Contract Termination: [WPG] Sami Niku (cleared; signs with MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2006
So does this mean he forfeited a year of one-way NHL salary? He has to have a contract ready to do this, otherwise it would be financially insane.
He left $750,000 US dollars on the table by agreeing to terminate. I don’t believe he has a contract lined up elsewhere. If he does, it’s not likely for this much.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Seems kind of puzzling when you consider that Niku probably had a good chance of becoming a UFA after this season - Either as a Group VI UFA if he doesn't play more than 25 NHL games, or as unqualified RFA if he plays more than that but the Jets decide to move on.

Guessing the Jets had already made him aware that he was most likely either going to spend another year mostly sitting in the pressbox or might end up on waivers and sent to Manitoba if he doesn't clear. I would assume he either goes to another camp on a PTO where he has a better shot at the NHL, or signs a two-way with a European Assignment Clause so he can go back to Europe if he ends up at some point clearing waivers and gets sent to the AHL.
The guy wants to play and is too good to be a benchwarmer. This makes sense in that way, and it's beneficial for both parties. This way he gets a new shot in a new surrrounding, and it can't be worse than being on the Jets (for him, I mean. Not a slight at the Jets as a team!).

Reactions: larmex99

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
That's what it looks like. The guy gambled on himself and it's a major uphill battle to make it pay off.
I respect that, and it tells us that he by no means has given up or thinks less of himself after a rough couple of years. There's lots of hockey left in Niku and I wish him the best of luck in landing a job with a coach and system that fits him.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I respect that, and it tells us that he by no means has given up or thinks less of himself after a rough couple of years. There's lots of hockey left in Niku and I wish him the best of luck in landing a job with a coach and system that fits him.
Really unfortunate he ran into injury problems and lost his place on the team when they had zero defensive depth. Never really got a chance when he returned - combination poor play in limited showings and coaching decisions.

Hope he gets picked up and earns a spot somewhere.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Is he left handed? Could be a good gamble for the Habs, but they might prefer Romanov anyway

Reactions: Stubu

paragon

May 5, 2010
So does this mean he forfeited a year of one-way NHL salary? He has to have a contract ready to do this, otherwise it would be financially insane.
Not that insane. Pretty sure he can get a contract somewhere. Even if he takes a hit this year he can be in a better position going forward.

Reactions: lanky and egelband

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I feel like Winnipeg is a good drafting and developing team. Everyone has misses.

He was a 7th round pick so he is not exactly a miss. Very few 7th rounders ever make the NHL. That said he did win the defencemen of the year award in the AHL so that raised expectations by a lot. Some say it was poor development by the Jets but I say they turned a 7th rounder into the NHL bubble player but he simply could go no further. So maybe very good development? But by the end of the day he still a 7th rounder so again not much of a miss.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
The fact that no NHL teams were willing to pick up his contract of $750,000 for free is very telling. Obviously no NHL team thought he was worthy as a reclamation project at his current salary. So does this mean he is out of the NHL? Depend on what Niku wants. I'm sure he can sign a 2 way deal with some NHL team or maybe he goes to the the KHL or Europe. I think his style of playing could be very successful in the KHL. No matter where he ends up playing, as a Jet fan I wish him all the success he can get and wish him well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaska

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
The Jets must have been Stone'd letting this guy go for nothing. If anything a good trade would have been a Stone toss away. It hurts to think what could have been if Chevey had the Stone's to trade him when the time was right. Of course he could only do so much with a fickle fanbase Stone-walling him on every move...

Mark my words, the Jets will be Stone cold this year.

Mark Stone

Nov 24, 2006
The Jets must have been Stone'd letting this guy go for nothing. If anything a good trade would have been a Stone toss away. It hurts to think what could have been if Chevey had the Stone's to trade him when the time was right. Of course he could only do so much with a fickle fanbase Stone-walling him on every move...

Mark Stone
Are you okay?

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
The fact that no NHL teams were willing to pick up his contract of $750,000 for free is very telling. Obviously no NHL team thought he was worthy as a reclamation project at his current salary. So does this mean he is out of the NHL? Depend on what Niku wants. I'm sure he can sign a 2 way deal with some NHL team or maybe he goes to the the KHL or Europe. I think his style of playing could be very successful in the KHL. No matter where he ends up playing, as a Jet fan I wish him all the success he can get and wish him well.

He'll sign a two-way somewhere with a good chance of playing up.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

Mark my words, the Jets will be Stone cold this year. e

LOL! So because some HFboard person thought that Niku was worth more then Stone that you actually think that such a deal was on the table? :laugh:

I've got some ocean front property to sell you in Saskatchewan. Don't worry I can see that nothing gets pass you so it will be at a good price. :laugh:

:facepalm:

Reactions: KingBogo

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

Mark Stone
The player asked to be let out of his contract and the team did him a solid by agreeing. Not sure who is stoned here.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba

Mark Stone
You do realize the entire rest of the NHL also passed on him for free right? Thats what clearing waivers means.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yes he's left handed, 10 points in 54 games played. Pretty meh if you ask me.

Petry was older when Montreal acquired him and did not have great stats either.

Reclamation project is what Niku is. Not sure the Habs are the best fit since, like I said, they have Romanov in that spot, but a team will surely take a flyer on him to help offensively based on his ahl stats

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
It’s too bad it seemed every time he was about to get his shot he would get hurt.

I get why Jet fans were excited about him. I’ve seen plenty of fan bases get excited for far less than AHL defenseman of the year as a 20 year old. Some people want to act like Jet fans did a sudden about face on their excitement. It’s been 3 years. Haters gonna hate I guess.

He looks so pretty with the puck on his stick throwing sauce all over the ice. Unfortunately for him scoring hasn’t been a problem for the Jets, defense has. They need their defensemen to you know, play defense first and offense second.

But now he’s about 9th/10th on the Jets depth chart with no real path to an NHL job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubu and GreenLine

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The guy wants to play and is too good to be a benchwarmer. This makes sense in that way, and it's beneficial for both parties. This way he gets a new shot in a new surrrounding, and it can't be worse than being on the Jets (for him, I mean. Not a slight at the Jets as a team!).
By now he is more no good than too good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad