Contract Termination: [WPG] Sami Niku (cleared; signs with MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Probably because numbers dont tell the whole story, thats why.

I feel like being awarded the Eddie Shore Award for best AHL defenseman is a pretty decent accomplishment and is a fair reason to be excited about a prospect.

If you saw any of his games/highlights from that season they were great. I feel like there was good reason to be excited about Sami Niku, regardless of what hindsight now offers us.

This being said, there are TONS of players who received the Eddie Shore Award who never made or stuck with the NHL.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not saying this as any form of speculation or implication about Niku personally.

But from what I know, he seems like he's an above replacement level defenseman with a decent pedigree who is still young and on a league minimum contract.

So that brings up the question; wonder if this is because he is not compliant with team vaccination policies, and is too far down the lineup for the Jets to consider accomodating him. It would also explain the mutual termination angle.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I feel like being awarded the Eddie Shore Award for best AHL defenseman is a pretty decent accomplishment and is a fair reason to be excited about a prospect.

If you saw any of his games/highlights from that season they were great. I feel like there was good reason to be excited about Sami Niku, regardless of what hindsight now offers us.

This being said, there are TONS of players who received the Eddie Shore Award who never made or stuck with the NHL.
Being excited no problem but it was worse than that.

I know because he was constantly being compared with Voynov for obvious reasons but Voynov wasn’t very good defensively either. People just see the offensive numbers.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I'm not saying this as any form of speculation or implication about Niku personally.

But from what I know, he seems like he's an above replacement level defenseman with a decent pedigree who is still young and on a league minimum contract.

So that brings up the question; wonder if this is because he is not compliant with team vaccination policies, and is too far down the lineup for the Jets to consider accomodating him. It would also explain the mutual termination angle.

That seems like a stretch. I think he just isn't in the Jets plans and they offered to terminate his contract instead of putting him on waivers so he can decide for himself where he goes.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

gln6bwoamx121.jpg

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
That seems like a stretch. I think he just isn't in the Jets plans and they offered to terminate his contract instead of putting him on waivers so he can decide for himself where he goes.

That's definitely the more likely conclusion lol

But that could very easily be something that we start to encounter, and given that we know 2% of players are not vaccinated, lots of people have speculated that it could happen... Just curious if this is the first instance of it is all.

Nov 24, 2006

I think it's the bolded. He's been an NHL tweener for a few years. The Jets just added two NHL D through trades, and they've got guys like Dylan Samberg, Ville Heinola, and Jon Kovacevic ahead of him as far as prospects go.

I think the Jets tried to trade him and couldn't find a taker. They probably just did him a solid and let him go find a team on his own.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That's definitely the more likely conclusion lol

But that could very easily be something that we start to encounter, and given that we know 2% of players are not vaccinated, lots of people have speculated that it could happen... Just curious if this is the first instance of it is all.
Josh Morrissey hinted that everyone in the Jets organization will be vaccinated by the start of the season. this was from last week.

maybe they knew niku wasn't going to be? not sure.

if he signs elsewhere, then the vaccination point is moot.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I feel like he's Classic case of just not enough offense or enough Defensive prowess to be top-4 defenseman in NHL. Could be star in AHL or Europe for sure.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Niku was a promising prospect that probably should have amounted to more.

He kinda seems like a classic case the backward, failed model of player development a lot of teams subscribe to. Niku is/was an offensive, risk-taking defenseman. But in order to make the NHL, he necessarily was going to have to alter his game to be more physical and play safer, so he can produce some nothing minutes on a 3rd pair.

That would really just make someone like him a worse player though. You blunt the best aspects of his game and tell him to elevate the worst aspects. Obviously, there is some minimum bar of defensive ability needed to be in the NHL, but this likely didn't help. And at the end of all that, he doesn't meaningfully improve and is let go from the organization.

Reactions: Noldo

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
If you ever played Nintendo Ice Hockey as a kid he is basically the skinny guy who can skate but bounces off all the bigger players and ends up on his ass. A skinny guy with Fabio-esque hair.

Reactions: Kibe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad