Contract Termination: [WPG] Sami Niku (cleared; signs with MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Pretty good puckmoving D. Not very reliable in his own zone though. Could still have some upside. I doubt he goes unclaimed.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
He seemed to do well in the AHL. Wouldn't be surprised to see a team give him a chance with a change of scenery.

Reactions: jonlin

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A defender with 80p in 114gp in AHL. I doubt he goes overseas. Someone will take him as a reclamation project.
The team would have to keep him on their NHL roster or waive him again. Most teams have their own prospects knocking on the door.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
A defender with 80p in 114gp in AHL. I doubt he goes overseas. Someone will take him as a reclamation project.

I doubt the Jets would be willing to terminate his deal unless he is going to Europe. I would think they'd rather take the chance he clears waivers then let him be free to sign with another NHL team. Unless they truly believe he sucks.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I doubt the Jets would be willing to terminate his deal unless he is going to Europe. I would think they'd rather take the chance he clears waivers then let him be free to sign with another NHL team. Unless they truly believe he sucks.

He is not physical at all and below average in his own zone. He is decent on the rush and his passing and PP is very good. Playing say 3rd pairing with a defensive minded D, 10-12min/g and 2nd PP could do wonders. At 0.8M any team with cap should try him out.

Reactions: hn777

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
odd move. why not regular waivers and have him play in the AHL (if not claimed). Cap friendly has the jets using 41 of 50 contracts currently so not like they are going to sign 10 guys.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Please go to Flyers Niku. We need more finns. That's why we've sucked these last years. You are for sure better than Hägg.
Now we have Ristolainen (not a fan), Tuomaala drafted. Now we want you, Kemell, perhaps Laine after this season and why not plenty more just like the Canes.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
He is not physical at all and below average in his own zone. He is decent on the rush and his passing and PP is very good. Playing say 3rd pairing with a defensive minded D, 10-12min/g and 2nd PP could do wonders. At 0.8M any team with cap should try him out.

I'm a fan of Niku, it's just very unusual for a mutual contract termination unless a player is going to a different league. Especially a younger guy who has thrived at every other level and not given much of a chance in the NHL. Hopefully he can go somewhere to get some minutes and put it together, but I wonder what playing like 30 games in the last 3 years does to a younger player's development.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
He's really struggled in the NHL but he also hasn't played many games. He also looked good when he was with the Jets' AHL team. It might be worth a low-risk, one-year, two-way contract for a team that has room at LHD (he's played on both sides too), and if it doesn't work, you waive him again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad