t have anything better until Gauthier was graduated to the leafs. Now we have Ennis-Gauthier-Brown not sure Petan even plays regularly

But the Jets didn't trade for Lindholm to start or even play at all this season realistically.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
As a Leaf fan, at first glance, I don't like this deal.

To me, Lindholm, although invisible, is a useful player that can fill a spot on the 3rd line if/when injuries happen. We've got enough firepower and creativity, we need "glue" guys.

That being said, I understand why they made this deal. I think the Leafs realize that this isn't the year they're going to win a cup. It's a year to overcome the demons of the Boston Bruins, and hopefully give Tampa a run for their money.

They're going to have a cap crunch next year, and it's going to be the depth forwards that they have to find some bargains / really cheap forwards. They've got that with Trevor Moore @ $775k and Frederik Gauthier at @ $675k. They'll get that with Nic Petan, who really isn't going to be in a position to command anything even if he lights the world on fire over the next 20 games. After trading Grundstrom and their first in the Muzzin deal, they really don't have much coming in the way of forward prospects. Petan is a guy that could fill an offensive role, especially if they do end up having to move Nylander.

I don't think lacking firepower and creativity automatically makes you a "glue" guy. Lindholm was a fine 4th liner, but he doesn't score, he doesn't hit, he doesn't really do anything, he was just sort of there.

Petan probably isn't playing this season unless there are injuries. So in the short-term the trade is more about getting Moore on the roster and there's no denying he's been far, far better than Lindholm. In the long-term it's an extra guy with some offensive upside who will cost next to nothing against the cap for the next couple years.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Lindholm is a replacement level player at best but he does one useful NHL level thing, kill penalties. He is a step slow to ever become anything better, IMO. I presume the Jets obtained him as a piece of depth insurance, more or less the forward equivalent of Beaulieu and the other guy whose name escapes me. Understandable reasoning, IMO.

Petan may not even be a replacement level player. His future career path may be a year or two in the AHL, then a remunerative career in the Swiss or German leagues where he will probably be a top scorer. But there is always the possibility that a fresh start and new management eyes will cause his latent offensive skills to emerge. This is more likely to happen next year than this when the Leafs will have to shed some forwards for cap reasons ... if it ever does.

An earlier poster raised an important consideration for the Leafs this season. The trade makes room for Moore on the fourth line. That could be an immediate step forward for the Leafs.

I can’t see the fans of either team getting very excited, one way or the other, about this trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad