Contract Termination: [WPG] Sami Niku (cleared; signs with MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
He was on a one-way deal right, wonder why he agreed to mutually terminate the contract, if only thing he will get is a two-way deal from some other team, chances are his earnings will dip quite heavily unless he can stay in the NHL.. which is far from a guarantee. I guess if the Jets were throwing in the towel it increases his chances to play in the NHL which can be good in the long run but still :dunno:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
He was AHL Defenseman of the year 2017-2018, the kid was dynamite. Sometimes things just don't turn out.
I think fans should start taking AHL numbers with a grain of salt , even with young players. Brannstrom, D Strome absolutely lit up the A at a young age. They're still decent players but not the superstars everyone thought. Its a huge step up to the NHL, i think some people around here overrate the AHL

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
I think fans should start taking AHL numbers with a grain of salt , even with young players. Brannstrom, D Strome absolutely lit up the A at a young age. They're still decent players but not the superstars everyone thought. Its a huge step up to the NHL, i think some people around here overrate the AHL
Who said Niku would be a superstar? Most Jets fans thought he’d be a serviceable defender they got with a late draft pick.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
We thought he would be something like DeAngelo-lite (minus the locker room issues?). I guess he didn't look great at camp again, and Chevy did the gentlemanly thing to let him pick his future. It's surprising that a trade wasn't made, but I also don't see him getting a 1-way contract anymore. His game had too many flaws for Maurice to keep trying to make it work.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't think Niku is anything special. Makes sense that with the improved D he doesn't have a spot in the lineup.

When dmen around their mid 20's can't crack the lineup after getting the chance to do so, they don't tend to have any notable value.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
We thought he would be something like DeAngelo-lite (minus the locker room issues?). I guess he didn't look great at camp again, and Chevy did the gentlemanly thing to let him pick his future. It's surprising that a trade wasn't made, but I also don't see him getting a 1-way contract anymore. His game had too many flaws for Maurice to keep trying to make it work.
I don't see any takers for Niku via trade. He's an AHLer.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Buffalo should take a run at him. Don't they need some NHL ready competition on LHD? He's on the younger side of competition too, so it isn't like he can't grow into a role.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm not saying this as any form of speculation or implication about Niku personally.

But from what I know, he seems like he's an above replacement level defenseman with a decent pedigree who is still young and on a league minimum contract.

So that brings up the question; wonder if this is because he is not compliant with team vaccination policies, and is too far down the lineup for the Jets to consider accomodating him. It would also explain the mutual termination angle.

He's played enough NHL games to make the value of the bolded statement equal to holding a 6/49 ticket. There's a chance he still turns into something but he's been exceptionally awful in the NHL.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Feels like a Steve Yzerman project to me. With McIsaac injured, he might a spot in Grand Rapids, with a fast track to Detroit.
Other than Leddy, he's looking at Dekeyser, Staal, Oesterle as competition. It's as good of a spot as any to be in.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Ahl player through and through. Should have listened to his fans and freed him years ago chevy. Why he was signed to a 2 year contract I'll never know.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Another overrated Winnipeg prospect that was going to be god-tier that ended up far from it. Common theme.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
The same TJ Brennan who played in North America and was a reclamation project for about a decade before going overseas?

Not sure this is the argument you think it is.

pretty sure after 10 years a reclamation project is just a guy that can’t cut it in the big leagues. I’m not really sure but I’d wager TJ didn’t get any one way contracts in those 10 years.

ps, nice user name if it applies to the Thursday tune

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He was on a one-way deal right, wonder why he agreed to mutually terminate the contract, if only thing he will get is a two-way deal from some other team, chances are his earnings will dip quite heavily unless he can stay in the NHL.. which is far from a guarantee. I guess if the Jets were throwing in the towel it increases his chances to play in the NHL which can be good in the long run but still :dunno:
I think the “mutual terminations” of minor AHL deals are not quite mutual. The team may simply sit a player to pressure them to terminate the deal so they can dump a contract. He had 750k minor league salary’s if he takes a regular two-way deal he’s making 1ox less in the AHL. (Assuming he gets picked up by another NHL team.)

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
Another overrated Winnipeg prospect that was going to be god-tier that ended up far from it. Common theme.

This post is terrible. Who said Niku was going to be that tier? I can think of only two prospects for the Jets that were supposed to be good that didn't pan out. Niku and Petan. It was thought Niku would play in the NHL and be good. Not some god level superstar.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Buffalo should take a run at him. Don't they need some NHL ready competition on LHD? He's on the younger side of competition too, so it isn't like he can't grow into a role.

not really

on LD they have Dahlin, butcher, Hagg, and a bunch of young ones in Bryson, , Samuelson

at RD if they don’t switch Dahlin there they have Jokiharju, Miller, and Pysyk.

Power plays in 22/23 at LD so I think Dahlin moves to right sude. They have some younger RDs in the system.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Probably got fed up at the fact he wasn't going to be in the Jets line-up leading to a falling out with the Jets.

Jets should've traded him with his high value when they had the chance.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Wasn't he the next big thing?
I don't recall anyone taking that position. We were excited that he may add an interesting wrinkle as an LHD on a team with Trouba, Byfuglien and Myers as RHD. I think he's ok if he's got a good partner who can cover some of his lapses.

As I'm writing this I remember he really seemed to prefer playing the right side even though he shoots left. I wonder if that could have played a role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad