Contract Termination: [WPG] Sami Niku (cleared; signs with MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Would rather have kept him and dumped Beaulieu
Hard disagree.

I feel comfortable with Beaulieu filling in for injuries and playing solid 5v5 and PK minutes for us in big games. If Niku was our guy coming in for injuries I would be nervous every time he touched the ice, and he also would not be serviceable for any special teams.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Feels like a Steve Yzerman project to me. With McIsaac injured, he might a spot in Grand Rapids, with a fast track to Detroit.
Other than Leddy, he's looking at Dekeyser, Staal, Oesterle as competition. It's as good of a spot as any to be in.
Wings tend to shy away from finnish players. The Golden knights are closing in on the amount of finns who have played at least one NHL game..

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Good news.

Finally, Sami Niku gets a fresh start.

For years, Jets screwed Sami's development.

The good thing is, he is only 24 and i hope the damage wasn't too big
and mentally he is still good.

Man, ive really grown to loath the Winnipeg Jets current franchise (mainly because of PoMo)
what they did to Laine, what they did to Niku and still doing to Vesalainen and especially to Heinola

Its not just Finnish prospects/players thou; Russian's, Czech's and Swedes too

Hope Hawks would go for him. Hawks D is fine but adding someone like Niku would be a bonus.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd be surprised if he didn't get at least a little bit more time to run out his game in the NHL. But maybe he's decided heading back to Europe to rehabilitate his status is the better long-term bet?

He's kinda trending like a Phillip Larsen type. He can move the puck and he's got some offensive ability, but if he physically can't defend...what exactly is he?

I'll admit, i've kinda fallen for both of them in terms of "potential upside". But at some point, you've gotta stop falling for the same trick i guess. Defending is still important for defencemen.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Good news.

Man, ive really grown to loath the Winnipeg Jets current franchise (mainly because of PoMo)
what they did to Laine, what they did to Niku and still doing to Vesalainen and especially to Heinola

Hope Hawks would go for him. Hawks D is fine but adding someone like Niku would be a bonus.

I also hope the Hawks decide to add him to their starting roster, those divisional matchups are gonna be big games.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Good news.

Its not just Finnish prospects/players thou; Russians, Czechs and Swedes too

The fresh start might be in the AHL or the KHL though.

I think neither the Jets nor Niku have done what is best for Sami. He could have been an NHLer. If he still can? Not as sure.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Good news.

Yes lets not hold the players themselves accountable at all. All victims of circumstance. Why is Ehlers doing alright? Connor? Wouldn’t the same environment affect them as well?

Reactions: ninetyeight

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Easily top6 dmen for NHL level. What I have watched Jets games he has looked many games their best dmen.

Shocked if someone won't take him. I would love to see him in Blues.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If you ever played Nintendo Ice Hockey as a kid he is basically the skinny guy who can skate but bounces off all the bigger players and ends up on his ass. A skinny guy with Fabio-esque hair.
Is he the kind of D man who looks great for the 5% of his ice time he has the puck, but absolutely terrible for the 95% of his ice time that he doesn’t?

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Easily top6 dmen for NHL level. What I have watched Jets games he has looked many games their best dmen.

Shocked if someone won't take him. I would love to see him in Blues.
This can’t be a serious post. I have watched every shift that Sami played and on several of those shifts he approached mediocrity. On most shifts he was horrid and showed no inclination to actually be a defenseman. Jets fans badly needed him to be a decent player but he just never got there. Best defenseman? Not a chance. Ever.

SlightlyStoned

Dec 7, 2018
Agents comments via google translate:

Winnipeg Jets' Finnish defender Sami Niku has made a tough decision.
Niku asked Jets to terminate his one-way contract.
Sami informed them last weekend that he wants to leave, Nku's player agent Jarmo Kork tells Ilta-Sanomat.

The solution is exceptional.
I don't know if there is anyone in the history of our Finnish players who would have dismantled the one-way deal on his own initiative. The initiative came entirely from Sam himself, Kork says.
Canadian channel TSN, meanwhile, said Monday that the Jets have put Niku, 24, on the transfer list.
NIKU's start in North America was promising. In his first season in the 2017–18 AHL, the youth world champion hit a whopping 54 (16 + 38) power points in 76 matches. He was chosen as the best defender in the farm league.

After the entrant agreement, Jets made a one-way extension deal with Niku.
We assumed he would get a good display position, Kork says.
In the end, though, the thoughts of Jets head coach Paul Maurice and Niku on the game didn’t match.
Koutsi (Maurice) forbade Sam to strongly attack. Maurice is a good coach, but his tactics are terribly defensive. Sami just didn’t fit into his plans.

During the four seasons, Niku, who is an offensive defender in profile, played a total of 54 NHL matches in the Jets with powers of 2 + 8 = 10.
Last season, the number of matches was down to six, which made Niku camp react.
At the beginning of February, we asked the club to make a turn.
However, the player deal did not materialize for one reason or another.
-We always asked every couple of weeks if Niku could be turned.

NIKU enjoys an annual salary of $ 725,000 or € 618,000 in Winnipeg, but now he was ready to give it up. Termination of the contract at the initiative of the player knows the end of the salary payment.
He wants more to get to play than to make big money, Kork says.
Sami sees that a defender like him has no use in Winnipeg.

At Niku’s request, the Jets placed him on a so-called waiver transfer list from which any NHL club can pick him up within a day.

If no club grabs JYP was raised, he will be released from the NHL contract.

Source:
https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000008278678.html

Reactions: jonlin

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Good news.

Someone from Finland complaining about how the Jets develop their Finish prospects… LOL. The Jets do a great job as a Draft and Develop franchise.

Frankly, I hope the Jets stop drafting players from Finland. They seem to have a bad attitude and/or don’t want to put in the full effort to become complete NHL players.

Reactions: Pongs21

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Someone from Finland complaining about how the Jets develop their Finish prospects… LOL. The Jets do a great job as a Draft and Develop franchise.

Frankly, I hope the Jets stop drafting players from Finland. They seem to have a bad attitude and/or don’t want to put in the full effort to become complete NHL players.

He was a 7th rounder that wasn't expected to turn into anything, but had a couple good camps and played really well in the AHL. It's a miracle that he got that far at all. A two-player sample of Niku and Laine aren't really indicative - we still have Vesalainen and Heinola (among others) that seem to be panning out okay, without any attitude issues.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Good news.

This era will later be known "The wasted PoMo years". I hope Niku gets a fair shot on a team looking for an offensive top 4 D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad